The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Shadbelly for hunter derby?

Can you wear a shadbelly in a hunter derby?

can and Should
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

Would you wear one at a upscale 'C' rated show?

Some may disagree, but I say go for it!
    Who's to say you can't have a little fun and get dressed up at a 'C' show?

That being said, I wouldn't go out of my way to BUY a shadbelly for a 'C' hunter derby, but if you have one, do it!

80% of riders in local unrated shows that happened to have a Hunter Derby class ere wearing shads at two separate venues.

True - the horses weren't braided and it was a pretty casual atmosphere, but fun to wear the tails! But like the above poster said - wouldn't buy one to wear in it (plenty of folks just wearing normal hunt coats and didn't pin any worse for it), but if you have one, rock it!

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by TrakeGirl View Post
    80% of riders in local unrated shows that happened to have a Hunter Derby class ere wearing shads at two separate venues.

True - the horses weren't braided and it was a pretty casual atmosphere, but fun to wear the tails! But like the above poster said - wouldn't buy one to wear in it (plenty of folks just wearing normal hunt coats and didn't pin any worse for it), but if you have one, rock it!
    They showed UNBRAIDED horses in a Derby... but wore tails?

Wow.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I would certainly wear one for a hunter derby set at 3'6" or above at an A rated show. If it were a "C" rated show, then I wouldn't. I definitely would not dream of wearing one without braiding mane and tail.

Definitely not without braids. How tacky - you've dressed yourself up for the party but not your horse?
    ---
    They're small hearts.

i think she was refrring to the tails on the shad. not a braided tail .lol =) that would look really odd..
    If your not being a good example than you'll just have to be a horrible warning. =o)
    http://www.maneandtail.com
    breeders of quality tb's and welsh ponies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabwrdd_ridge View Post
    i think she was refrring to the tails on the shad. not a braided tail .lol =) that would look really odd..
    Yes, she said that they wore a shad WITHOUT braiding. You shouldn't wear one if you don't braid.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Definitely not without braids. How tacky - you've dressed yourself up for the party but not your horse?
    Everyone has their own opinion, but I didn't think much of it. It was just a local farm show. Only takes 2 seconds to "dress yourself up" as compared to 2 hours to dress your horse up/have to pay braider/etc...I don't particularly blame the folks that chose not to braid.

No one was braided for the regular hunter classes.

How trashy of them.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Everyone has their own opinion, but I didn't think much of it. It was just a local farm show. Only takes 2 seconds to "dress yourself up" as compared to 2 hours to dress your horse up/have to pay braider/etc...I don't particularly blame the folks that chose not to braid.

Then don't wear tails. If it's a local farm show, they're not particularly appropriate anyway unless formal attire is specified.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Does wearing a shadbelly really rise to the level of being "trashy"? I don't think so. I was told braiding is now $60per mane in some places. As someone else wrote changing jackets only takes a minute.

No, I would not go into the ring at Devon or Hampton's unbraided, but at a one day show - why not.

yes, but...It's silly enough to wear a shad(The ultimate over-the-top formal wear for hunters) at a local show, and probably with field (not dress boots) but really, not bothering to braid either?
    You're really talking formal long dress, diamond tiara, sneakers and hair curlers. Not a good look at all....
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Braiding is not $60 per mane unless you don't know how to do it yourself. And you only DON'T KNOW if you refuse to learn. Wearing a shadbelly on an unbraided horse IS trashy.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

If you want to call people you don't even know trashy...that's fine. LOL. You have every right to state your opinion.

The farm show did encourage formal attire for the mini-Derby (max height was 3ft) so out came the shads. Some people chose to braid, some didn't. Look...it isn't that big of a deal...it was just a fun show. If the Lord of Hunter Properness was watching and in disgust...well...I'm sure the people that didn't braid send their apologies. Or not.

And just FYI - the winner had two lovely trips scored an 84 in the first round and a 91 in the second round...and was in a shad with no braids. GASP! The judge was actually an USEF R judge as well that had come in for the show.

Isn't it more about the riding, folks? Especially at an unrated local farm show? We aren't talking Devon here.

Okay - ending the train wreck.

No one's calling them trashy, they're calling how they're dressed trashy. Because what they've done is exactly as Madeline said. Further, it makes the point that the HORSE is not the star here, it's all about the rider.

You have to pin the round if it's within the rules, but it's still cringeworthy.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFrytheEqHorse View Post
    Braiding is not $60 per mane unless you don't know how to do it yourself. And you only DON'T KNOW if you refuse to learn. Wearing a shadbelly on an unbraided horse IS trashy.
    Braiding is $50 a mane where I am. I do know how to do it. But I also work full-time as an attorney to pay for my horse habit! So, I usually am up late working the night before shows or am traveling to get to said shows so I can't really braid when I get there if I have the first class of the day. (shrugs) I did my own braiding for my foal when he was inspected by the Belgian Warmblood society, though. Some of us choose to pay for braiders either because we "have" to or for convenience; some days, I really don't want to get to the show at 4:30 AM to braid. I also busted my butt as a working student, nanny and nighttime data entry clerk to pay my way through law school so now, if I choose, I can afford to pay the braider if I wish.

That being said, I do think it looks a little odd to be at a local show with no braids and wearing your shad. However, if you want to, I don't see any real harm in it it just looks strange. I wouldn't really call it trashy because it IS a smaller C-show. It would definitely be trashy to show up at an A or AA show in the 3'6" derby with no braids, dirty tack, a plastic Troxel helmet and your shad.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    No one's calling them trashy, they're calling how they're dressed trashy. Because what they've done is exactly as Madeline said. Further, it makes the point that the HORSE is not the star here, it's all about the rider.

You have to pin the round if it's within the rules, but it's still cringeworthy.
    EDIT: I didn't see this until after I posted but this is a good point I hadn't thought of. I still wouldn't call it trashy since I think that word is very unpleasant, but it does sort of say "Hey, look at me! I am SOOOO awesome! My horse? Meh, he's okay."

My pony would definitly be braided, mane and tail, if i wore my shad. Most likely i would braid her anyway for it even if i didnt wear it. Its a 3 day show, showing friday-sunday not a one day.