The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help weeding out the weirdos

We have a really nice AQHA gelding who is just sitting on our farm. I cannot find the time to ride him regularly myself and need him started under saddle and ridden often. I placed an ad on craigslist offering free board in exchange for a certain amount of training rides each month.

I didn't really think it through and now wonder how am I going to weed out the weirdos? What questions do I ask? Should I have the person come and ride at the farm first so that I can observe them? I may have opened a can of crazy horse person worms but I really need some qualified help here on the farm.

I have had my fill of crazy horse people and they scare me.
    Last edited by Weighaton; Jul. 26, 2010 at 12:49 AM. Reason: **

I would start by talking to the person over the phone. Ask about their past experience, ask about how much time they can commit to riding your horse and see if it fits what you are looking for. A lot of times you just get a "vibe" from someone from the initial conversation. If you are not comfortable with them over the phone, end the contact there.

If everything seems okay, I would then invite them out to the farm, give them a tour, and have them ride your horse. Get references from them from other horse people. Use your judgment as to if you think this is someone you could work with long term. If it seems like a good fit, give them a trial period to see if it is going to work out permanently.

Good luck!

You get what you pay for, and in this case you are asking for training in trade for basically a small amount of "pay". I suspect you won't get much of a response of truly knowledgeable capable trainers for this. You are far better off to bite the bullet and pay to send him off for 30 - 60 days at a reputable trainer. otherwise there is no telling how your horse will end up

shawneeAcres gave you excellent advice. I'd also like to add that if you do find someone to come and ride your horse, make certain they carry insurance(ALL trainers should be carrying insurance) and you need to carry equine liability insurance as well. If by chance your horse dumps the new trainer and they get hurt and have any medical bills relating to the accident, you can bet the trainer's health insurance company will sue you to collect the amount paid out in the bills.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by shawneeAcres View Post
    You get what you pay for, and in this case you are asking for training in trade for basically a small amount of "pay". I suspect you won't get much of a response of truly knowledgeable capable trainers for this. You are far better off to bite the bullet and pay to send him off for 30 - 60 days at a reputable trainer. otherwise there is no telling how your horse will end up
    This ^^^
    Concordia means "Harmony" in Latin.
    Full Time Dressage Addict

Yes.

I am afraid that sort of situation posted on weirdo central, I mean Craiglist, is weirdo bait...

If the horse needs to be started under saddle, engage a known trainer to put a good start on him for 90 days, then post an ad for a part leaser or something, once he's reasonably reliable and safe.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Sadly I agree that the response you get from CL is probably going to be all weirdos, so very little weeding involved.

Do you know any trainers in the area at all? If it were me, I would call the trainers I know personally and respect (or the trainers my friends know and have worked with). Send the horse for thirty days. Who knows, maybe they have a horse that needs a lay up or rehab and could send them to your place and knock some money off that way.

But I don't think CL is going to net you anyone you'd want working with your horse. Unfortunately.

OP.. were you drunk posting when you posted that ad? seriously?? cause the only thing that responds to ads like that are weirdos. and basically I tend to think anyone posting that sort of ad is a weirdo too when I see it... someone too cheap to spend the money on getting real training for their horse.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Yes.

Well, I think it's unanimous, then - another vote for Shawnee Acres!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Thanks for all of the responses. I am not as against CL as some of you are. And I guess the use of the word weirdo was a bit strong on my part. CL is a way to reach people that I would not otherwise ever meet. Good and bad.

I am basically offering full board of roughly $300 per month in exchange for 10-12 training rides per month which is fair. It could be a good setup for someone who does not have the time for daily horsecare but has the time to ride.

Everyone looks on CL even experienced horsepeople. And although Catersun thinks my ad screams weirdo and cheapskate not everyone thinks that way.

I don't want to send the gelding away but I might consider doing 30-60 days but that still does not resolve the issue of him being ridden regularly when he comes home. If I offered a free on farm lease I would still be trying to find the right questions to ask the person.

