The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Skin seepage on face, pics added 08/04

I've been battling fungus on my guy's face for a month or so now. Recently had been getting better as in the hair was starting to grow back and his reverse blaze was starting to look chestnut again. Missed 2 days at the barn and I come out to seepage. Looks like he rubbed it or something but the skin is pink and not raw looking. With slight swelling. I gently cleaned it with Aloedine 600 shampoo and rinsed well. Started seeping again in about 5 minutes. No temp and tolerated the light scrubbing well. Skin was barely hot if at all. Barn was 105 so everything felt hot but his temp was 100.4. Put triple antibiotic on it and left it at that. Will check first thing in the morning. Any worse and I'll call the vet.

Can they get cellulitis in the face? The swelling makes me nervous but it is really slight. Any other suggestion would be appreciated. Oh, and he coughed several times in the 1 1/2 hours that I was there. But it was hot and dusty. TIA
    Helen
    Last edited by Always Tardy; Aug. 4, 2010 at 09:15 AM.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

A month?? Time to call the vet. It may not be a fungus ... your vet may want to do a skin scraping and see what this is.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Hard to tell from your description, but are you talking about white areas with pink skin underneath?
    Photosensitivity comes to mind.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

The Vet has seen it a week or so ago. Didn't comment one way or another. My guy has super thin skin and it's been ridiculously hot. He has always been prone to fungus, just is worse this year. Also his first year back in the heat.

By reverse blaze, I meant that his darker skin is showing so instead of a white blaze, he has a dark on but it was starting to grow hair.

I have some pics that I will try to post tomorrow. But it looks like he rubbed his face on something. Skin is pink instead of black/mottled that he has. But it doesn't "look" raw enough to have yellow serum crusting on it. He had it running down his face for about 2-3 inches so I washed his face and then went to call a friend to see what she would do and when I came back it had started oozing again. And it's not the whole pink area oozing, just a couple of spots that area hair pinker. And just a bit of swelling. Pics would help but they don't show much except you can tell where it's been rubbed.

I wouldn't worry if it was just the rub. But the serum is bothering me, combined with the slight swelling and I worry about a skin infection of some sort. It's my fault for missing 2 days but it had progressed so well in the last couple of days that I thought we were over the hump and into healing but I guess not.

Helen

Does it look anything like this?

My horse had a mystery face funk last winter (that's his picture) and the vet had no idea what it was when she came to look at it, she didn't want to take a skin scraping for whatever reason. She told me to use something called Lime Sulphur, which I guess kills any kind of icky thing (when I google it, it looks like people use it for lice). Peppy's face wasn't oozing, but maybe he wasn't scratching it as much. So this Lime Sulphur is really smelly stuff that is concentrated, I mixed with water and dabbed it on his nose with a towel. It did heal shortly after starting this. It's hard to treat these things without knowing whether it's bacterial, fungal, or what, but maybe if yours was on the upward slope to healing you had the right idea with what you were doing. What about trying a cleanser like betadine or hybaclins (sp?) instead?
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

No, although that looks owie!!!! His is smooth, just looks like the hair was rubbed off and it's leaking. The rub doesn't even look that bad. On my way to check it this morning. My only other thought is maybe one of those larger horse flies got under his mask and managed to bite him before he was able to squash it. He has a small bite on his neck and it was leaking the yellowish serum also but was a hard swollen spot. Maybe the face can't react like that?? Hoping it's better today!
    Helen

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

My high-maintenance gelding gets spots on his face that he rubs raw and then they ooze. I put a mix of Desitin and panalog on them, the panalog reduces the swelling and has antibiotics in it, and the Desitin keeps it from running down his face. I don't know what is causing it, either he is allergic to something in the field that the other two are not, or he is getting stung by something, or maybe it is fungal. The mix I put on faithfully heals them up in a matter of days.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Could it be an OCCULT SARCOID - just a suggestion - you may want to look it up and see what you think.....good luck!
    If it IS an occult sarcoid, it will need to be treated by your Vet. I have dealt with those and they can be difficult to treat.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The vet was out today and says he probably rubbed it under his flymask and kind gave himself a friction burn or rub so treatment is antibiotic/antifungal and keep a close eye on it. I'll ask her about the panalog. I'm not liking TN much at all right now.
    Thanks again,
    Helen

Sounds like you could be in my part of Tennessee, given the blase answers from your vet.

If possible, find another vet and ask for a skin scraping, if that's not possible, call the vet back and demand one.

I am not far from the Alabama border. My vet calls Middle Tennessee "the allergy armpit of the world" because the air stays stagnant unless we get some big honkin' wind storm to blow things up and over the Plateau.

He also informed me that I live in the "worse end of our county" to have to deal with skin allergies this time of year, horses or dogs----------

You may either be dealing with on-going skin eruptions due to our lovely weather and possibly high acidity in your pasture soil.

You probably have a variety of pig weed and/or nettle out there somewhere. While a content horse won't eat that stuff, they will eat the nice grass close to it and as soon as their noses touches that garbage it's like you or I getting a big case of poison oak.

Pig weed can't be killed unless the roots are pulled clear out of the ground and that's an impossible feat to accomplish on a farm.

Or your horse could have hair worms, a/k/ neck threadworms, a/k/a Onchocerca worms of which there is a HUGE thread on this forum with enough legitimate and illegitimate input to make your head swim. <---THAT is why the nice vet should do a skin scraping.

I hate to say it but what you feed may also make a difference. My horses improved a lot after I quit feeding grain three years ago. They improved two more notches after I quit feeding them a vit/min supplement that used soy as the protein source.

