The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Back pains-what worked for you? Chiro, Acupuncture..?

Anyone out there in their late 20's with bad backs and it sometimes gets in the way of your riding etc?
    Did you go for Chiro work, Acupuncture, Massages, Ph. Therapy??? What worked for you?
    Thinking about giving Acupuncture a try (seems reasonable the rates I saw and new patients get 3 treatments for $99.)

Well I have tried different types of chiro work and my body would 'hold' the adjustment for about 2 days... Have done physical therapy with some luck. (However I am currently about to try a pain management center so maybe that will work.) Have you had an X ray or a MRI done on your back? If so what did the doctors say? I am curious about the responses you will receive since I am in the same boat! Good luck!
    "Gallop as if you were to die tomorrow, jump as if you were to live forever."

Default try getting in touch with Medical Mike

Mike Pilato (Medical Mike on COTH) and my physical therapists are zooming in on my weak back after the broken neck...and its working! Just walking 30 minutes made my back ache and ache. Am happy to say that my back is making great progress - no problems with fitness walking, jogging a bit, riding my bike on a wind trainer 30 minutes, or riding . My event trainer does the same sort of stretches with me that the PT folks and Mike recommend. Mike's fees are very, very reasonable... Good luck!!! Backs are so important for enjoying life.
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

My good friend had amazing results with Yoga. I personally prefer acupuncture, but I think a combo is probably best for strength + pain relief .Good luck

For a lot of us it is post accidents and being out of alignment causing poor posture - so a combination of everything that will strengthen, straighten and support.

Don't forget to look at other aspects of life. I had back pain in my twenties, did all kinds of medical treatments (injections, microdiscectomy)for it. Found that physical therapy plus some life changes was the best medicine.

Chiropractic is what has gotten me through. I'm 57 tho, not 'late 20's! I see my chiro about once a year so whatever she does really works. Be sure you don't go to a cruncher but rather one who uses an "activator". It is an amazingly gentle technique and my bod really responds well to it. Good luck.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Great comments!!
    I haven't been for an MRI but it would be interesting to see the alignment and muscles around the spine. I did go for chiro work for a few months but it felt worse than before.
    Yoga is a great idea-never even thought about it and that would help with muscles.

A good chiropractor who gives you home exercises (and expects you to do them).

There is a massage therapist at my chiropractor's office who did stretching work with me, that helped a lot.

It also helps me to stretch in the morning and find an exercise routine that is "back friendly".

Quote Originally Posted by 3phase View Post
    Great comments!!
    I haven't been for an MRI but it would be interesting to see the alignment and muscles around the spine. I did go for chiro work for a few months but it felt worse than before.
    Yoga is a great idea-never even thought about it and that would help with muscles.
    I always feel worse the next day-if I'm in a severe 'twist' and get a big treatment, my Dr. will sort of smile and say, "This is the mack truck treatment, I'm sorry." That means I have to go home and take some Advil and lie flat on an ice pack for 1/2 hour then take a long walk. Again with the ice and walk for the next 12 or so hours and I'm good to go. Sometimes she'll want to see me again for 'balancing'.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Default Regular off horse strengthening.....

first last and always...

No matter the course you choose, exercise must be a part of your backs regular care.

The program, of course, is based on proper ID of pathology and evaluation of how you function on and off the horse.

A reasonably trained medical and or rehab professional, working with your instructor, should be able to minimize if not solve your back pain problems.

Just be aware that you may have to make some permanent changes in technique, discipline, etc to help the cause.

Regards,
    Medical Mike
    equestrian medical researcher
    www.equicision.com

I have had terrible problems with my back. I have herniated discs and degeneration so keeping in good shape (I do pilates) is very important. In the past, when the pain has been horrendous, I tried everything. Chiro, acupuncture, massage, PT, the Alexander Technique, you name it. The thing that has worked best for me is rolfing. A good rolfer can really help! Another thing I swear by is this:
    http://www.amazon.com/GoFit-6-Inch-1...682522&sr=1-10
    Great convenient device that really works.
    Become a Posse and help keep kids on horses and off the streets.
    http://www.comptonjrposse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    I always feel worse the next day-if I'm in a severe 'twist' and get a big treatment, my Dr. will sort of smile and say, "This is the mack truck treatment, I'm sorry." That means I have to go home and take some Advil and lie flat on an ice pack for 1/2 hour then take a long walk. Again with the ice and walk for the next 12 or so hours and I'm good to go. Sometimes she'll want to see me again for 'balancing'.
    Doesn't sound like much fun

"bearhunter"-never heard of Rolfing-I'm googling right now

Quote Originally Posted by 3phase View Post
    Doesn't sound like much fun

"bearhunter"-never heard of Rolfing-I'm googling right now
    Rolfing is one school of structural integration work... it works,, but the rolfer will do what they need to do despite what ever message your pain receptors are sending and recieving ... It can be extremely INTENSE.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

I have a therapist who does Active Release Technique on me for back pain. He's actually a chiropractor but does very little "chiropracting" in a session (and he doesn't call himself one either.) ART use pressure like in a good massage while moving the muscle group through its range of motion. Amazingly effective. The guy I use is also employed by the Tennessee Titans--you get to see him doing stuff to Vince Young on the sidelines during Monday Night Football. He really understands that even though I pushing old lady status that I'm an athlete too.

