The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pinching w/ my knees

Any tips for this bad habit? I didn't used to to it but I've found lately doing it more, both pinching with my knees and roaching my back. I literally have quarter sized bruises on the insides of my knees after a ride. I know a lot of it stems from jumping ahead and not have enough weight in my heels. I'd love to hear some ideas on how to get rid of this habit, I am this close to taping thumb tacks to my saddle!
    “It's about the horse and that's it.” - GM

!! is the new .

Default Something Changed!

And I would look other places first vs. the heels.

So more history......Horse, saddle, injuries...

Regards,
    Medical Mike
    equestrian medical researcher
    www.equicision.com

Sounds like you had my riding teacher as a kid before I heard of hunt seat equitation and George Morris. I can still hear her shrill voice, "Grrrrrip with the knees." And nobody ever mentioned jumping ahead of the horse. Luckily I headed that off at the pass when my kids rode. Life-long habits were formed!

MM could probably give you a much better answer than I can, but I will provide my experiences. Since I started to ride (many, many years ago), I have always ridden in flat, no knee roll, no blocks, hard as a pancake saddles. I love them. I also have had four back surgeries in the past 8 years (lumbar fusions all). I recently ordered a custom County saddle because a) it seemed to provide more support for my compromised lower back and b) it was built specifically to fit my older, high withered TB.

Since the new saddle arrived and I started to ride in it, I have begun pinching with my knees (worse on my weaker right side than left, but seeing it on both legs). Swap out new saddle for old one, and no knee pinching. Switch back to new one, pinching starts.

The new saddle has knee rolls, and front and back thigh blocks, which I have never had on a saddle before. None of these features appear to be in a position which would cause me to start this bad habit, but it is there nonetheless. At the same time, my back has started to have problems again - vertabrae directly above fused area has started to deteriorate and crumble. This causes severe numbness in both legs when I ride, which could also be contributing to the pinching. I am going to continue to give the new saddle a fair chance, rep said it needs 30 hours of ride time before it would be properly broken in (it's got about 5 hours so far). Hopefully when that happens, the pinching will go away. Also, will be having a fifth surgery this fall to address new back problems, which may also help. If not, you will see an ad posted for a very new County saddle for sale.

I guess the point of all of this is that back issues/pain could definitely contribute to such a problem, as could saddle fit issues. Those are the areas I would look into to start with. Good luck!
    Last edited by 3DogNight; Aug. 2, 2010 at 01:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Sounds like you had my riding teacher as a kid before I heard of hunt seat equitation and George Morris. I can still hear her shrill voice, "Grrrrrip with the knees." And nobody ever mentioned jumping ahead of the horse. Luckily I headed that off at the pass when my kids rode. Life-long habits were formed!
    Yep! as small kids we all were taught by our instructor to grip with the knees and I've had many decades to try to break the habit. Only thing works is putting all my weight in my heels, which sometimes causes horses to tense up.

If you have fairly flat thighs, a saddle with a too narrow twist will cause more knee pinching. Try a saddle with a wider twist.