The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to correctly fit a standing martingale?

I need this is in an about.com article So whats the guidlines? Right now I have mine so the horse doesn't know it there unless he becomes a giraffe, and even then I'm not sure it would come into play (wouldn't know since he well schooled)... but I copied best I could what i see in photos. When I have him on the bit (think dressage or equitation flat as this horse is trained through 3rd level) the martingale is literally flapping.

Seriously wish the standing martingale wasn't a fad, 'cause I don't need one and I've always believed in not putting on unneeded equipment... oh well.

I have always gone by if the martingale can touch the throatlatch /throat area with out any of the leather draping. If that makes any sense what so ever! Lol

P.

Then don't use it

But, if you feel you must, the section that connects from the chest to the noseband should be able to touch up to the throatlatch when the horse's head/neck are in a normal position.

And yes, the more "collected" the horse is, the more that piece will flap around.

I definitely wouldn't call it a fad.

If you don't need it, don't use it.

It has become a staple in the hunter o/f rings, but again, if it's not necessary, don't use it. You will not be penalized for not having it, if anything, depending on the judge, you may be slightly rewarded.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by NeedsAdvil View Post
    I definitely wouldn't call it a fad.
    Uhhh, yah, if you show in one and your horse doesn't need it, IT IS A FAD.

Time was, you'd be marked down for having a horse that needed one!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

No, using something you don't need doesn't make it a fad:

fad:
    –noun a temporary fashion, notion, manner of conduct, etc., esp. one followed enthusiastically by a group.
    an intense but short-lived fashion; craze

Note the "temporary" and "short-lived". SMs have been in use for YEARS. Years and years.

alright kiddos settle down, let's not start another train wreck here, I forgot my flame suit at home today

Point is, op. If you don't need to use one, don't.

End of story.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Thanks guys, yes, by "fad", I was referring to something short lived or trendy. I have been using martingales since I started riding in the 80s.

It's true that not EVERY horse may need a SM, but to me it's a piece of safety equipment and therefore necessary. Using one on your horse will not cause any harm, but it may prevent some!

The funny thing is, I fitted mine as stated above, it barely touched the throat latch area. While at a show recently I had a fellow trainer help me as I had hurt my back and wasn't doing to hot. Anyways she preceded to reprimand me because my martingale was useless when it went to there, it should be just shy of taunt when in the relaxed standing position I'm talking maybe an inch of give. This is a woman with a lot of knowledge under her belt.

So in short I'm glad you started this article because for years I have adjusted them as mentioned and I thought I was going crazy when I got told other wise. I never did adjust mine come to think of it....

Usually, when a knowledgeable trainer has adjusted mine, it was definitely been on the shorter side. I think a lot of it depends on the horse and their natural carriage, as well as how much they use their head and neck over fences. I have one horse that requires a pretty short martingale, but with the other (who prob doesn't need it at all, but again, better safe than sorry), I adhere to the "able to touch the throatlatch rule.

Quote Originally Posted by nlk View Post
    she preceded to reprimand me because my martingale was useless when it went to there, it should be just shy of taunt when in the relaxed standing position I'm talking maybe an inch of give. This is a woman with a lot of knowledge under her belt.
    And that is really, really scary. If it's that short, it does not allow the horse any normal use of freedom of his head and neck, and they want a horse to JUMP like that?

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=267020

read the link as it cover both the standing and the running martingale

[QUOTE=nlk;5005430]The funny thing is, I fitted mine as stated above, it barely touched the throat latch area. While at a show recently I had a fellow trainer help me as I had hurt my back and wasn't doing to hot. Anyways she preceded to reprimand me because my martingale was useless when it went to there, it should be just shy of taunt when in the relaxed standing position I'm talking maybe an inch of give. This is a woman with a lot of knowledge under her belt.

I see a LOT of this in our area of SoCal. And no, they can't use their heads on landing. One of the reasons (IMO) so many horses down here seem to dive over the fences and land in a heap now. I had always believed you should be able to just bring it up to the throatlatch when standing naturally.