The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Some questions about Renegade boots

How durable are the Renegade boots, not only with regard to the sole wearing out but also the rest of the boot? Do parts need to be replaced regularly?

What happens if the horse over-reaches and steps on the boot? I have used easy boot epics and one of the problems with them is that when my horse over reaches at the gallop she has torn/ripped off the gaiters- and then they have to be replaced.

Do they have any sort of guarantee?

These boots are for my OTTB and would be used for trail riding (including a few days a year in the Sierras where trails can include some difficult granite sections). They would also be used for arena work and jumping.

Check out this blog: http://www.bootsandsaddles4mel.blogspot.com/
    Scroll down and read about her experience using the Renegade glue-ons during Tevis.

She also uses regular Renegades and knows a lot about them, she would be a good resource.

The stars at night shine big and bright...

My OTTB did exactly what you describe. He over reached and pulled off epic gaiters at the canter/gallop. I have been very pleased switching to Easycare Glove boots. Good fit is critical and you need to "rent" the "fitkit" from Easycare to ensure the correct size. I have not yet tried the Renegade boots FWIW.
    "Right is right if nobody is right, and wrong is wrong if everybody is wrong."

-Archbishop Fulton Sheen

Quote Originally Posted by txladybug View Post
    My OTTB did exactly what you describe. He over reached and pulled off epic gaiters at the canter/gallop. I have been very pleased switching to Easycare Glove boots. Good fit is critical and you need to "rent" the "fitkit" from Easycare to ensure the correct size. I have not yet tried the Renegade boots FWIW.
    Thanks for your input. My barefoot trimmer attempted to fit her to the easyboot gloves but unfortunately they didn't fit her. I believe she was between sizes. Too bad because I think that would have been a nice option.

I'm not sure about a warranty, however, I can offer a few things:

When you order the Renegades, you can choose the "cut back" option, where they will trim 1/8" off the back of the bottom of the boot, making it less likely that your horse will grab it if he over-reaches. (I chose this option because my horse's hooves are nearly round, so it gave him a better fit.)

Keep in mind also that the Renegades are designed for naturally trimmed hooves with a low heel and short toe. If your horse's hind toes are too long, it's possible that a good barefoot trimmer may be able to assist and reduce the likelihood of pulling off the front boots.

And lastly, all of the hardware is replaceable, so if she did over-reach, grab the heel cup and break the cable, you can replace it without having to buy a new boot.

ETA: sorry, just noticed that you DO have a barefoot trimmer. So I'm sure (s)he's already got her trimmed properly
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

They're very durable - Mine (three pairs for three different horses) are going on their third year, and I'm about to replace the pair for one horse. I use them fairly lightly - only when the footing is hard/rocky, or they've just been trimmed and are a bit tender.

The plastic is very tough, and seems to last much longer than the Old Macs I was using previously. I haven't had to replace the velcro yet, but I did buy extra strips, thinking I would need to. Cleaning the mud off immediately after the ride seems to help extend the life of the velcro. I haven't had any of the cables break, but those are also replaceable.

For what it's worth, the pair I'm replacing is on my husband's TWH. He's got a long overstride, and will sometimes overreach, especially when gaiting. He's pulled the boots a handful of times doing this, usually when I haven't tightened the cables enough. He's never managed to rip the boots when he's pulled them, but they do show noticeably more wear than the ones worn by both my Arabs. The cut-back option is really designed for round feet, and may not make a difference if your horse overreaches - the TWH will generally grab the heel captivator, not the sole of the boot.

Good luck!

The stars at night shine big and bright...

Sometimes if they are between sizes you can use the larger size with the powerstrap added to the Glove boot. FWIW. Ask your trimmer about that option.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukluk View Post
    Thanks for your input. My barefoot trimmer attempted to fit her to the easyboot gloves but unfortunately they didn't fit her. I believe she was between sizes. Too bad because I think that would have been a nice option.
    "Right is right if nobody is right, and wrong is wrong if everybody is wrong."

-Archbishop Fulton Sheen

So far mine are wearing like iron. I actually bought them for my mule when I take his bare feet on very rocky areas...I lend them to friends for their horses (when the boots fit of course) and have made believers of several of them.

As people have noted, the Renegades have lots of replaceable parts so they can really be kept in work. They come with spare parts anyway.

Plus, you can't find an easier hoof boot to put on and take off. I love an elegant solution to a problem, Renegades are elegant...they also come in great colours...I love my bright orange ones.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Thanks for all the input. My girl really only overreaches at a gallop. And being a Thouroughbred, it's hard to say no to a bit of a gallop on each ride. She just LOVES to run. I think part of her overreach issue is because she is long legged and short coupled. I am still wanting to get the renegades for her. I tried bell boots with my old easy boot epics but that didn't seem to help- would be nice if it would work to protect the backs of the renegades.