The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Parrot mouths

I have heard many opinions on whether parrot mouths are a genetic problem or not, but can anyone direct me to actual studies? Also, would you breed a mare back that has produced a foal with a severe parrot mouth? If so, what were the circumstances?

How old is the foal right now?

Just wondering as many foals will outgrow it.
    Last edited by stoicfish; Aug. 4, 2010 at 12:08 PM.

I can't direct you to any studies but I had a colt with a parrott mouth a few years back. We knew many ,many horses in the top and bottom of the pedigree. We talked to the breeder of the stallion line in Germany as well as the breeder of the motherline in Germany. They knew of no parrott mouth horse in the last 30 years.

My vet and several University vets deemed this to be environmental , developemental ,etc and said they wouldn't hesitate to make the same breeding. I did and the full brother was normal. Hope that helps.

Again, no studies, but I bred to stallion who had a (slight) parrot mouth -- didn't find out till later. His daughter got the same parrot mouth and HER daughter got it as well -- the other stallion did not have one. So I'm pretty sure it's genetic.

That being said, this mare AND her daughter were totally awesome horses: had the gaits, the conformation, the brain, the attitude...the fact that their upper jaw was 1/4-1/2" over the lower jaw is pretty darn minor in my opinion, all things considered.

Never impacted them in any way whatsoever. Dental care on a regular basis, that's all.

To me, unless it extreme, parrot mouth is a non-issue, especially compared to all the other things you can find wrong with a horse.

BTW, there was a long thread on this just recently -- might do a search.

I bought a nine month foal that had a slight parrot mouth but by the time she was two it had dissappeared........the stallion only had 4 foals and I heard that another one of the foals had a slight parrot mouth but same thing as my foal by the time he was two it was gone.

My guess it is heritary.

Dalemma

My advice - feed the foal from a bucket on the ground. This helps with the parrot mouth and they'll grow out of it sooner than later (usually).

I'm not a geneticist, but why wouldn't it be genetic? I can see where environment MAY be a factor, but that would be an exception, I would think.

I know the AQHA thinks it's a bad idea. They check teeth in the halter classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    I'm not a geneticist, but why wouldn't it be genetic? I can see where environment MAY be a factor, but that would be an exception, I would think.

I know the AQHA thinks it's a bad idea. They check teeth in the halter classes.
    It can certainly be genetic and most often probably is but when you have no horses with parrott mouths from the top and bottom of the pedigree for as along as breeders and their fathers can remember......... It can also certainly be environmental / developemental.

Same with foals born with no eyes.......developemental / environmental.

Of course a parrott mouth is not desired but it won't keep the horse from doing anything it was bred to do if maintained properly.