The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Pulling a horse trailer with a Uhaul truck?

I've been told people have done it without problem.
    But people telling me i'm crazy has made me rethink it. I can drive a U haul with no problem. I am not renting the biggest truck they have. But the truck I am renting has a ball and hitch that is able to pull my tiny 2 horse trailer. My step father (who is a professional truck driver) says it will be fine. I can pull it without problems.

Yet, other people say that they would never even consider doing such a thing. My problem is, if I dont, then I move and my horses stay. No one else can haul them for me. I'm only moving about 150 miles away. Its not a very long trip.

I'd like opinions. If you've experienced this or heard stories, share.

I just want whats best for my horses, and I feel selling them or leaving them behind isnt it. Neither is putting them at high risk.

Personally, I wouldn't, just because having driven several UHaul trucks, they don't strike me as very powerful or perfectly maintained.

I know NOTHING about their towing capacity, braking system, etc, but the ones I've driven have all had issues of some type, so I wouldn't feel safe doing it.

Is it out of the question to hire a professional shipper?
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

I have not been able to find someone in my area to ship my horses. I emailed and called a few, but none have returned calls etc.

So I feel as if this is my last option. Sunday is the day I have to leave, and time is running out.

Is there any reason the horse can't stay put and be shipped up later when you can find someone?

My CANTER blog.

Where are you located? Maybe someone on the board is close by you and may know someone who might be able to help you out?

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I can't imagine that it would be a problem.

A lot of people on this BB seem to think that unless you have an F350 and a gooseneck, you Just.Shouldn't.Trailer.Your.Horse.

It's nonsense.

Rent a truck that is rated to pull (and stop) your trailer, carry a cell phone and the number of someone to come help you if something should happen (stepfather sounds like a good candidate) and you need assistance, and get your horses to their new home.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Does your trailer require a brake controller, and does the truck you are renting come with one that's compatible?

Would U-Haul even let you do something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    I can't imagine that it would be a problem.

A lot of people on this BB seem to think that unless you have an F350 and a gooseneck, you Just.Shouldn't.Trailer.Your.Horse.

It's nonsense.

Rent a truck that is rated to pull (and stop) your trailer, carry a cell phone and the number of someone to come help you if something should happen (stepfather sounds like a good candidate) and you need assistance, and get your horses to their new home.
    For me it's not so much an issue of needing the perfect gigantic truck, but that you really can't guarantee anything on these UHaul trucks. I rented one where the drivers side mirror fell off the truck halfway through my trip. The most recent one I rented seemed to have something wrong with the engine. I've been in another where the brakes were pretty iffy.

Maybe I've been really unlucky with my truck rentals, but it's enough that I wouldn't put my horse behind one (seriously, if I'm afraid for ME the whole time I'm driving it, the last thing I'd want to do is add a horse trailer to the mix!)

Different people have different comfort levels with these things, I guess. For me it's not a "truck snob" thing as much as an "I'm terrified of U-Hauls" thing.

My CANTER blog.

I have heard of people finding decent shippers here:

http://www.uship.com/horses/

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    Different people have different comfort levels with these things, I guess. For me it's not a "truck snob" thing as much as an "I'm terrified of U-Hauls" thing.
    Think it was W5 that did an expose on uhaul in the last 24 months. It might have actually been their 2nd. It was terrifying all the darn things wrong with the trucks. Near nothing was going right with them. I had a friend move to the east coast from ontario. Drove a uhaul there pulling a trailer with his car on it. Axel blew apart in the middle of nowhere on the uhaul truck.

I'd worry that they have a shoddy track record and just worry if something happened to your horses cause of that track record.

Penske is generally a better truck to rent; http://www.pensketruckrental.com/
    Towing your trailer shouldn't be a problem. Tell them what you want to do, and they usually take good care of you.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Repair problems of u-hauls aside (and agree they are skeery), I'd wonder about whether or not your insurance provider (or the stuff you buy from u-haul) would cover it if anything went wrong. This seems like a bad idea on so many levels.

Any chance you could return home for a weekend and pick up your horse at a later date?
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

I agree with Lucassb, the fact that it's a UHaul truck isn't necessarily a disqualifier.

Consumer warning. In the 60s/70s I hauled a 4 horse stock trailer with a Really Trashy truck loaned by my Dad from his company. We were/became skilled at repairs on the fly, like the time the carburetor spewed gasoline.

And prior to that, we rented UHaul two horse BP trailers and pulled them via bumper hitch with...my Dad's 63 Lincoln, a friend's mom's Oldsmobile sedan, etc.

Of course, life was simpler then...

If the truck is in decent mechanical condition and has adequate towing capacity I can't see why this would be a problem. I see U-Hauls and Penskes towing small flatbeds with cars (ranging from Minis to Excursions) on them all the time. The weight differential between a car and a couple of horses won't be much. This also suggests a brake controller system. Just wire an adaptor to make the truck compatible with the trailer.

As to insurance, it's likely they'll say "not just no, but HELL NO!" to any coverage for livestock. This is common as dirt and would not make any diffence to me. If I was concerned I get a morbidity/mortality policy and consider it an additional cost of moving.

Again, I don't see why not. With any method of transport (including your own vehicle) you run a risk of being stuck. That's why God invented "USRider." Public "horror stories" on rental trucks sound bad, but also lead me to ask "If we have 100 horror stories, how many non-horror stories are there?" If the failure rate is 50% then there's a legitimage concern. If it's .50% then maybe not.

G.

Sounds like the professional truck driver step-father might have the most experience in giving advice on this

A friend of mine tried to get a U-Haul truck when her truck was in the shop, and discovered that the ball size on the hitch is smaller than the standard horse trailer hitch, so it was an automatic no-go on the U-Haul rental.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Balls can be changed.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

We used Penske and were going to tow our horse trailer laden with shop tools but were told that Penske did not permit that. We had no issues with their trucks towing Penske trailers - perhaps you could rent a horse trailer from them also?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I would say no way, no how, most of the uhaul trucks I've seen the ball was attached to the bumper itself, not an axle. Can a friend with a truck follow you and haul your horses? The LA Times did a story on Uhaul a few years back, pretty scary stuff.