The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Malibu Moon

We have a 2YO MM filly who won't stop growing. She's like 17.1 already and weighs 1200 pounds. An April foal. She just shipped home from the track to go on a diet and wait till next year.

Anyone worked with any? Are they usually so big? She's super sweet to deal with, hadn't seen any aggression from her EVER until this afternoon when my filly (her good friend) & I stopped to say hi and she was tucking into her hay. Apparently, you don't mess with Big Mama's dinner.

Malibu Moon mares have been lighting NY on fire lately - Life At Ten, Devil May Care, and now Malibu Prayer. Just keep pointing out to the owner that they're not 2YOs. (Owner is disappointed his filly won't run this year.)
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Have had 3 one a mare was super sweet but average size.
    2 are geldings one is 16.3+ the other 16.1 but all have nice even tempermants and good looking individuals all round.

I have my own little virtual "Stable". This I marked as a favorite at CANTER. http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...&directory=303 16.2

I had a 16-16.1h long yearling turning 2yo at the farm this past winter. Just a big big filly all around. Nice even temperment, easy going, but boss in the field.

Mine are all big, stud boy is about 16.3 and a tank... late great mare was 16.2 and my favorite dear event mare is a big tank for "only" being 16.1.

I have 2 out of the mare that died and the 3 yr old (by Not for Love) is already over 16.2 and the 2 yr old (by Lion Hearted) was 16 when he left for FL...

I love all of them and if the owners can't wait on her you can send her my way! LOL!!!!
    owner and friend of members of the Limping And Majestic Equine Society.

We had a huge one. It never made it to the track, they gave him to a 6'5" football build guy.

I have a MM broodmare, she is huge, she's 16.3 and w-i-d-e. In 2008 she was bred to a 15.2 hand stallion and produced a colt (now a yearling) who is on track to top 16 hands. This year she produced a filly by Partner's Hero (my mistake, didn't realize how big he actually is, stallion register lists him at 16.2) and it was the biggest foal the farm's ever seen. Her legs were so long that she couldn't stand on her own without assistance for 2 days. They had to bottle-feed her until she could get up and down by herself. This filly is destined to top out at 17 hands or bigger, she is the size of a short yearling already.

Needless to say, I went back to a smaller stallion for this year. Also wanted to mention my mare is really heavy-boned, meaning her legs are solid and thick. She was very sound when she raced, which I'm hoping passes down to her progeny.

In my opinion MM has 2 kinds of progeny - the type like my mare, and a racier, finer model. My mare's full sister, interestingly enough, was the finer type. If anyone's seen Life at Ten in person, she's built a lot like my girl.

Default Xena the Great

Slewdledo,
    I have Xena, racing name 'Grade A. Fancy.' She was approximately 175 pounds at birth. The broodmare, Alden's Way (Doris) (by John Alden) won't look at anyone for days after foaling Xena!

Just before weaning, she got so big she had to kneel to nurse. The best quote from that era was "why is the one broodmare nursing on another broodmare?"

As a yearling, I showed her at Timonium in the annual Yearling Show. She was the biggest yearling there - even bigger than the boys. She dragged me all over because she is relentlessly cheerful (thank goodness) and wanted to visit with everyone. Once we got in the ring, she pulled me over the top of John Ward, the judge. Needless to say we didn't get a ribbon!

At two, she jumped out of her pasture and followed the hunt. Someone from the barn had to chase her down.

That same year I had Paula Turner (the woman who broke Seattle Slew using basic dressage to help him carry himself better - she is an incredible horsewoman) come and evaluate her. At this point she was over 17 hands. Paula said she could race but to wait until she was 4 to start. Excellent call Paula!

Early at 4 we taught her to W-T-C, do flying changes, and jump a small course. One of my vets up here used to work the Mid-Atlantic tracks. He said she would NEVER run - she was too big.

Then she went to the track to begin her training. Don (White) loved her but had to deal with people poking fun at her size and weight. Plus, she kept growing and growing.... People called her the 'Vermont Draft Horse' and joked she was there to pull the gate. Xena would follow Don around like she was a large dog.

I'm pleased to report she was a winner and ran in the money several times. Her win came in a MSW at 80-1. I thought the track announcer, Keith, at Philly Park was going to fall over - he was screaming 'Bombs Away!' as she went under the wire. The TVG crew were totally befuddled - she had two starts prior to her win and had lost by about a combined total of around 48 lengths (I'd have to go look it up). The one on-air personality just kept saying 'this is just so wrong, man' when faced with her statistics.

I have to add Xena had heart. The race she won proved it - she was passed on the backstretch, fell behind, then fought her way back to the front.

Now, she's somewhere around 18 hands (I haven't had a stick on her lately). I hope to foxhunt her this fall.

My thought for the day is that those Seattle Slew genetics collided with the Speak John qualities and POOF! Xena was born. She is just huge and such a happy and wonderful character.

Malibu Moon is the best looking stallion I have EVER seen. Balance, bone, and bodacious. And, what a gift he gave to Doris and I with Xena!

Best,
    Hallie I. McEvoy
    Racing Dreams, LLC

1 members found this post helpful.

Oddly, he is the feature stallion in the lasted BloodHorse!!!!

Happy reading!

Oh yea, my Malibu Moon stud muffin is on my profile page.... love that horse!!!!
    owner and friend of members of the Limping And Majestic Equine Society.

i have a client/friend that has a MM.her name is malibu fire, not sure how she is doing though.
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Speakin of size, how big is Dixie View!? Don't know how they stuff her in the gate. She towers over the other runners. So adorable.

Apologies slewdledo, don't mean to hijack, I've just been wondering since seeing her race.

Wow MM is a beaut! All these big guys have "presence" for sure.

Is MM known for producing big-boned offspring?
    Starts with an 'S,' ends with a 'T.' You figure it out.

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, picking up where we left off ..."

Quote Originally Posted by haligator View Post
    Slewdledo,
    I have Xena, racing name 'Grade A. Fancy.' She was approximately 175 pounds at birth. The broodmare, Alden's Way (Doris) (by John Alden) won't look at anyone for days after foaling Xena!

Just before weaning, she got so big she had to kneel to nurse. The best quote from that era was "why is the one broodmare nursing on another broodmare?"

As a yearling, I showed her at Timonium in the annual Yearling Show. She was the biggest yearling there - even bigger than the boys. She dragged me all over because she is relentlessly cheerful (thank goodness) and wanted to visit with everyone. Once we got in the ring, she pulled me over the top of John Ward, the judge. Needless to say we didn't get a ribbon!

At two, she jumped out of her pasture and followed the hunt. Someone from the barn had to chase her down.

That same year I had Paula Turner (the woman who broke Seattle Slew using basic dressage to help him carry himself better - she is an incredible horsewoman) come and evaluate her. At this point she was over 17 hands. Paula said she could race but to wait until she was 4 to start. Excellent call Paula!

Early at 4 we taught her to W-T-C, do flying changes, and jump a small course. One of my vets up here used to work the Mid-Atlantic tracks. He said she would NEVER run - she was too big.

Then she went to the track to begin her training. Don (White) loved her but had to deal with people poking fun at her size and weight. Plus, she kept growing and growing.... People called her the 'Vermont Draft Horse' and joked she was there to pull the gate. Xena would follow Don around like she was a large dog.

I'm pleased to report she was a winner and ran in the money several times. Her win came in a MSW at 80-1. I thought the track announcer, Keith, at Philly Park was going to fall over - he was screaming 'Bombs Away!' as she went under the wire. The TVG crew were totally befuddled - she had two starts prior to her win and had lost by about a combined total of around 48 lengths (I'd have to go look it up). The one on-air personality just kept saying 'this is just so wrong, man' when faced with her statistics.

I have to add Xena had heart. The race she won proved it - she was passed on the backstretch, fell behind, then fought her way back to the front.

Now, she's somewhere around 18 hands (I haven't had a stick on her lately). I hope to foxhunt her this fall.

My thought for the day is that those Seattle Slew genetics collided with the Speak John qualities and POOF! Xena was born. She is just huge and such a happy and wonderful character.

Malibu Moon is the best looking stallion I have EVER seen. Balance, bone, and bodacious. And, what a gift he gave to Doris and I with Xena!

Best,
    Hallie I. McEvoy
    Racing Dreams, LLC
    Hallie, do you own a horse sired by Fastness?

Default Fastness

Hi Little Hound,
    Rosalita's Wish, who won this past Sunday at Philly, I bred. She is now owned by John Benson and Strait Up Stables, trained by Don White, and ridden by Saul Arias.

Because of family issues (both my parents are in rough shape), I passed her onto John Benson who had always wanted a filly/mare who could run distance on the turf. I am so pleased with how she is doing. A third at Penn on 7/17, then a win at Philly (her home track) on August 1. She is a little creature but very efficient in movement. Plus, she looks just like her mother!

Did you by chance see her run?

I think Fastness is a wonderful stallion. I'm contemplating breeding Juliet (Lyphard's Theatre) to him again in the spring, but I really miss her and want her to come home to Vermont. It's a tough decision.

Are you thinking of breeding to Fastness?

Best,
    Hallie