The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Angry "I've rescued 4 horses from slaughter and need help to afford them"

Why do people get animals they can't afford and think someone else should pay the expense? I saw this ad on CL and just cringed. I couldn't help but think the more "help" she gets, the more horses she'll "save". If you don't have the time or resources to care for your animals, don't get them in the first place!

New link on post #8.
    Last edited by Shine; Aug. 1, 2010 at 01:29 PM.

uuug, they weren't really rescued then were they?
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Hey, I'll go save 10 right now, if you COTHers will pay for their board!

Well, that was quick. Ad was flagged and removed.

I hope those horses get help, but who knows what will happen now.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

It is removed, but is that the Watertown that is in CT???
    Nevermind, just realized it is NY.

There is a Watertown NY also. It is pretty much the armpit of New York. We were stationed there for 3 years. Winters are beyond belief.

Just got back in from the barn putting away hay and making room for another 150 bales and finding a lame horse and found the ad had been deleted. Was thinking about this (and that farmers get paid way too little and there's a reason my vet drives a new vehicle every year!) and still have a hard time trying to comprehend why. Got to love Google!

http://www.google.com/search?q=http%...ient=firefox-a

I think about this every time I see the "Save the Babies!" threads.

I wonder how many of these "babies" are really saved?

The Devorah person? She wanted a few of the babies too...and look how well that turned out. I know of one particular "rescue" that is taking horses that I have personally visited and I wouldn't send my worst enemy there. But hell...she is nice as can be and wield a bible verse like the best of them when it comes the right time for an emotional blackmailing.

Daydream Believer? Watertown has improved by leaps and bounds in the past 5-7 years. I am shocked at how much better it is. But I still would drag my dying body to Syracuse for hospital care before I would go to the one there. Some of the areas on the outskirts (which is odd to say since Watertown is sort of an outskirt itself ) are really poor now. The farms are gone, work is scarce...sad.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Will somebody pay the board for my horses. I can afford it but it would really be nice to have someone else pay.

Y'know, I went to school with a girl whose mother was a hoarder. The mother started advertising as a rescue - this was back during the 80's, when people weren't so suspicious - because she simply couldn't afford all the animals she'd collected.

Twenty years later, Mom's still running a rescue. A legitimate one, AFAIK (although I don't contribute).

Stranger things, and all that.

I have a rescue pony....my paypal acct # is: $%^&*(_+$. You all send me your money!! And by the way, I won't feed her just any ol' feed. No, she gets the very best top quality that I can find so I really need your dollars to keep her in the lifestyle that she has become accumstomed to!

Quote Originally Posted by equineartworks View Post
    Daydream Believer? Watertown has improved by leaps and bounds in the past 5-7 years. I am shocked at how much better it is. But I still would drag my dying body to Syracuse for hospital care before I would go to the one there. Some of the areas on the outskirts (which is odd to say since Watertown is sort of an outskirt itself ) are really poor now. The farms are gone, work is scarce...sad.
    I found it a frustrating place to live. I tried for three years to find a boarding stable that would do the basics like turnout all year round (many do not turn out in winter at all), clean stalls, feed enough hay, etc...and have a decent indoor arena which is mandatory 6-7 months out of the year (if not more). The local joke for the area is "Nine months of winter and three months of poor sledding." That isn't far off at all.

I'm glad to hear it's gotten better. It sure could not have gotten much worse! I could not wait to get back "home" to NC.

When you say the farms are gone..do you mean all those dairies? How awful..

It is a beautiful area and we LOVED going up to ride and camp at Otter Creek State Park in the summer. I would not mind a summer home up there..or perhaps as global climate change makes Virginia unbearable I'll think of moving back up there some day!

Devorah aikman didnt 'rescue' anything. trainers on the tracks were giving her their horses who wernt making it as racehorses in hopes that they would be getting a decent home and a shot at a new career. unfortunately, she's a liar and a complete scum bag....and no one really ever knew it until now

Sorry, but isn't that a different thread?

Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl88 View Post
    Devorah aikman didnt 'rescue' anything. trainers on the tracks were giving her their horses who wernt making it as racehorses in hopes that they would be getting a decent home and a shot at a new career. unfortunately, she's a liar and a complete scum bag....and no one really ever knew it until now

Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl88 View Post
    Really? There were piles of facebook unknowns ready to throw money at her for auction horses IIRC? I remember some very heated exchanges that went on with her and one of the auction groups..don't remember which one it was right now.

I wonder how many Devorah's there are out there? I am betting there are more than we would like to know. And I bet some of us here have even paid for their hoarding/abuse hobby at some point or another too.

Sad
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

If we want to help "save" the horses without homes, we should start paying for a few more gelding procedures.....
    Concordia means "Harmony" in Latin.
    Full Time Dressage Addict

On the upside, at least this person waited until after they had actually purchased the horses before screaming for money.

If I had a dollar for every thread I've seen entitled "WE ARE AT CAMELOT/NEW HOLLAND/SUGARCREEK AND NEED MONEY!1111!!!1!ONE," I'd be richer than Oprah. I really don't see how people think they are going to be able to care for horses appropriately when they don't even have the money to buy them. I think we ALL know what the cheapest part of horse ownership is.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.