I'm not saying that is part of your problem --- I would have scoffed at it myself except I have never in my life dealt with these kinds of skin issues until I moved my horses to the Tennessee Valley. They have lived in Ohio, PA and Southern California's low desert and never a hint of skin issues or chronic problems with thrush and/or fungal infections in the sulci.

If you can at least get any vet, including your dog vet, to order you a gallon of MalAcetic shampoo, it does wonders for helping the skin heal and soothes the horse greatly when washing him with it.

It is a tearful thing to see my snarkiest-leave-me-alone horse drop his head and sigh because the MalAcetic brings his face so much relief. After I wash their faces, I put some potion or another that includes an antibiotic on the sores to keep the flies off for at least five minutes and help them heal.

http://dermapet.com/prod-02.html

I paid $92/gal (TN tax included) but I've been on the same gallon two years with four horses and three dogs. A little goes a very long way. I only use it on the horses when I have to.

I hope this helps you some and, again, I would force the vet to do a skin scraping to be sure you aren't dealing with hairworms then go from there

I live in West TN. This problem blew up in 2 days. Before that I thought we were getting somewhere. It looked better today. He also has a rub on his jawline that make me think his fly mask(Hadn't been using one very often) was possibly put on too tight and he rubbed it trying to relieve the pressure. If it doesn't show improvement in a day or 2, I will have the vet back out. He is super prone to skin fungus of any sort. I've had the comment that he has paper for skin from one of my vets.
    So far, not terribly impressed by Tn weather but it's only another year and then back to the PNW.

I will keep all the suggestions in mind and will not give it long to show an improvement. Also keeping a close eye on his temp as well. The shampoo I will have to look into as he has eraser size fungus spots sprinkled all over.

Thanks again,
    Helen

I'm in W Tn also and an old vet who used to be here had me use captan and nolvasan (mix with water until it's a light blue). This worked great on an old horse I had who used to get weird skin funk.

theres lots of things it could a piccy would help
    from rainscold. to ringworm, to scarcoids all can affect the face
    iwould be calling a vet asap
    and get a skin scrapping i would also while waiting have a very high hygene protocal set in place as in disinfect everything from numnahs to brushes to brooms and the actual stable
    also make sure you wear rubber gloves as rainscold is contagious and so is ringworm
    so rather than ask and be unsure then get the vet and be sure
    so many things it could be

ask yourself this - if your sick you call a doctor
    then do what right by your horse and get a vet out today
    making sure is alrge animal or equine vet get your horse treated now its not fair on him to leave it as the flys are about and its one thing having a sore than another having flys attaacking

Looks better today. No longer weeping and skin is looking better. Large animal vet has seen him. So it does appear that maybe someone put his flymask on to tight and he tried to rub it off. Keeping a close eye on it and, I promise you, if it flares up again, the vet will be back out asap. He has always been prone to fungus but this was the first weeping area. He did have almost a line where the swelling stopped and the vet even comment on it and agreed that it could have been the fly mask. So no fly mask and continuing with the anti fungal and antibiotic cream which do keep the flies off surprisingly well. Thanks for all the suggestions.
    I do appreciate them!

I plan to make a list so the I can have an arsenal against his fungus! There is a reason I call him fungus boy during the summer months
    Helen

take a piccy of it and post it here am curious now

This is not normal Memphis weather. I've lived here all my life and never remember it being this hot. The barn dogs are all in the house and I wish
    I could bring the horses in too.

Here is a bad pic of it. All the shine is antibiotic ointment. But the pink you can see under it is what was weeping and the pic doesn't show the minor swelling. He also had a little seepage on the sides where it is shiny but they were tiny as I went a little over board with the ointment. sorry it is blurry. Trying to get the better pic to upload. Will try again tomorrow.

Try this one: http://twitpic.com/2bf33e
    This one is a bit blurry: http://twitpic.com/2bexqp
    Last edited by Always Tardy; Aug. 4, 2010 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Operator error

That link's not working ---

Well, it could be:

1. Hairworms.

2. He's eaten grass around something like pigweed and got this from it.

That resembles what my senior horse gets on his face from eating the grass around pigweed or stinging nettle.

I have learned to tell when the outbreaks are coming before they burst open like that and I will start washing his face with the MalAcetic right away and applying topicals.

That sore running down the center of his face is not from the face mask. Anything the face mask would cause would look more like a rub or burn in the areas the face mask touches him constantly.

I am sorry but I would go toe-to-toe with your vet and insist he either do a skin scraping to rule out hairworms or ringworms, or find another vet

And then while he's at it, give you some topicals to help heal that.

The other Memphis poster is spot-on with the weather. Long-timers in my area of southern Middle TN also say they can't remember a summer like this. Our heat index is supposed to reach 110 - 112 today.

Our Nashville weather folks are saying you folks in West TN could see heat indices of 115-120

I hope everyone and your critters stay safe thru this next 24 hours.

AT, my retired gelding is a face-fungus boy in the summer, too. What normally keeps it under control is a good wash with a mild tea-tree product about 3x a week (he loves his face wash), then I spray any hairless, wants-to-be-raw areas with Alushield to protect and keep dry (bugs will avoid it). But as we have all said, for us lucky ones in the deep south, this is no normal summer, not by a long shot. Last weekend, my horse developed a raw area below his jawline that wept with serum like you are describing. That's definitely a new one on me...washed it and sprayed, today it had a nice scab that peeled off and there is healthy skin underneath. But UGH. Every day he has something new and entertaining wanting to start on face, ears, poll, etc. So I feel your pain. We just need to hang in and fall WILL come, eventually.

My bag of fungus tricks is about all out this summer.