The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I don't own one. But a friend is a PBP rescuer and she told me years ago that they like to pair up with one buddy. So I guess you need 2 pigs.

My horse dentist Jason Cashin had one for 18 yrs. And my BO has one. When we moved there in the summer, Cloudy was fine as he'd been around ferals. Plus he thinks that all animals are cute and sweet. Hattie on the other hand, freaked and ran away and stressed for a few weeks.

Well Pugsly is crazy about Hattie, so he goes out with my 2 horses in the pasture. This morning he was lying in their hay. They have to eat around him. I'm waiting on his Bucas to come since then he'll be wearing a silver rug just like Hattie's rug. I guess Pugsly has paired up with Hattie Pattie.

ETA They get cold and shiver in the cold and rain. So your pig will need a shelter. And there's a website with pot bellied pig clothing.

And 3 hens moved in this summer. Pugsly gets along fine with Lola and Lucy and Laverne.

And years ago, Bennie Gentile who owned the Red Barn restaurant on St Simons Island had a pig, not a pot bellied pig, but a regular sized pig, who rode in the back of a truck to the beach with his employees. Arnold was treated like a dog. When he got full grown, he was put out to pasture with the horses and did not get to ride everywhere with them. At least he wasn't eaten. I used to see him when I went horse back riding on Mr. Gentile's horses on the island.

ETA Pugsly is intact and does not smell bad. He is very fond of the tractor tyres. I hope that means he won't be too friendly to Hattie, as she is Cloudy's mare in all manner of speaking.
    Last edited by cloudyandcallie; Dec. 26, 2011 at 02:13 PM.

Default potbelly pigs

Awwwwwwww, I bought 2 at an auction yrs ago. Named them Tootie and Natalie (was told they were females) then had to change names to Hank and Willie. They ran free on the farm and slept in the stall of one of my stallions. They did hump anything that was not moving, especially Matilda the dog. Poor thing, couldn't hardly lay down without them humping her. They provided lots of entertainment for the camp kids. They ate grain around the farm that the horses dropped. I gave them to a friend of mine yrs ago that kept them until they passed on.

She probably has mange...you treat it with Ivomec

Oh great...now I want a piggy!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Can someone explain HOW you can housetrain them?

I am thinking when our doggies aren't wtih us anymore, we will get a piggy for a housepet!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I have no experience with piggies, but my neighbor/dog groomer has two. Who live in her house. They have dog beds and snuggle with her on the couch. She has a male and a female, who are both fixed. They are adorable, and come over to greet me when I bring my dogs there to be groomed. I believe that she rescued both of them, the male is a couple of years older than the female. The male is much friendlier, he comes and snorts and squeals at me when i walk in the house, and makes happy noises when I scratch his head. She has house trained both of them, and she says that they are easier than dogs. They can be destructive if they get bored. I would like one, but hubby has drawn the line with piggies.
    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

Pigs have a tough time regulating their body temperature, they do not sweat. Hence having a mud wallow, they would prefer a pool of some sort with clean water to help keep them cool. They need to be kept warm in the winter.

They are extremely clean animals, and smarter than dogs. It will be easier to house break a pig than a dog.

I agree with what everyone has said, they can be a PIA, and are LOUD, they can throw a fit like no other, but I love mine, she sleeps in a crate at night and when we are gone. She doesn't root too much although this fall she was helping the dogs dig up moles. They have to be fixed. Mine when into heat at 3 months and I thought we would have to re-home her, it was an awful, she completely lost her mind.

She will bug you until you sit down so she can crawl on your lap, and will take a nap with you in a heart beat, head on the pillow, under the covers. Here are some pics.

http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/...ps59408af5.jpg

http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/...psf70ef39f.jpg

http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/...j/schlafly.jpg

You know, regular pigs can be cute too, it's just that they get so BIG. We've had a couple that will sit for food and roll over to have their tummies scratched, know their names and whatnot. But they get as heavy as a horse and about as big around as a large pony and they are built with huge musculature in the neck and shoulders so they can demolish just about anything they can get their noses under. When they are at 200 or under they are nice, once they hit 400 and on to 1000 the lap time is OVER.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

1 members found this post helpful.

We rescued one from our local SPCA (at their request). He was about a year old when we got him and had to be neutered immediately as he was quite amorous. Mr. Pig is now 16 but still gets around well despite the arthritis (a broken leg from a horse kick. )

He likes to move around to various spots in the barn. In the winter he prefers the hay room and in the summer he likes the concrete aisle. I cover him every night in the winter with his blanket. He does make a mess of my barn and I have never found him to be very neat. He urinates and poops where he pleases.

He eats anything we feed him and pop tarts are his absolute favorite. He snuffles in the horse poop, raids the chicken scratch and loves deli-scraps.

For as much as I like Mr. Pig, I would not do another pig again. He is invariably in the wrong place at the wrong time. Trying to get him to move away from the stall door when he has chosen to lie against it is a nightmare. From the sound of his screams you would think I was trying to slaughter him.

Enjoy if you get one! It has been quite an experience.

I loved my pig. He was left in a dog crate at my barn early one morning - no note - only a sack of hog grower. I had no idea what to with a adolescent pig but I learned quickly! He had his own stall but would graze for part of the day with the horses. He would come in when I told him it was time to "get in his house". He wasn't terribly fond of the dogs and would occasionally snap at them. He did need his teeth attended to regularly and got a rabies vaccine once a year. I trimmed his hooves myself with about the same frequency as the barefoot horses. He was particular about his humans. Some he didn't like at all but if he liked you he'd follow you around, sit in your lap and beg for horse treats. I found him to be a very entertaining guy and still miss him.

I've never owned a pbp...but I've picked up a few as "strays". If you do decide to get one, consider checking your local animal shelter. We've had 5-6 in the last year and all but one have been successfully rehomed. They have all been cute, quirky things that probably grew larger then their owners expected and were dumped.