The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any one successfully corrected being "one handed"?

(I tried to search but wasn't sure exactly what to look for). . . My trainer told me that I am really one handed (right) - so for instance turning right I overbend with my inside hand and he drifts the other way. I try to focus on it and keep my outside contact steady regardless of which way I'm going but any tips/tricks?

well try hacking with just your index and thumb holding the rein. Stick the other 3 fingers straight out .., trust me you will suddenly notice your right hand being bossy.. eventually you will jam your fingers and that will remind ya too

also can try rotating your hand/fist upside down to the outside for a while so instead of thumb facing inside or even up.. its pointed to rail.. you need to take away some of that arm strength so your left will have to work more often

If you ride a horse that drifts left you will become more right handed and left legged, while if you ride a horse that drifts right you will become more left handed and right legged. The best way to avoid this one-sidedness is to ride lots of different horses to keep you from getting weak on one side.

Instead of thinking that you should maintain contact w/ the outside rein, actually think counter bend. For a while, you will overbend your horse to the outside, but once you get comfortable with riding off your outside aids, you will improve. Also, maybe look into some dressage lessons. You can fix this. It's not that hard really. Also, FORCE yourself to ride mostly in your bad direction. Soon, it will be almost as good as your good direction. I am right handed and SUCK at riding to the right. I am SO much better on the left lead. I have to force myself to ride to the right! LOL

Try bridging your reins in your right hand and taking your left arm and placing it behind your back. If you're favoring your dominant right side, you're probably twisting that way a bit. Placing your left forearm across the small of your back will help you to straighten out. You can also try dropping your stirrup on your weaker side. Of course, you can also do it the other way, placing your right hand behind your back, if your trainer says that's the weaker side.

give as in you give-- we call it here riding as you write
    so the horse si strong on one side and weak on the other so you give on your strongest side to even it up

hands hands hands but

position read my helpful links pages on page one
    1st off altered your stirups to creect lenght as this will help your postiton
    in turn will help your balance

read all links on page one
    and link 2 metherdith manor - ok

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=178116

then go to bottom of pages and find other training methods and exercises
    and d o some simple exercises without stirrups, and this will improve your balance on the lunge rein with your trianer until you can do them off the lunge rrein

this will improve your balance but it will also be helping you work from an independant seat- independants hands and legs
    which will help with the hands so one isnt hanging on to his mouth
    but riding him from your arse --- from butt to the poll to a relaxed yaw

An exercise to help you use your hands more equally- take a crop and hold it in your thumbs while you are holding the reins, so the crop is parallel to the ground. You'll find that you can't steer with just one rein or just one hand- you have to use both! It kinda feels like you have a steering wheel stuck in your hands...
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

The folks over on the dressage board know I am a big proponent of Mary Wanless and her work. She's written several books.

Here's a link to her website.

http://www.mary-wanless.com/index.html

I ride jumpers, trail horses, and hunters in addition to the dressage. Her work is applicable to anyone trying to figure out how their body works on the back of a horse.

My trainer uses a rope to correct this... I've never tried to type a description of it before - if it's not clear, I apologize wholeheartedly! She takes a length of rope and loops it through the rings of the bit so it goes under the horse's chin, creating essentially a circle of rope that serves as reins (this only works with a snaffle). Your actual reins are taken off the bridle and you have to rely on the rope. If you go to use just one hand, the rope slides through the rings and you end up not accomplishing anything (or punching yourself in the face if you don't correct it quickly enough). It worked great to cure me of one-handedness and it's very easy to do!

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    My trainer uses a rope to correct this... I've never tried to type a description of it before - if it's not clear, I apologize wholeheartedly! She takes a length of rope and loops it through the rings of the bit so it goes under the horse's chin, creating essentially a circle of rope that serves as reins (this only works with a snaffle). Your actual reins are taken off the bridle and you have to rely on the rope. If you go to use just one hand, the rope slides through the rings and you end up not accomplishing anything (or punching yourself in the face if you don't correct it quickly enough). It worked great to cure me of one-handedness and it's very easy to do!

I am definately going to try this! Thank you!

That actually sounds very effective and very hilarious to watch.

I may suggest this for myself, because I have developed a serious steering issue with my left hand dominating!

I'll probably end up punching myself in the face....
    "Look, I'm trying not to test the durability of the arena with my face!" (Because only GM can do that.)

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    Thanks everyone. My trainer also mentioned the above altho I suspect he may think that it may be too big an invitation to disaster!