While he is fantastic at relieving pain we are still working on prevention. I do a 10 minute series of yoga type stretches twice daily that has helped quite a bit but still hasn't completely gotten the reoccurrence under control as I seem to have flare ups a couple times a year. The thing that tears my back up the worst is actually standing for long periods of time...riding rarely hurts even when I have a flare up.

I've used a wide variety of alternate therapies on both my horse and me and I have never seen anything as effective as ART. In addition when he "fixes" you you're fixed. Usually he can do it in a single session--if I can stand it. He warns that anybody trying to get you coming back once a week for a period of time should be avoided.

My chiro is great- he does adjustments as well as massage and stretching, plus he gives me stretches and strength building exercises. For my issues, a weak core and tight hipflexors pull my back out of alignment so to fix that I need to work on strength and flexibility.

It was not cheap nor easy, but it works.

The guy I go to specializes in working with athletes (and HOORAY- acknowledges riding to be a sport!) so he is used to people who want to be active. He is more than just a chiro, and as such, more expensive. My dear friend is a chiro only and she was much less effective in treating my pain.

Actually- like Subk's guy he does ART as well.

I'm going to sound a bit like a commercial, but here is what has worked for me. First, get a good mattress. I like firm mattresses. My back always hurts after traveling and staying in hotels or staying at someone else's house. I have a sleep by number bed and love it. I get more rest and feel great when I wake up. Next, strengthen your core muscles. Doing sit ups worried me that I would do them wrong and strain my back. Next commercial: I like the ab-lounger. I know I wont' strain my back and its kind of fun so makes me do sit ups more than I would on my own. Finally: advil. I take advil if I do something to strain my back or I know I'm going to do something... like traveling. It seems to head off the inflammation cycle.
    Good luck. Talk to a doctor (of course

Mr. Mike, where are you located? Can you PM me?

This thread is ODD; I just went through the whole MRI/pain management thing last Monday when my back spasms became so severe I could no longer walk. I was shocked by the results of the MRI and am no longer able to consider horses for a career. I'm 22. Very timely thread.

To the OP: my spine is precious to me. I have lived, breathed, talked horses my WHOLE life. I had just chosen to make a career of it and leave school when BAM the spasms hit again. GET A CHECK UP b/4 you do anything, please. Know what you are dealing with it. At our age it is SO important-in my opinion-to get on the right management/prevention path while still young. Nearly EVERYone suggested I go to a chiro...after speaking with the doctor she told me that it would have caused me more pain. Since I was already unable to walk...that scared me. I'm so glad I went and got an MRI/X-rays. Just my 2cents!

Anyway, Medical Mike, I'd would to speak with you. I was working with a personal trainer, riding, doing barn work, trying to get as fit as possible when the old (riding) injury made my spasms flare again. I am now trying to figure out how to continue working out/riding (with some drastic changes) and want to really research my options. Any info would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by medical mike View Post
    first last and always...

No matter the course you choose, exercise must be a part of your backs regular care.

The program, of course, is based on proper ID of pathology and evaluation of how you function on and off the horse.

A reasonably trained medical and or rehab professional, working with your instructor, should be able to minimize if not solve your back pain problems.

Just be aware that you may have to make some permanent changes in technique, discipline, etc to help the cause.

Regards,
    Medical Mike
    equestrian medical researcher
    www.equicision.com

It took me many many years and a lot of trail and error, but I finally found a human chiropractor that is as good as the ones I use for my horse. He has a somewhat unique idea about the process through which the body "recognizes" body work, but boy does he do an amazing job. (if you want to see his philosophy, it's at: www.gaitlink.com).

I feel the same way about human body workers as I do about horse bodyworkers. There are a lot more mediocre (and worse) ones out there than good ones. I think a really talented body worker of any sort (chiro, acu, rolfing, ART, massage, etc.) can make a dramatic difference in your level of overall comfort. And after 20+ years of chronic back pain, my chiro has "fixed" my body to the point that I haven't had even a twinge of somthing being not quite right since he started working on me.

So I guess my answer to the main question would be "Chiropractic." But the truth is that an equally talented person in another field probably could have had similar results. So I'm not sure I would be quite as focused on the $$ part of it or the "type" of work as I would on finding someone with a lot of referrals that use words such as "BRILLIANT" and "LIFE CHANGING"

If you haven't seen a back/spine doctor go see one. Chiropractors don't count, (I've found their knowledge limited to what they do.)

Problems in the spine can be caused by so many things, and some treatments can screw them up further. You need to make sure you know what's going on before you start any sort of treatment. I'd been doing chiro and massage for my neck for years... only to find out recently my neck pain is a nerve problem that chiro isn't going to help.

I just finished several weeks of PT, to see if it would help matters. It didn't help my pain, but goodness has my posture gotten better