The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Craigslist - is it just for laughs? has it worked for you?

Craigslist seems to be an endless source of rage, mockery and amusement here (and by the examples, it deserves it at times). I have to say when I was looking for a horse (and a cheap one at that) I looked briefly at CL, but saw so few ideal ads, and so few with enough info to encourage me to make a phone call, that I didn't follow up on any of them.

Has any COTHer has ever actually successfully bought or sold a horse through Craigslist?

If so, what's your story?

I actually found a horse for my friend's daughter and we'll try to see her this weekend. she sounds perfect. I think with any FREE ad, you'll have a lot of nuts. But there are some good ones there too. I actually cringe at the pets listings, b/c i have seen some horrid people on there and some really dumb people posting.

I did buy my pony from a CL ad. Drove nearly 4 hours to see him...only to find an extremely skinny, bite-mark/rain rot infested pony. Bought him out of pity, he was so sweet.

Ended up rehabbing him, and he turned into a beautiful prospect 6 months later.

Sold him on CL to a nice girl an hour or 2 away from me.

So yes....Craigslist can be scary, but also can turn out well. You just need to really weed out the crazies if you want to buy/sell anything.....boy, did I get some crazy emails from people inquiring about my pony, lol.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

I've had great responses from CL. I also have to say I have met many friends through horse sells and ads for boarding through CL. I've bought and sold horses and tack on CL, got great deals and found good homes and even located a horse I had sold and lost track of through an ad I placed on CL and now we're also friends.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

I've been looking at CL, but so far what I've found is that the nicer sounding horses sell REALLY fast. I've called about several and looked at two. Neither was quite as represented due to lack of knowledge by the seller. Due to my work schedule and not being free to look during the week, others I've been interested in sold before I was able to arrange an appointment to see them. It's a fast moving market place for sure.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Smile

I have to say I was extremely reluctant, as a seller,to post an ad on Craigslist, but that is how I ended up finding a buyer for my TB.
    I think it helped to have nice photos and to be able to post up to 4 or free.
    He sold to the first person that came upand tried him out.

I was having no luck with any other websites, so I thought why not..

Default Success

I've sold and purchased tack, I've found horses, boarding facilities, hay...and I just sold a horse on CL. I did get a bunch of lookie-loo and odd emails. But I did get 1 really well written, thoughtful email, and as it turns out, the girl who wrote it is very nice, and very excited to have found her new horse. She came with her trainer/bm, and I was very impressed with how they conducted themselves.

So, its not all bad- you have to weed through it.

A cautionary tale ;

David Sparre, the 19-year old from Brunswick, Georgia sought in the latest Craigslist murder case, was arrested in South Carolina over the weekend.
    He’s being returned to Jacksonville, Florida where he will face charges for the stabbing murder of Tiara Pool, whom he met on Craigslist.
    Reportedly Sparre admitted to the killing and the murder weapon was retrieved. His motives are still unknown.
    Sparre met his victim through the personals section of Craigslist and they communicated by email and phone until finally meeting in person, after which he allegedly stabbed her in her apartment multiple times and stole her car, later abandoning it.
    Sparre fled to relatives in South Carolina until his arrest by US Marshals this weekend. He was identified and tracked down by the police through email and phone records.
    This latest Craigslist murder is just one in a string of robberies, murders, and other crimes committed with links to the site. One watchdog blogger maintains a listing of Craigslist crimes and believes the number of related crimes to be well over one thousand over the past four years.
    Please use common sense when utilizing social media!
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I posted a pony I had for sale on several paid internet sites; DreamHorse, HorseCity, a couple of others and Craigslist. Guess where my buyer came from? Yep, Craigslist. In fact that ad got more responses than all the other sites combined. My ad was honest and well thought out. It didn't contain any mispellings or grammatical errors (that I could find). I took, what I thought were, quality pictures and video showing what the pony could do, what he has done and his current condition. Not all people posting on Craigslist are illiterate trash....but a lot of them are
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Bought a brand new Rambo quartersheet off Craigslist last winter ... met the girl in a restaurant parking lot at lunch and was done in five minutes.

