The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default College Teams

I'm posting this for a friend.

She's been offered a job teaching 17 at a local stable. She has concerns about affecting her ammy status as she wants to ride in college. The current stable says they are "doing her a favor because colleges want kids who can teach."

While the USEF rulebook basically says she can do whatever she wishes until she's 18, how do colleges feel about this?

She's very confused as to what to do. I have recommended that she speak to a few college coaches in our area and get their take but I'd like to cast a wider net and get some COTH recommendations as well.

Does she want to ride at a school where the riding team is NCAA?
    Because I'm almost positive that you can be a pro and show IHSA. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

That is correct. IHSA has no rules regarding pro and ammy status. At least, not for hunt seat teams. I don't know any rules for the western stuff or NCAA rules.

NCAA says as long as you can be an ammy you can be on the team assuming you make it. I had to look that up when I was thinking about trying to get on an NCAA team, but she needs to know the fences max out at about 3'3" and she cannot compete in open shows while on an NCAA team.

The current stable says they are "doing her a favor because colleges want kids who can teach."
    Colleges don't want kids who can teach...colleges want kids who can ride whatever horse they're put on and look good doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by HobbyHorse101 View Post
    NCAA says as long as you can be an ammy you can be on the team assuming you make it. I had to look that up when I was thinking about trying to get on an NCAA team, but she needs to know the fences max out at about 3'3" and she cannot compete in open shows while on an NCAA team.
    I thought you could compete in shows, just not collect prize money in excess of your show expenses???

Thanks all! We did tell her that they are looking for riders who can handle multiple horses with little or no prep time to do around the 3' and that should be easy for her.

I'm pretty sure the college she's looking at is an NCAA team. We did tell her that the colleges will be looking at her past awards, and not her teaching credentials. Since she's not the coach, why would they care?

Quote Originally Posted by ponymom64 View Post
    I thought you could compete in shows, just not collect prize money in excess of your show expenses???
    From what the coaches told us, you can't accept any awards. So you could compete but it would in all means be a schooling show.

Quote Originally Posted by HobbyHorse101 View Post
    From what the coaches told us, you can't accept any awards. So you could compete but it would in all means be a schooling show.
    When I was riding in IHSA a few years ago I understood it as you couldn't ride in EQUITATION classes over 3'3 however, I'm sure it has changed 5-6x since then.

For NCAA the rules on awards are a little complicated. During the school year you are not supposed to accept any cash awards, but you can compete in whatever you want. The rules are a little more complicated during the summer.

I have a daughter that rides on an NCAA, there is no premium put on teaching ability. There is a premium on being able to ride a lot of different, sometimes quirky, horses and on good equitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsperson View Post
    For NCAA the rules on awards are a little complicated. During the school year you are not supposed to accept any cash awards, but you can compete in whatever you want. The rules are a little more complicated during the summer.

I have a daughter that rides on an NCAA, there is no premium put on teaching ability. There is a premium on being able to ride a lot of different, sometimes quirky, horses and on good equitation.
    That is what I thought, thanks for the clarification!!