The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Equine Extravaganza-Virginia - Anyone going in October?

http://www.equineextravaganza.com/

I'll be there all three days. Got lotsa shopping to do!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I might go... haven't been in a few years.

I will say, I don't think I'd come all the way from GA for it, unless it's WAY better than I remember. I mean, I drove from VA to KY for Equitana one year and THAT was worth it, just not sure this will be. I live about an hour away so I may check it out this year... would like to see the new facilities at the Meadow (it was still a farm last time I saw it!)

Just bumping this up... COTHer Zugabe is coming with me too!

If you're going, lemme know... maybe we can do a COTH Lunch-N-Meet
    Last edited by ChocoMare; Oct. 12, 2010 at 02:47 PM.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Default PT me if you come up

and I will try to meet for lunch. Looks like it may be better this year due to the facilities. Too bad they don't have any clinicians I want to see :-(
    Shoulders back, hands down, leg ON!

http://mellvinshouse.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Just bumping this up... COTHer Ivanator is coming with me too!

If you're going, lemme know... maybe we can do a COTH Lunch-N-Meet
    I plan to attend all 3 days but yup I am also disappointed with the clinicians. In the past they have had Lendon Gray, Jane Savoie and Steffen Peters.

This year they have WHO???? Oh yeah, a cowboy cookoff and dog park, WOW

I do like Steuart Pittman though
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I travel cuz, alas, Georgia has nothing like it. It's sumpin fun and different for me to do, plus it's a good excuse to get away with just a good friend for a few days. Oh.... and shopping!

FWIW, I was at Dover in C'ville last weekend and they will not be there.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I went once several years ago. Didn't find it all that interesting so I haven't been back but I can understand if you just want to go do something for a day and have no other options.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Yep! I'm going. I've never been. But I'm flying out from Utah.
    We're gonna have a blast!

It's also at a new venue... so hopefully better parking, etc.

Default I think they took notes at the WEG

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    It's also at a new venue... so hopefully better parking, etc.

It's probably going to be quite a hike
    With the exciting new space, comes a different parking scenario and in an attempt to accommodate the needs of all or our attendees we will be offering the following parking options
    Free Parking: Lot C, (near the equine complex), Enter through Gate 6 and park in lot C.
    Premium Parking: Lot F, (near the Farm Bureau Center Exhibit Hall), $5.00 per car. If you are interested in premium parking, we suggest you purchase premium parking tickets and admission tickets in advance, as the number of premium spaces are limited and ticket in hand line moves much faster. You will enter through Gate 3

here's Friday's schedule
    http://www.equineextravaganza.com/im...y_Schedule.pdf[/FONT]

note some activities are in the equine complex and some in the Farm Bureau center
    And here's a map

http://www.meadoweventpark.com/files/mepgroundsmap1.png

somewhere I think I saw mention of a shuttle
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

I'm going fri, we went to the fair at that venue and while it was more walking, it is a nicer location.

Default horze

Is anyone familiar with the sponsor http://www.horze.com/
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Carolp, thanks for the info!

I plan on going either Sat or Sun. I'd been to it when they had it in Richmond; eh. I'm looking forward to seeing what's left of Meadow Farm. I would think they kept the barn up where Secretariat was foaled, but ??? I can't imagine coming from another state to attend though. I want to ride the mechanical cutting horse!! or, I want to try to ride the mechanical cutting horse!!!

Having been to the State Fair at the new site, yes you'll walk a bit but nothing like at KHP for Rolex or WEG or anything like that. If you chose the free lot you could check out the new stable and the events in the rings and walk over to the Farm Bureau Center in, I'd estimate 10 minutes or so. Maybe less. (I'm guessing since the paid parking is near the Farm Bureau Center that's where the vendors will be -- is that right? I really haven't looked at the details.)

The facility is very roomy for the events it hosts but don't worry that you're going to drop dead walking, even from the far lot. It's not any worse than, say, a major amusement park, and I'd guess they will run the shuttles. (They were running when we went to the Fair but we didn't bother to use them because the walk wasn't prohibitive for us.)

With the Secretariat movie playing now, I'm sure they will still be promoting heavily The Meadow as Secretariat's home farm, as cutemudhorse mentioned.

Hope you have a nice time! I have been in the past and it's a nice expo but I agree I don't think it's quite an Equitana yet. But it does seem to grow every year. There are certainly plenty of vendors so I'm sure you'll have that part covered!

Thought about stopping in as it's in my backyard. Almost literally.

Hey - nothing says "Welcome to the birthplace of Secretariat" like two huge sewage tanks sitting front and center. Or all the horrid street lights (so much for the pretty mock-up the SFOV presented to the Board of Supervisors when seeking approval).

Oh - sorry - still pissed as hell about it becoming "The Meadow Event Park" and how its been totally bastardized.

All I hear is "they paved paradise and put up a parking lot".

Time to write another letter to Curry Roberts about how tacky the fair was and that they handled the traffic issues so poorly.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

I'm probably going either Friday or Sunday(have to work Saturday)I'd be up for meeting for lunch.

Default Horze

They are a company from Finland. Think H & M for horse people. I saw them in Lexington at the International horse festival thing...NOT impressed.
    Shoulders back, hands down, leg ON!

http://mellvinshouse.blogspot.com/

I'll be there! I'm riding my green bean OTTB in Friday afternoon and Saturday morning clinics with Steuart Pittman. I haven't ridden in a clinic in years, so I'm really excited. I've heard good things about Steuart.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the venue. The raceway just didn't have enough good riding areas. At the Meadows they built I think it's 4 new rings and a beautiful new barn. Plenty of space. While it is pretty neat to be able to walk around and see Big Red's barns, it's Sad how so much is built so close to it though.

I am hoping to go one of the days. It isn't this weekend right? This weekend I am working and have my graduation party on Sunday.

OK Saw the date..I am NOT planning on working that weekend. It is the week before I go to Hawaii for work though...
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage