The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Building Topline/Back Muscles w/ No Hills

Okay, so you all saw in my conformation critique thread how undeveloped my mare's topline and rear are.

I have sidereins & surcingle and lunge her in that in a semi-deep sand ring over calvaletti (raised and flat).

My barn buddy has that pessoa pulley lunge system too but I haven't tried it out yet. I don't know how much difference from sidereins it is.

But other than that, we have zero hills here on the eastern shore of MD.

What else can we do? I don't have a trailer myself, but my barn buddy does and we trailer out for x-country schools nearby, but still, no hills.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Trotting poles. Elevated trotting poles. Transitions, up and down. Transitions within the gait, concentrating on pushing from behind.
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://tinyurl.com/kj7x53c
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e

Yeah that's about all we do right now.

Lots of trot poles, I start them flat on the ground and then I get my "jump crew" i.e. the boyfriend to raise them a little and we continue over those.

Then we spread them out more and canter over them, then come back to the trot, etc.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Here's a good exercise:
    On a large circle, establish a forward, rhythmic, connected medium trot. At a designated point, transition to walk and make sure that the walk is marching, pushing, powerful for 20 steps or so, then step up to canter (no trotting in the transition), then after a circle at canter, back down to medium trot. Repeat. Do both directions. You can also change it up by placing poles at random locations on your large circle.
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://tinyurl.com/kj7x53c
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e

The above posts are great suggestions. I would also back your horse. You'd be surprised at how well simply backing and then moving off will develop the top line. The key is not to let them become hallow in the back and ewe necked when they are backing, they should stay through in the contact or if you're doing it with a halter, use a treat to keep them from going above the vertical.
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Plain ol' fashioned good, correct, long work

Transitions within and between gaits, lateral work, reinbacks, working over raised poles in both straight and curved lines.

But the WORK has to be correct, as in the horse is engaged, impulsive, soft in front, lifting his back, not bulging shoulders or haunches. It's all basic dressage work

You do not need the designer training "system" to fix anything here because it won't fix what is missing. Plain old regular and consistent riding over a period of time will do that.

Just riding out of the ring over uneven ground and varying footing will help her, even without hills.
    Tying her head back with one of these things will do nothing at all to strengthen her back end and her conformation may not support that anyway so you will end up doing more harm then good and get her not wanting to come forward.

She has never had a good, consistent regular program. Just give her that, tend to the health issues and give it time.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.