The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar. 26, 2010
    Posts
    867

    Default College Teams

    I'm posting this for a friend.

    She's been offered a job teaching 17 at a local stable. She has concerns about affecting her ammy status as she wants to ride in college. The current stable says they are "doing her a favor because colleges want kids who can teach."

    While the USEF rulebook basically says she can do whatever she wishes until she's 18, how do colleges feel about this?

    She's very confused as to what to do. I have recommended that she speak to a few college coaches in our area and get their take but I'd like to cast a wider net and get some COTH recommendations as well.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar. 11, 2004
    Location
    Souderton, PA
    Posts
    3,424

    Default

    Does she want to ride at a school where the riding team is NCAA?
    Because I'm almost positive that you can be a pro and show IHSA. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun. 26, 2010
    Posts
    16

    Default

    That is correct. IHSA has no rules regarding pro and ammy status. At least, not for hunt seat teams. I don't know any rules for the western stuff or NCAA rules.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    May. 7, 2008
    Posts
    178

    Default

    NCAA says as long as you can be an ammy you can be on the team assuming you make it. I had to look that up when I was thinking about trying to get on an NCAA team, but she needs to know the fences max out at about 3'3" and she cannot compete in open shows while on an NCAA team.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct. 9, 2008
    Posts
    835

    Default

    The current stable says they are "doing her a favor because colleges want kids who can teach."
    Colleges don't want kids who can teach...colleges want kids who can ride whatever horse they're put on and look good doing it.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar. 22, 2004
    Location
    Ct
    Posts
    2,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HobbyHorse101 View Post
    NCAA says as long as you can be an ammy you can be on the team assuming you make it. I had to look that up when I was thinking about trying to get on an NCAA team, but she needs to know the fences max out at about 3'3" and she cannot compete in open shows while on an NCAA team.
    I thought you could compete in shows, just not collect prize money in excess of your show expenses???



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar. 26, 2010
    Posts
    867

    Default

    Thanks all! We did tell her that they are looking for riders who can handle multiple horses with little or no prep time to do around the 3' and that should be easy for her.

    I'm pretty sure the college she's looking at is an NCAA team. We did tell her that the colleges will be looking at her past awards, and not her teaching credentials. Since she's not the coach, why would they care?



  8. #8
    Join Date
    May. 7, 2008
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ponymom64 View Post
    I thought you could compete in shows, just not collect prize money in excess of your show expenses???
    From what the coaches told us, you can't accept any awards. So you could compete but it would in all means be a schooling show.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep. 25, 2008
    Location
    Hershey, PA
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HobbyHorse101 View Post
    From what the coaches told us, you can't accept any awards. So you could compete but it would in all means be a schooling show.
    When I was riding in IHSA a few years ago I understood it as you couldn't ride in EQUITATION classes over 3'3 however, I'm sure it has changed 5-6x since then.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr. 5, 2003
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    1,339

    Default

    For NCAA the rules on awards are a little complicated. During the school year you are not supposed to accept any cash awards, but you can compete in whatever you want. The rules are a little more complicated during the summer.

    I have a daughter that rides on an NCAA, there is no premium put on teaching ability. There is a premium on being able to ride a lot of different, sometimes quirky, horses and on good equitation.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar. 22, 2004
    Location
    Ct
    Posts
    2,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsperson View Post
    For NCAA the rules on awards are a little complicated. During the school year you are not supposed to accept any cash awards, but you can compete in whatever you want. The rules are a little more complicated during the summer.

    I have a daughter that rides on an NCAA, there is no premium put on teaching ability. There is a premium on being able to ride a lot of different, sometimes quirky, horses and on good equitation.
    That is what I thought, thanks for the clarification!!



Similar Threads

  1. College Equestrian H/J teams
    By hunterrider23 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jul. 21, 2012, 06:30 PM
  2. College equestrian teams
    By Gnrock25 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Apr. 13, 2012, 09:09 AM
  3. College Riding Teams
    By ridingandrunning in forum Off Course
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Aug. 6, 2011, 11:57 PM
  4. College Riding Teams
    By oliviasmith1060 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: Apr. 26, 2009, 03:54 PM
  5. College riding teams?
    By Wizard of Oz's in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Feb. 7, 2009, 08:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness