The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best Oral Joint Supplement for the competing Senior Horse

looking for recommendations on the hands down best oral joint supplement for the competing senior....looking to find the product that gives you the most bang for your buck-including high levels of glucosamine/choI'mndroitin,msm,HA, and any other vital ingredients particularly that would be good for the senior horse

I've used Horse Tech's Hylasport, Recovery Eq HA,and SmartFlex Repair,and Lubrisyn in the past...just would like feed back on what everybodys using and having the best results w/...right now we're trying Mega Grand Flex,plus Grand HA and i don't think its working as well as some of the others....i'm also considering Platinum Performance CJ but am wondering if its truly worth it b/c its very pricey...can i get the same result combining other products? My vet carries a liquid joint supp called Vet Flex that has all the key ingredients-its a gallon-and is like a 2 maybe 3 months supply for around $100! it also has ingredients such as yucca,devils claw,and boswelia ....are these ingredients good for seniors?!?

Also....i already know about joint injections/adaquan,legend etc

Thanks in advance

I am using Platinum Performance CJ on my older mare. Really like it. Used to use Smart Pak Senior but I think CJ is much better, albeit a lot more expensive.

We use Hyalun for everything.

I use Cosequin ASU for my arthritic gelding, but for cost effectiveness I believe we're switching him to the glucosamine shots. I've heard great things, especially from my vet, about Platinum Performance, so if you're willing to pay that much, that would probably be something that would work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceagevalkyrie View Post
    We use Hyalun for everything.
    Me too. Both my seniors are on Hyalun.

The 24 yo is still in work, and not stiff.

The 28 yo is retired, but it makes a noticeable difference between a comfortable pasture ornament and an umcomfortable pasture ornament.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

My vet recommends Cosequin ASU. I think injectables tend to work better though.

I've used Recovery HA. I'm not entirely sure I saw a huge difference, but he definitely didn't get worse on it.

I think a good all-around diet is as important, if not more important, than joint supplements. I think it all helps and I definitely won't stop using the joint supplements, but I think a healthy conditioning program and good nutrition also play huge roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Concetta View Post
    it also has ingredients such as yucca,devils claw,and boswelia ....are these ingredients good for seniors?!?
    I think some of these herbal anti-inflammatories can help, but keep in mind that Devil's Claw is on the USEF prohibited substances list.

Used the injectable Legend for several years and switched to the oral LubriSyn or Hyalauronex. Showed at the AAs in the 3' Adults until horse was about 17, then dropped to 2'6" but still showed actively for 3 years.

Taking this year off. Been a little stiff but much better now, possibly something fusing (finally).

Also always had a vitamin supplement containing the glucs and chondroitin (sp?) and have had a few hock jobs. It's a total program though...not just the oral HA. You have to watch the workload and footing as well as careful warm ups.

Have started on Previcox twice a week (actually did that last fall), will go to 3 times if we start getting more serious again. Really helps horse's comfort level and gentle on the tummy.
    And, yeah, careful on the "natural" stuff. Devils claw is illegal and some of them have valerian (a tranq) or similar in there so horse does not care what hurts.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I would use:

yucca
    MSM
    IV legend
    or Flex Force (same product as lubrysin but only 70 bucks per gallon instead of 300)

I have no idea if Flex Force works but it is cheap enough to try.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post

I have no idea if Flex Force works but it is cheap enough to try.
    I tried it. Nothing. Hyalauronex can be found for about 240 a gallon and you can stretch the stuff out by going to every other day.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I tried many products on my horse and found "Four Flex w/ HA" works best for him.

I did use Legend and Adiquan. Found Adiquan was better for his situation.... but it's pricey...

I think it really depends on the horse and what their issue is.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

GLC 5500 + MSM supplement. I swear by GLC. Here is the website:

http://www.glcdirect.com/glc5500/index.php

"GLC 5500 outperforms other national products by providing higher milligram levels, unequaled purity, and a significantly lower price for the active ingredients, glucosamine and chondroitin."

We put our daughters 15 year old pony on Acti-Flex 4000. I have noticed a big difference in him since we started him on it. It is inexpensive and easy to feed. We feed him half of the recommended dose because he is a pony which makes it last twice as long.
    http://www.bigdweb.com/Media/PDFS/4899.pdf
    http://www.bigdweb.com/detail.aspx?id=18448
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

I've been looking at the Platinum Performance CJ as well. I figure it's kind of the all-around supplement - I'd be supplementing with all the stuff in it anyway, and high quality stuff doesn't come cheap. Everyone I know has raved and raved about PP by itself, and the ingredient levels of the joint stuff is very high. I plan to give it a shot if the lease with my slightly older guy goes through! That said, I also plan to use injectibles if necessary (Legend/Adequan) and he has been getting a yearly hock job for about two years now. So, we will carry on with that too.