The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse standing with fronts forward...??? UPDATE 1st post

My FIL has an 8 year old App gelding who has always been barefoot. BIG feet, trimmer always compliments on the quality of foot.

Trimmed yesterday. Trimmer took note of scratches on hind pasterns that are in process of being treated, and the stocking up of hind legs due to that. Horse was fine before trim ad after, but today is wanting to stand still, putting front feet out in front of him, normal with the rears. He really doesn't want to move, but will if strongly urged. Walks mostly normal then, no balance issues, just reluctance to walk.

No pulse or heat noticed in the feet. No other physical issues popping out.

Horse hasn't been ridden since late June (due to heat and rider not wanting to ride in heat). He's simply a trail horse when being ridden. Not ever hard. Very big sturdy usually sound horse.

He's never been IR or Cushings. He's on low carb feed, but just got new alf/OG hay.

What do you think the standing forward with his front feet all about? I'm sure a couple more days will tell, and FIL will be monitoring to see if there are any changes either way. Horse lives on his property.

*****UPDATE**********

Seems FIL misread the signals horse was giving him. But he was right that there was no pulse or heat.

He had the vet out yesterday, and all foot and leg on each leg tested out fine except for the left fore upper arm/shoulder area. That was very reactive to palpation. So he did something dumb to himself out in the field, it appears. Way better than laminitis, for sure!
    Last edited by Melelio; Jul. 30, 2010 at 08:16 AM.
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

I'd be seriously worried he is laminitic. The trim may be coincidental, who knows.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    I'd be seriously worried he is laminitic. The trim may be coincidental, who knows.
    Agree.

I wouldnt be waiting a few day to find out, either.
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I third that. I'd take every precaution just in case....ice and banamine for a few days. Put him on soft bedding and let him be - do NOT make him walk if he doesn't want to. No grain.

If you wait until it's obvious, it may be too late. I have dodged the rotation bullet twice with the same fat pony by being super aggressive the moment I suspected laminitis. Both times it was just a HINT of discomfort. You can't be too careful, but you can regret it you wait. ETA: My vet says it irritates him to no end when people wait until the horse can't walk to call about laminitis...because then it's foundered.

I agree with all...don't wait...call your vet, ice his feet, give him some Banamine, maybe some Ace and get him on soft footing asap. Take his temperature too just in case.

I just literally went through this myself over the past three days. My foxtrotter came in from pasture moving oddly and was reluctant to move on hard ground. He's sound as a dollar usually so this was a big red flag. I called my vet and she said to ice his feet (cover the entire foot plus the coronary band) every hour for 20 minutes for as many times as you can in a 48 hour period, give 10cc Banamine (I know how to do IV shots so I did IV but you can use paste), 2 cc ACE IM and get him on soft footing. I am lucky enough to have an attached covered arena with very soft footing so I put him straight in there and it was perfect because he was comfortable enough to move a little which was what he needed. She checked him yesterday and drew blood to check for insulin resistance. We were lucky, very lucky because it was mild and he's almost 100% recovered in two days but laminitis rarely just gets better on its own so please call your vet before it gets worse.

Call. The. Vet.

While you're waiting for vet to get to the barn, stop at a Quick Chek or 7-11 and buy a bag of ice. ICE the feet (dump a bag of ice & add water into a bucket). DO NOT give any drugs unless the vet says to (including Banamine).

Your post has red flags ALL over it that are just screaming Laminitis.

would also question if there is any chance of walnut contamination in the bedding and footing

agree with others this is not a wait and see situation

I hope the reason OP hasn't responded is because she's icing now

It's not her horse... She may have no control over it at all...
    ---

True, hopefully FIL isn't a "let's wait and see" kinda guy then.

I did call my FIL to tell of your responses. Only reason I questioned the laminitic possibility is he said there was no heat or pulse. Now I think maybe he isn't quite sure where to feel the pulse.

Told him to get him in on soft bedding, any hay fed should be the old stuff, no grain, ice, and call the vet. We'll let him take it.

Ironic thing is, he was just told by his doctor that he own glucose levels have skyrocketed and he needs to start treating him for pre-diabetic condition, low carb/sugar....

Thanks all....
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Hope it works out for them both ~~

Let us know what happens!
    ---