ITs a bit defferent trying to find "someone to ride" a horse that has a good start in its training, from someone to START a young, unstarted horse. So much can go wrong in starting a horse if someone THINKS they are a trainer when in fact they are a "wannabe"! THis happened recently when someone I know sold a young horse that was lightly started under saddle to a "so called" trainer. She has now scared the poor young horse by doing a few VERY STUPID THINGS and got dumped in the process. This young horse was a bit of a nervous horse to begin with and needed a person who knew what they were doing. Her first rides were by such a person and she was overcoming her nervousness but then this "trainer" decided to get on her by climbing up on the panel of a round pen and trying to jump over onto her back!!!! The poor filly didn't know WHAT to do and took off. Things like this can ruin a nice young horse VERY quickly, and people wonder where bolters come from!

Shawnee - I can see the potential for problems but if I do my homework I could end up with someone who could work out well. We have a nice but modest private farm that a good rider would appreciate.

I am asking for references and checking them. I am not ruling out any options at this point. I am going to let the ad run and see who responds. The good thing is that I am not obligated to anyone.

You can get some spunky teenagers to get some miles on a greenbroke horse, with little damage. But there's no way you'll get someone qualified to start your horse from that ad.

I would suggest you send your horse off for a few months of training, then bring him back to your farm and try to get exchange rides then.

You might be surprised...

Do you have a college near you?

I ask because many good riders are forced to give up their horse when they go to school and would be thrilled to have the opportunity to ride for nothing. They are usually cash-strapped, but can do a good job. Many are coming right out of the junior ranks and are quite talented.

Just a thought...

I have had a few responses and they are both promising. Nothing weird at all - yet. We are in a college town so maybe that will pan out.

Catersun - I had to laugh at your post. Having a houseful of young children, when I read your post my mind instantly thought - "MOOOMMMMMMM, CATERSUN CALLED ME A DRUNKEN, WEIRDO CHEEEEAPPPPSKATE!!!"

I don't want to be a weirdo or cheapskate but I could go for drunk right about now.

Good luck! I have found that most trainers, paid cash or in-kind, tend to be unreliable. Just thinking that you will get 10 - 12 rides a month on an unstarted horse in an in-kind exchange is a fantasy. Besides, starting a horse is really a two person job for safety's sake. I'm pretty dang old and I've learned to start mine myself with IF Jr. helping. Basically the reason I do it myself is that it's more efficient that trying to hire someone. I've heard more promises and excuses than you can imagine, including:

It's too hot
    It's too cold
    It's too wet
    It's too dry
    I decided to take day off
    I have a hangover
    My car broke down
    I had to go to court
    I need to see my lawyer today
    I need to see my probation offier
    I had a fight with my parents/boyfriend/friend/whatever
    My dog got into a fight,
    My pants got ripped
    I having my period
    and on and on and on

I'm sure other Cothers have more excuses. This is why I have learned to find the time to do it myself.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Weighaton View Post
    I have had a few responses and they are both promising. Nothing weird at all - yet. We are in a college town so maybe that will pan out.

Catersun - I had to laugh at your post. Having a houseful of young children, when I read your post my mind instantly thought - "MOOOMMMMMMM, CATERSUN CALLED ME A DRUNKEN, WEIRDO CHEEEEAPPPPSKATE!!!"

I don't want to be a weirdo or cheapskate but I could go for drunk right about now.
    Weighaton- I wasn't trying to be a bitch.. really, I wasn't. lol.. I just cracked up laughing when I read someone was trying to find a rider on craigslist. I am an avid reader of craigslist and in my experience I haven't met the most .. hmm.. how do I say this nicely.... "polished" folks on craigslist. I've seen LOTS of "I want free training for me and my horse" ads, and I cringe knowing what kind of "trainers" we have around here that might reply.

and with all the CL ads people post on here to laugh at I never expected a Cother to be someone who would post an add adn then claim it on coth lol

PS, I have a pile of kids here and too little grown up conversation lately... add that to the pregnancy hormones and I'm just a grump. I agree that drunk sounds good right now. lol

on a serious note though, what happens if the person is boarding with you for training rides, and you get stuck with their horse and they aren't holding up their end of the bargain, or what happens if in 30 days or so they become a total PITA and start banging on your horse?

It sounds really nice in theory, I just think in practice there are wayyyyy too many things that could go horribly wrong.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

If I ended up with someone completely unreliable ( I am really flexible) how would I get rid of them?

As a side note - maybe I am around children too much and I am getting unsmart? I sure feel that way sometimes. Maybe I SHOULD start drinking heavily.