The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Do you wear gloves in the summer time?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I don't mind hot/sweaty hands to avoid blisters

55 61.80%
  • Yes, but I hate when my hands become hot/sweaty

15 16.85%
  • No, don't feel any need to

17 19.10%
  • No, but I would if there was a more comfortable way to avoid blisters

2 2.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Summer riding and gloves

Just trying to get an idea of people's attitudes about riding gloves in the summer time.
    Thanks!
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

If I don't wear gloves when I ride my fingers will actually bleed. My skin is ridiculously thin- I have to wear gloves when doing anything with a broom or a pitchfork too. I guess my hands get hot and sweaty but I've never noticed it!

The only draw back is an awful tan line if you ride outside.

I hate gloves and wear them as little as possible. I feel like I don't have a good grip, no matter what type of gloves I wear. I only wear gloves when necessary, as in my fingers will freeze and fall off if I don't.

Always wear gloves. Don't get hot, sweaty hands.

Smile

There are gloves that don't make your hands feel worse. SSG makes some that I can even wash in the washing machine. They wick!

I also like that I can touch branches and rough surfaces and not tear my hands. I spend time in the woods on hunt trails. Trees go down in storms and we have to bushwack our way around them.

The gloves are also nice when feeding training treats to drooly horses...

I always wear gloves, and I don't really feel like my hands are any hotter or sweatier with them on. The trick is to find the right gloves so they are comfortable and give you the perfect grip. Mine are SSG gloves and they have sort of a microsuede outer. I love them. The only time I ride without them is if I know I'm going out on a trail ride only. But if I'm hacking out after a ride I always leave them on. I barely notice they are there.

90 % of the time I am around horses I ahve some sort of gloves on my hands.
    The new ones go to shows and events, after a while, they get to be everyday schooling, and just befopre they go to holy glove heaven, they are on my hands for grooming and mucking.

I am particular to the SSG white Dressage gloves for summertime because they have a very breathable back material, and the palms are made from a very fine microfibre suede that is thin, plus the white colour, which soon becomes grey, does not heat up as much in the direct sun. For some reason the dressage gloves are lighter in weight than the regular black SSG summer gloves.

My hands are never sweaty in that brand.

A few weeks back I couldn't find my riding gloves and threw on a pair of kid leather black showing gloves. Needless to say, in the hot sun I did sweat and came in with fingers dyed blue.
    In my SSG gloves, I bring them in after riding, still on my hands and wash them with ordinary hand soap and then let them air dry. They stay looking quite nice for longer that way.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

I used to wear those cheap cotton gloves whenever I rode. Moved to a different barn and stopped wearing gloves except on trails and in the winter--not for any particular reason, I just got too lazy to put them on . I've started wearing them again since the one jump school where I was using a just-oiled new set of reins and my horse pulled them out of my hands over every single jump. So stored in my helmet are my hairnet and a pair of crochet-back SSG gloves. They dye my hands blue after every ride but they're the only gloves that don't annoy me.

i do wear them in summer, but i don't get sweaty hands. i wear the cheap ones with the tiny dot grips. A pair can last me a whole season. Then i throw away and start over.

I wear gloves all the time, but my hands don't get hot and sweaty. I am a die-hard fan of the SSG All-Weather gloves. I never feel uncomfortable in them.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

I only wear gloves in the winter, and sometimes at shows.

Or in the rain.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I wear gloves all the time. The combination of sweat and a bit of a puller (when he jumps, anyway) leads to blisters faster than you can sneeze. Even WITH gloves, I still get blisters and sores. *looks sadly at hands* Consequently I often have to change fingers for my reins. Switching gloves around helps as well - I have two pairs I move between... they seem to allow rubbing in different areas.

I guess I don't really notice my hands getting hot. I do hate the glove tan line though..

I've just started wearing gloves consistently when I ride this hot, sticky, nasty summer. I've worn out two pair of the cheapo pimple palm gloves and today rode in a pair of work gloves (albeit trendy, upscale, close fitting and really nice work gloves) from Lowes. I have never gotten blisters from riding but my fingers are so arthritic and sensitive to being banged around that I have horrendous pain if I dont keep my mitts covered up. That and my grip is laughable. Every bit of traction helps.

Even with the work gloves today the heat and sweat didnt bother me. If anything, the sauna for my knuckle-bones makes them feel somewhat better.

I don't notice my hands getting particularly hot or sweaty when I wear gloves. I generally only wear them for lessons and shows, or thermal ones in the winter. I use the crochet back ones for lessons and schooling, and have the black leather SSG breast cancer gloves for showing. Those ones I do notice at first that my hands get hotter, but it's not a huge deal. I don't normally wear gloves though just because I feel like I don't have as good a "feel" when I wear them.

I voted no, don't feel a need to, and that is true for riding purposes. However, for all day trail rides, especially into remote areas, or when I know I'm going to be clearing trails, I always have a pair on me in the saddle bags.

For riding- including foxhunting- I only wear 'em when it's really, really cold.

I wear them year-round, regardless of what kind of riding we're doing-- hacking, trails, O/F, XC, whatever. I don't blister easily, but I just feel naked without them.

And it's gotten to be a rather superstitious thing for me lately, unfortunately... the last two times I rode glove-less, I ended up falling off and skinning up my hands pretty bad upon landing. So as far as I'm concerned, gloves are part of my safety equipment, too.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

I always wear gloves, but my hands don't get hot in them... I usually ride in the crochet-back gloves in the summer, and they're nice and cool. Will also use the cheapie SSG cotton ones, and those are very light as well.

I always wear gloves no matter the weather. I wear the crochet back gloves too. My hands get a little sweaty but that's the least of my worries about being hot.

I just don't like the feel of reins without gloves...

I always wear gloves - feel naked without. No sweaty hands here, though. I like the crochet backed ones for summer.

I always wear gloves when I ride. The cheap leather crochet back ones are my favorite, and if my hands get sweaty, I don't really notice as they wick the sweat away.