The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep. 20, 2008
    Location
    Beautiful Western Washington
    Posts
    1,342

    Default Inspection before or after move-WWYD?

    Hi all.. we are relocating to the Olympia area at the beginning of September. I have the choice of taking our two youngsters to inspections here 2 days before the move, or taking them to inspections there about a week after. Getting this to all fall into place is hard enough, but inspections are right smack in the middle of it. Its a pretty long haul ( from Wisconsin) and Im worried about stress, injuries etc etc etc... WWYD and why.. inspections here before or there after the move? ( I should add I have the option of the hauling company taking the mares and foals straight to the inspection site in Washington so they could have a week of rest before hand.) The only negative I can think of here is hauling once two days before the big move and the additional stress etc that could happen.
    www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
    Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb. 7, 2003
    Posts
    643

    Default

    Hi and an early Welcome to Washington. Where is the inspection in WA? How far from Olympia? That might make a difference in your decision. Also, is your shipper driving straight through, or stopping in CO or somewhere along the way. In other words, how many days will the horses be on the road? If the inspection is only an hour or two from your new home, I (personally) would ship them and have the week to rest up prior to the inspection. Good luck and safe travelling.
    Judy
    Sylvan Farm~Breeding for Performance
    Ramzes SF, approved GOV and Belgian http://sylvanfarm.com
    USSHBA Steering Committe member



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep. 20, 2008
    Location
    Beautiful Western Washington
    Posts
    1,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sylvan farm View Post
    Hi and an early Welcome to Washington. Where is the inspection in WA? How far from Olympia? That might make a difference in your decision. Also, is your shipper driving straight through, or stopping in CO or somewhere along the way. In other words, how many days will the horses be on the road? If the inspection is only an hour or two from your new home, I (personally) would ship them and have the week to rest up prior to the inspection. Good luck and safe travelling.
    Thanks for the welcome! We are really excited to be in the NW. I was thinking to make it to the RPSI inspection hosted by Jessica Wisdom over in Yelm. So I think that is actually 1/2 hr or 45 min from where we will be. Im really hoping the shipper stops at least once so he doesnt beat us there.. so 2 days on the road (?) I have visions of driving straight through so I can get there first. It 'would' make it easier if they dropped the mamas and babies off first. The other inspection is Westphalian , about 45 mins from my farm.. but two days before moving Im thinking will be pure chaos-- actually both choices are chaotic..Im just trying to figure out the less of the two.
    www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
    Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb. 7, 2003
    Posts
    643

    Default

    Jessica's site is quite close to you. When will you arrive? Would like to meet you and have you visit our farm. We're a couple hours north of you, but hopefully we figure out a time. Again, safe travels.
    Judy
    Sylvan Farm~Breeding for Performance
    Ramzes SF, approved GOV and Belgian http://sylvanfarm.com
    USSHBA Steering Committe member



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep. 20, 2008
    Location
    Beautiful Western Washington
    Posts
    1,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sylvan farm View Post
    Jessica's site is quite close to you. When will you arrive? Would like to meet you and have you visit our farm. We're a couple hours north of you, but hopefully we figure out a time. Again, safe travels.
    Thanks Judy, that would be great. Im aiming for the 5th of September. Im looking forward to it!
    www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
    Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct. 20, 2008
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    2,215

    Default

    Wow! Sounds like you've got quite a lot on your plate. My preference would be to take them to the inspection PRIOR to the cross country trip. You are going to be stressed either way but they'll be better rested if they have not just made a trek across the country....

    Of course going to the inspections in WA could be a good way for you to meet the horse folk in the are

    Good luck with your inspections and your move!



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct. 2, 2007
    Location
    Mirabel, QC
    Posts
    2,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    Wow! Sounds like you've got quite a lot on your plate. My preference would be to take them to the inspection PRIOR to the cross country trip. You are going to be stressed either way but they'll be better rested if they have not just made a trek across the country....

    Of course going to the inspections in WA could be a good way for you to meet the horse folk in the are

    Good luck with your inspections and your move!
    I agree, perhaps I'd do the inspection prior to moving as well.

    And then, there's no reason you can't go to the WA inspection just for fun!
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan. 29, 2000
    Location
    SE WI- Midwest
    Posts
    3,477

    Default

    Add me to the inspect before the move crowd.



Similar Threads

  1. Should I move? WWYD?
    By BeanCounterPony in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Feb. 29, 2012, 01:44 PM
  2. Big move - WWYD? - Update
    By McVillesMom in forum Off Course
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Jun. 5, 2011, 12:38 AM
  3. To Move or Not To Move? - Update Post #20 - Not Moving.
    By forward ride in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: May. 20, 2011, 09:49 AM
  4. Best way to move to move household goods?
    By Sanely Eccentric in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Mar. 20, 2011, 03:51 PM
  5. Landlord won't move horse,WWYD
    By Annie B in forum Off Course
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Sep. 13, 2010, 12:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •