The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default 105 degrees today and tomorrow

It's been over a 100 for the last week. Now it's moving up to record heights. Then we're supposed to get a break all the way down to 91.

I'm actually sprinkling my old horses' paddock with a lawn sprinkler.

Anyone have heat survival tips for woman and beast?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Please tell me you have low humidity!

Lots of water for both. Shade for the beast. Light-weight, long-sleeved shirts for the humans and a broad-brimmed hat to keep the sun off.

When we lived in Arabia, we didn't try to ride in the heat of the day. Pretty much from 7 am to 4 pm was brutal in the summer. The road and landscape workers could be seen in the hottest part of the day still working, completely covered head to toe with work overalls and gutra (head covering) wrapped securely around their entire head and face. Believe it or not, they stayed cooler than way than they could have in shorts and tees. Same concept around here with ranchers and their long-sleeved work shirts and fugly sombrero-esque hats.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Thumbs down Seriously Hot here with HIGH Humidity ~

Too hot here for too long ~ seriously ~ high high and humidity ~ hosing ALL and they are doing "not much" just some turn out time in pastures or round pens in the woods and then showers and back inside to the Wind Tunnel = Many, Many Fans ~ individual stall fans & ceiling fans & aisle drum fans ~ electric bill should be just as serious ~ OH ! and water bill too ! Just trying to survive ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Pretty much what ZuZu said.

I feel your pain. I have two oldsters and we had high temps and humidty for couple of weeks straight. Didn't attempt any activity except the ones that cooled everyone off. Hosing off (4 times the day it was 115* heat index), and fans like said above. Try to keep the water cool to get them to drink more.

We have dipped down into the 70's this past weekend with rain - It was wonderful!!! Heat expected back tomrrow .

Weather guy said nature tries to balance things out so when extremely hot soon will be lower then normal temps. Judging from this past year he seems right - extreme winter w/ more snow then we've ever had, and hot-hot-hot summer!

Good luck and wishing you cooler days.

In addition to the suggestions above, be careful about yourself. We have had heat indexes in the 120 range this summer though this week has been cooler.

Are you alone? Don't stay outside very long, I try to come in every half hour and drink at least a pint of water. Heat exhaustion/stroke can creep up on you before you know it and can be deadly.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

89% Humidity. Heat Index up to 121 degrees today and tomorrow.

Misery.

Unhappy 100* Today

100* predicted today --- humidity 45% ~ heat index 110*ish guess we are lucky in the humidity department at least today ??? or we would be "scolded" sp ? tomatoes ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Same here. What ZuZu said. Can't wait to see my electric bill. Heat index yesterday on friend's weather station peaked at 127!!

Still had a heat index of 113 after dark.

Grotesque.

My electric bill for June 17th to July 17th jumped 25%. I hate to think what the next one will be. The one from May to June almost tripled, but spring brings low usage.

We were 103F yesterday and humidity 36%, which is high for us.

Yep, it is hot.

Horses stay under the shed, that is very open and has a cross flow with the big doors open:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...g?t=1280853331

We're also having high heat...my air conditioner has been running 24/7 which is very unusual. I am not looking forward to my electric bill. We've been 110+ for weeks, and relatively high humidity for our desert.

As far as the horses go, I find the youngsters in decent condition are okay, but the old ones or horses in poor condition (especially overweight) struggle. Well-ventilated sheds, fans, and not working in the heat of the day are your friend. I'll also occasionally soak a good fly sheet and put it on a horse. It seems to work better than simply wetting the horse.

We're having the same weather and my OTTB colic-ed last Thursday from dehydration-despite ample water being available 24/7.

I think I have now convinced the barn to dump and refill troughs and buckets. When I temped the turnout troughs at 6pm (when they go out right now) it was 92 degrees on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by IBWmassage View Post
    We're having the same weather and my OTTB colic-ed last Thursday from dehydration-despite ample water being available 24/7.

I think I have now convinced the barn to dump and refill troughs and buckets. When I temped the turnout troughs at 6pm (when they go out right now) it was 92 degrees on Friday.
    One way we found to give horses an incentive to drink more is to let them meander around several pens and tanks, so they will drink a little here, there and over yonder.
    This way, they do end up drinking more than from just one tank.

FYI, a mill finish trailer roof (and other shiney/mill finish parts) can reach temps of 190+ in the hot North Carolina sun. OUCH!!

Bartley Heath
    bartley@DoubleDTrailers.com
    Buy Factory Direct and $ave at DoubleDTrailers.com

Wow DDTM, that would be awful for a horse! It is 100 here today and I had a 4:00 vet appt w/ one horse. I left the trailer parked in the barn to keep it cool, then hosed off the mare just before I loaded her up. Drove 70 mph and she arrived in good shape.

I did find some nice charts of actual inside surface readings that show a difference of 30 degrees between mill finish and white insulated roof. These readings were taking in May in Colorado where the average high is 70 degree. Can you imagine the difference at 100 degrees.

Bartley Heath
    bartley@DoubleDTrailers.com
    Buy Factory Direct and $ave at DoubleDTrailers.com