The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle - Hermes Brasilia or Beval Butet

Any feedback on the Hermes Brasilia, especially with how it compares to the Beval Butet would be greatly appreciated. I currently own a Hermes Steinkraus and after trying a Butet, I find the the Butet much more comfortable and secure. However, I've never ridden in a Brasilia and was wondering how it may compare to the Butet. Also, how about it's general fit on horses? Butets' standard tree seems somewhat narrow. Thanks!

While I have never ridden in a Brasilia, a friend told me it is just as hard and uncomfortable as the Steinkraus model. I would go with Butet. And while the original tree may be on the narrow side, they now offer the FB2 tree, which is more open through the withers and gullet, and offers more fitting options.

I tried Brasilia and found it uncomfortable, plus it did not fit my horse at all. After trying dozens of other saddles I bought Butet 5 years ago and has been very happy with it. Medium tree fits both of my horses, WB and Tb cross with very different backs.

I rode in a Brasilia for a week last summer. Despite it being nearly identical in measurements to my Antares, I still have a scar from the sore it left on my thigh. It was horrible, and I have no clue why anyone would pay that kind of money for a saddle like that one. But, to each their own.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

I test rode a Brasilia and they are fairly uncomfortable compared to the butet or antares. I felt like I was about to come right out of the saddle! Definently go with the butet and plus you save like $1500.