The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Where there are only carousel horses to be had...

Default Does anyone ever school in white breeches?

I found my favorite brand and style of breeches on deep sale. The only color left in my size is white. Does anyone school in white breeches? I'm not quite at the point of jumper classics yet, but someday hopefully, and I know I'll regret not saving the $50 bucks then. And it will be a good incentive not not gain any weight...Do I buy them?

My schooling breeches get sooo dirty, despite my efforts, that I could never get white! I can't imagine what they would look like by the end of the day!

if you've got some extra cash, why not? I personally would not school in white unless possibly my horse was groomed for me and all I had to do was jump on and then off! If they do end up getting super dirty you could always dye them later

Quote Originally Posted by Cacique View Post
    Does anyone school in white breeches?
    I do, but only when riding my horse bareback down a beach while having my period ...

Sorry, I just couldn't resist!!

No, but I know someone who schools in a white pair she dyed another color. They look awesome.

I have just given up on using white breeches to show in, so I would never ever school in them simply because of how dirty they would get....

Where there are only carousel horses to be had...

Ooh, I seriously liked the idea of dying them. I'm going to buy them! ahah

I sometimes school in ex-show white breeches (as in, got too dirty to show). But I have my horses at home so nobody else is forced to witness this, because they just get dirtier . . .

I wouldn't be able to keep white clean, but I would definitely buy them and dye them if the price is right!

Quote Originally Posted by ToiRider View Post
    I do, but only when riding my horse bareback down a beach while having my period ...

Have a friend who mixed a pair of white breeches in with her colored laundry -- They're now pink, and she schools in them --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

School in them? Hell no. There's nothing more unflattering than a pair of white pants made out of what amounts to saran wrap.

But if they're nice and fit you, buy them. Save them for when you're ready or dye them.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

I bought a pair of cotton ones really cheap and dyed them hunter green. 3 things to be aware of. #1 know that with the hot water needed to dye them, they may shrink a but. #2 The thread probably won't dye so you will have white sticking. #3 The knee patches may come out a different shade.
    Mine came out more of an olive color even though the rest of the breech was sort of a faded hunter green.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

When I was living in Ecuador and had full care (as in my first horse was waiting for me as soon as I drove up, and my second and third would be brought directly to the ring so that I didn't even have to ride back and forth), I often schooled in white britches because the sun was so strong. But now that I'm back to a more "normal" horse care routine, I wouldn't dream of wearing my whites every day. Too much grooming and bathing and tack cleaning. As another poster said, no matter how hard I try to stay clean, I never do.

If they're super cheap, I see no problem picking them up and setting them aside. And if you really want to wear them and they are machine washable, bleach might be a good friend
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

I tie dyed a 'stained' pair of white breeches once. Ended up being my favorite breeches ever (it was a pretty subdued tie dye.. just burgundy on white, and mostly burgundy. I ended up with a really fun pattern)

Because I want my butt to look bigger? LOL!

Yes, I school in white breeches. They were man's breeches that were on sale for $5 at the local tack shop. Too good of a deal to pass up. It's schooling. Unless you plan to take a photo for George Morris, I would not worry about it