The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default RIP Sundance 1982-2010

I got a message this morning that my old horse, Sundance died in his sleep last night. He was the horse of my 2nd childhood - the one that got me back into horses after many many years . He was part mustang and part who knows what, built like a Dachshund - long long body and short legs - with a distinct attitude that didn't put up with much. He'd been off and on abused and starved, was a lesson horse for a while - and hated it with a purple passion, loved to jump - loved to go out on the trails (but only in company thank you very much) loved his food, and richly deserved the name "Stop Drop and Roll", as he was pefectly willing to drop right down in a parking lot and roll in the dust. He was 21 or 22 when he came into my life, and I loved him dearly (and I think he probably was quite attached to me as well). I had free leased him for life about 5 (my god where does the time go) years ago to a gentleman who had a half acre pasture just for Sundance so he would have room to move around when his arthritis started getting bad, and his then 9 year old daughter would ride him every once in a while bareback in a halter. Then she got another, youunger horse, and Sundance became her father's morning coffee companion, coming up each morning for breakfast and scritches while her Dad drank his coffee..

When I moved to Kentucky, I made the decision not to bring him, believing (as I still do) that it wouldn't be right to remove him from where he had found peace and someone else to love on him, and subject him to a long stressful trip with nothing familiar at the end of it. I made the right decision I believe.

Say hello to Grimmie, Fancy, Vixie, Taz, Zipper and Echo for me at the Bridge Sundance - and tell them all I love and miss them and will see you all again one day.
    "The way to gain a good reputation is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear" ~ Socrates

Hugs to you blueboo and Godspeed to dear Sundance. Sounds like he brought joy to many people and you certainly gave him a great "last part" to his life.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Sounds like he had a wonderful life, and was a special horse. I know it doesn't make it any less sad, but what good end to a life well lived. Comforting, I'm sure to know he laid down to rest and rest he did.

Happy Trails, Sundance!

BlueBoo, what a wonderful life he had with you shepherding it. I'm sure he and the father really appreciate your decision to let them have their companionship and steadiness of the life he was comfortable with. Congratulations on taking the best care of a horse he could have. Sorry he has passed away but it sounds like a peaceful ending. It's nice too for us readers to see a good life and a horse well cared for that ended in the best possible way and that you loved him for just the way he was.

hugs
    There's coffee in that nebula.

RIP Sundance ~ thoughts and prayers and huge hugs for you, BlueBoo ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Hugs to you.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

What really makes it all so ironic is that while I never for an instant forgot him, I didn't consciously [I]think[I] of him every single day - but yesterday, for some unknown reason, I was sitting on the porch after the chores were done, and into my mind he came - kind of a free association of memories, along with the thought that it probably wouldn't be too long now before I heard something. I'm not at all mystical, or into psychic 'stuff' but I really believe he was telling me good by. one of those kind of, in retrospect, amazing moments. Believe it, or not.
    "The way to gain a good reputation is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear" ~ Socrates

I believe it. Sorry for you loss - what a great long run he had! And to go in your sleep of old age: priceless.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

All horses really know is the moments they live in.
    You made his last moments, those years he was under your care, the best for him, thank you.

So nice that he stopped for a minute in your memories.

RIP Sundance.

And I totally believe that he was saying goodbye to you. What a special memory.
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

Blueboo- Sundance was so lucky to find you to care for him in his old age-- all old horses should be so lucky. RIP, Sundance. And, I too, totally believe he came into your thoughts to say goodbye-- I have had the experience myself of former horses coming to mind, only to get a call from their current owner that they had passed away that very day.
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    Elysian Fields Farm--
    --An equine refuge

RIP and Godspeed Sundance! What a good rest of his life you gave him and
    folks with whom he spent his final time!

I believe it; I've had similar experiences. My condolances for your loss. RIP old boy.

My sympathy and hugs to you, Blueboo, on Sundance's passing. Bless you for giving him such a happy home.

I, too, believe that a horse can say goodbye to us. My last horse did. In January 2007, about 11:00 p.m. on a Saturday night, I fell asleep briefly and dreamed I was riding my horse bareback down a trail in the woods. In the dream, he spooked and lunged to the right and I fell off to the left side. I awoke immediately and told my husband that I just dreamed that my horse and I had "parted company" (that was the phrase that came to my mind).

Early the next morning I found my horse dead in the far right corner of his paddock. I believe he reached out to me in spirit the night before to say goodbye as he was leaving.

Hugs to you!

I too agree that he said goodbye to you. On the night that my beloved Chutney passed, I had a dream of her galloping freely with a grey Arab-type horse I had never seen. A few days later, while talking with Chutney's previous owner, she told me she had in fact had the same "dream" that night. She also identified the mysterious grey Arab cross - he had been her first horse and Chutney's turnout partner when both were young...
    In loving memory of Chutney (1977 - 2008)

My newest book, "Sandsablaze," available now!