I've seen a few cute horses on Craigslist locally that were obviously being sold by people who did not know what they had, but those are outnumbered 10 to 1 by the fugly (either pregnant or intact), barely broke, skinny grade horses on there. Those make me so sad.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    I have to say I was extremely reluctant, as a seller,to post an ad on Craigslist, but that is how I ended up finding a buyer for my TB.
    I think it helped to have nice photos and to be able to post up to 4 or free.
    He sold to the first person that came upand tried him out.

I was having no luck with any other websites, so I thought why not..
    I sold one of my geldings on CL because I wasn't having luck on the other sites. He was pretty scraggly looking when I got him back from the person who leased him, but he was still a good solid citizen. The hour I posted him, someone called, came out the next day, thought about it and now she has a really great trail horse. She has kept me posted on his progress as I was pretty worried about selling him in the condition he was in. He looks absolutely fabulous now! I am glad I did it, although I have heard many horror stories about CL.

i haven't sold anything on CL, but i have bought (and helped friends locate) saddles and horses from CL. my latest purchase is my childs pony in training, a very cute POA medium pony with lots of personality.

there are lots of sellers who are really horse novices, but if (like me) you have more time than money, you can weed through and find some great bargains.
    * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

maaaaaaan how do you all keep your ads from getting flagged?????

I posted a Lovely warmblood cross at a very decent bargin price (but not kill buyers), and got flagged off with nasty reply telling me to stay off craigslist unless I am giving my horse away?? The same thing happened to my friend every single one of her boarding training or for sale ads were flagged while others stayed up untouched.

It was really weird every ad thereafter for anything I put up, even unrelated to the original, was flagged off. I started to wonder if someone was just Po'd at me (paranoid much who me?? )
    And YES I read carefully the terms of service and violated none.. while other ads for local trainers with 5 to 10 K ads stayed up for weeks.. it was all very surreal and I gave up on craigslist!
    "Sport N Curls"
    Sport Horse type Curlies and Sport Ponies with the mind, looks and athletic ability to compete in a variety of disciplines.
    www.seldomcreek.com

I bought a tack trunk, a PDN, and sold a Beval saddle on craigslist. Sold a horse into a lovely 4H home and a friend has bought 3 horses off craiglist. Had another friend sell a horse trailer.

Had some adds flagged, mostly by people who must be really really bored and mean.

Never a horse, but I sold a jet ski on CL the same week I posted the ad - in a bad economy. And I got the price I wanted too... it was a miracle I tell ya.

Mockery and rage? All I see is a free classified site. We must be looking at different things. I've bought and sold tons of tack through Craigslist. I've been very happy and had very good experiences. The only negative experience was when I put an ad out for someone to help with barn chores while I was out of town. The lady sounded great on the phone but never showed up for the apt. we had set up for training. She finally called 3 days later and said "I'm sorry but I ended up going up to Green Bay that day and forgot to call. Do you still want me to come out?" Um gee sherlock, let's think about that for a minute.........how about NO.

I have never bought or sold a horse through craigslist, but I have a staff of over 30 employees (darn GOOD ones!) that all came from craigslist.
    Out of 100 responses I'll interview maybe 5 and hire 1... so you do have to pick through alot, but I've found some real gems
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

We’ve had amazing luck with Craigslist. We bought our farm, both our vehicles, and horses off of Craigslist. We’ve sold two horses to wonderful families. One keeps emailing us and the other sends videos and pictures regularly for updates. We’ve also bought our goats and rehomed a Doberman through Craigslist. Oh, and found our hay supplier and farrier on Craigslist. I guess it depends on the area in which you live and probably what you have for sale.

I bought my saddle on CL without any problems. But...recently I was trying to sell it as I don't have a horse anymore and would rather have lesson money. One guy emailed, asking if it was red (normal little crosby pdn, WITH pics). Then he called me, asking if I'd trade the saddle for an arab and went on to accuse me of being prejudiced against arabs when I said no, I'm not in a position to own a horse right now. I didn't mention that my last horse was an anglo-arab/hann cross. I've ignored the several emails he's sent since that call.

There are some weird people out there.

There's probably the same cross-section of gems, losers, freaks and dummies as in the world at large.

I have made (probably literally) hundreds of CL purchases for farm- and horse-related items. I have not personally bought a horse from CL but one of my friends has. I have sold and given away items, and I have advertised for barn help.

When coming to purchase an item, I promise to show up and I do. I must sound sincere because I have had people willing to hold items for me until the weekend -- what if I didn't show? But I do, and they seem incredibly grateful!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?