The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Want Therapeutic Hock Boots for the dressage horse

I originally posted this under Horse Care but nobody answered so I hope the Mod doesn't move it. I'm hoping maybe more DQ folks use hock boots than ppl who lurk in Horse Care...

I want to purchase some hock boots for my gelding and would like to know which ones on the market are the best or if any of you have any experience using them. I have heard of Back On Track hock boots, but also heard they can cause a lot of heat and may actually be bad. There are also those magnetic boots, but have no clue which brand is reputable.

I would like to find something that gives him some local relief from any pain and inflammation he might experience during training. I would also like to be able to keep them on overnight or for extended periods of time. Thanks!
    Most friendships in the horse world are just an opinion away from doom.

Hmmm… I have cold therapy hock boots for my mare, but you don't keep them on overnight.

I think that icing after a workout is really good as a preventative for heat and swelling. It's easy to pop these on while untacking and grooming: Ice Horse Hock Boots

Those ice boots look nice. How long do they stay cold? Or maybe I should ask how long do you typically leave them on?
    Most friendships in the horse world are just an opinion away from doom.

Quote Originally Posted by GreekDressageQueen View Post
    Those ice boots look nice. How long do they stay cold? Or maybe I should ask how long do you typically leave them on?
    The ice packs stay cold for about two hours. I like them because you knead them gently when you pull them out of the freezer, before putting them in the boots, so they're soft and then when you wrap the hock (or wherever - I also have tendon wraps) it conforms to the leg instead of being hard like ice. With the elsastic straps you use to attach the boots, you can create kind of a gentle compression.

I personally just put them on for the time while I'm untacking and grooming, so about ten to fifteen minutes. From what I've read, that's about the amount of time you want to do it.

I used to keep them in my home freezer and bring them to the barn in one of those insulated shopping bags, and they'd still be cold after my ride. Now the BO added a fridge with freezer in the tack room, so I don't have to transport them