The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Sarcoids, XXTERRA, etc... Pics added post #10

Per my vet's advice, I treated a sarcoid under my horse's jaw with XXTERRA. Was warned it would get ugly, which it did. The whole thing scabbed off (and it's about 3"x1"), then peeled off. What I am left with now (a few weeks later) is an area that will not heal up.
    I have heard that it could take months after treatment to finally heal completly and am wondering if anyone has delt with this.
    Did you put anything on it, leave it alone?
    Last edited by BEARCAT; Jul. 30, 2010 at 07:13 PM.
    "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

FreeSpiritAcres Guest

my mom & her boyfriend had the same issue with one of their mares. they found that vetricyn spray helped a lot. the hair is even growing back now. not sure if it would work for you, but it's worth a try.

I used Xterra on my gelding on a vets advice last year. He had a golfball size sarcoid just behind the girth area. I had to reapply 3 times over a # of months a few weeks apart He has a small hairless scar there now, but it healed wonderfully after all of the sarcoid essentially "fell off". I did his last treatment in the fall when there was no bugs, so did not have to worry about the flies. I did not really treat it with anything other than the Xterra and just keeping it clean. Good luck with yours, I hope it heals well for you.

I sprayed Alushield on my boy's open wound after the scabby gunk fell off. It made me feel better and I just did it initially - once I decided the treatment time was up and I wasn't putting Xxterra on anymore. It did sort of dry up and start to heal not much later. He has a small flat scar now (6-7 months later)
    Y'all ain't right!

I used Alushield as well--worked great! I don't remember it taking long at all to heal up. I think at one point I felt like it was getting a bit dry and used neosporin for a few days, but I didn't really do too much to treat it. I find that there's kind of a balance on things like that--you want to keep them clean and encourage them to heal, but you don't want to have your fingers in there every day and mess with it too much, or it just won't heal.

Too late now, but just to keep in mind for future use--because my horse had sarcoids that were not in a bad spot, just kind of unsightly, my vet recommended waiting to use the Xterra until winter, so that when the sarcoids fell off I wouldn't be dealing with flies. When it's a spot that can wait, it definitely makes life easier.

Clients horse had a pretty big sarcoid on side of neck, he put the XXterra on at the start of summer...UGGH.. what a mess, vet had to come out and debride area then we put Zimectrian on over it for a week, kept rotating between topicals that would help keep it clean and flys out. It took several sessions with the XXterra (2 bottles) but as large and ugly as the area was it is now totally healed and most of the hair has grown back over. I would wait until the flys are about gone before using!

Thankfully we don't have very many flys up here, and I've never seen them on the treated spot (although it is "raw" looking.)

Friends horse had a bunch of sarcoids, did the Xxterra and it got ugly, then cleared up but the hair never grew back?

My mare had a lot of them on her when I first got her, and we used the Xxterra. They were ugly until the sarcoids were gone, but the wounds that were left healed pretty quickly. Luckily that's when I was up in Oregon so flies weren't a problem. Here in AZ keeping even the tiniest wound fly-free is a nightmare!

The hair never grew back where the sarcoids were, so my horse has a ton of little bald spots on her, but hey, after eight years, not a single sarcoid has come back!!!

Good luck. If it's really not healing up after a couple of weeks of the sarcoid being gone, I'd have the vet out just to take a look and make sure nothing else is going on.

I took some photos today, after giving it a good scrubing with Betadine. I wanted to see what was really under there. Note that it does not seem to hurt him, even when I was scrubing it pretty good.

This was after the cleaning:
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL179.../390289484.jpg

With my hand for scale:

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL179.../390289482.jpg

And I put some Neosporin on it...
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL179.../390289483.jpg

It almost seems more like proud flesh to me now, though I have no first hand experience with that.

I will try to see if I can email those photos to the vet. Wish she were closer and could have a look in person, but it's a 3+ hour drive round trip.