The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Default Ah! Barn full of hay...nothing like it!

Mr. Hay Man called yesterday with the news that the orchard/alfalfa that I so desire was in! Yippee!...uh, um, yikes! I just had shoulder surgery Tuesday, could I load in 5 tons of hay Friday? Sure!! Thanks to Mr. CC and our son and his sturdy friends, I have a barn full of gorgeous Eastern Oregon Hay!! All I had to do was drive the trucks back and forth to Mr. HM's farm where they use the cool loader thingy to lay 30 bales on the truck, and off I go. 4 trips later, I'm all set.

That is the best feeling in the world, knowing that the hay is in, and it is great and paid for .

Anyone else experience hay happiness?
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Well, I'm getting there. The money is ready saved and put aside. Second cut hay was late this year, but first l00 are in and more next week. Nothing worse than having to run out all the time to p/u a few bales and find the cost per bale going up each time as the winter progresses.

I love experiencing hay happiness and am very lucky to have a wonderful, reliable supplier.

Congratulations! Isn't that a wonderful feeling? I've been there myself. It's a bit like sitting out a snowstorm with a full pantry, a good movie on DVD, and a bowl of popcorn in your lap.

We also got our last load for this year yesterday.
    We put up 400 bales of pretty alfalfa and with what we have left over from last year, should be enough for this winter.

A good feeling to get the hay in for the year, is it.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

A true Simple Pleasure

Barncat & I are both thrilled that bales are stacked to the ceiling.
    She can climb after birds & I can sit back & know that Winter feeding is taken care of.

Only thing better is watching horses dive into the new hay and not toss it around like the kid looking for the "real" present in the box

God Bless my hayguy who delivers me a year's worth on account.
    After the mortgage he is Priority #1 for payment!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Boy do I know that feeling! This year we had an early and dry spring so the farmer I get hay from was able to cut at the end of May and I filled my barn then. It's a grass hay as I have 2 thoroughbreds that don't know they are supposed to be hard keepers. Both are blimps/whales so to get anything other than a grass hay would probably founder them.

Anyway, the smell of fresh hay is so wonderful. What surprises me is that it's almost August, 2 full months since I got the hay in and it still smells wonderful. What's even better is the horses lick up every little piece. Actually vacuum it up as though it were alfalfa instead of orchard grasses.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Cool Simply the BEST ~

* Agree ~ nothing like it ~ don't know who enjoys it more ? the horses/ponies, cats or me !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

The only downside is that Mr. CC takes great pride in stacking as vertically and straight as possible. I have 110, 95lb. bales stacked in a 12 x 14 footprint, 24 feet up. Sigh. I have no idea how I'll get hay down to feed. He's a math guy, so he sees it as a geometric challenge to his math smarts to fit them all in that designated space.

Additionally, my dogs are put out that they can't run at and leap onto the hay as is their daily habit. Now I have 5 dogs who race up and down the barn aisle instead, barking madly. the Corgi is incredibly loud and obnoxious..though Mr.CC says he's a good boy (that's his dog.)
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

ahhh the smell of a newly filled hayloft is one of the nicest things I know!
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

When I see the price almost double by the end of winter, I feel even more grateful. Save, save, save and buy in June/July.

With TB's it is proof that lots and lots of hay keeps them in good condition and with a barn full one does not feel like stretching the bales.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    The only downside is that Mr. CC takes great pride in stacking as vertically and straight as possible. I have 110, 95lb. bales stacked in a 12 x 14 footprint, 24 feet up. Sigh. I have no idea how I'll get hay down to feed. He's a math guy, so he sees it as a geometric challenge to his math smarts to fit them all in that designated space.

I had to laugh at this. Have you ever heard of hay hooks? I had a similar problem several yrs ago when I switched to a new hay man. His 90+ lb bales were impossible to deal with but I did learn to pull them down with a hay hook.

Right now most of my hay is stacked similarly but, thank god, not as high so I can usually just grab a couple of bales, pull them down until I can get a 'stairway built' that I can go up and then push some down.

Course since it's Mr CC that made sure it was stacked like that, maybe he's the one that needs to throw them down to a level you can deal with and then 'build you a staircase." At least until your shoulder heals anyway.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Boy do I wish 120 bales was all it took me for the whole winter!! My years supply is more like 1200! I DREAD dealing with it all year, escpecially with my Dad gone, but it is nice when it is over with. Luckily this year I was able to cut my own fields, but nexy year I will have horses on it.

An even BETTER feeling.....hay AND sawdust filled to the brim!!!
    Cindy

I wish I knew that feeling! Our hay garage is tiny, especially when we also have to fit it four skids of 54 shavings bags, as well as some shelves. The most we can fit is 150 bales, and that only lasts a month, so I'm calling for hay delivery's pretty regularly.
    Proud mother to Matt, a 18 year-old TB gelding.

FOREVER

...well, look at it this way - at least he delivers. I have to go and get mine!
    Thank goodness for a strong son and husband.

About a month ago I got a load of GORGEOUS bright green eastern WA Timothy. Last week my field was cut and baled and yesterday the kids came out and brought it in. I have enough to feed the horsies till next summer. It's a good feeling.