The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Problems with Thinline sheepskin pads?

Wondering if anybody else has had any problems with the Sheepskin Comfort Half Pad? I have had two rip after being used less than a year. By rip, I mean the sheepskin has completely torn through and separated from the rest of the pad.

I don't abuse these pads - they are *always* over a baby pad, never directly against my horse's back. I always lay them on top of my saddle, upside down, so the sheepskin can dry between wearings.

I had one from them that tore after about 9 months - I tried to fluff the sheepskin by brushing it with one of those stiff wire brushes, and the next thing I knew, I had quarter size holes on all four corners of the pad. I had only washed that one once - with Melp, on the gentle cycle, and air dried it. I was able to exchange it with Thinline, and in less than a year, the replacement pad has done exactly the same thing.

I was afraid to wash the replacement pad, but I finally had to wash it last night - same thing, cold, hand wash cycle, Melp - the sheepskin peeled back from the rest of the pad entirely. Now Thinline is trying to say I'm doing something wrong with the pad, that somehow my saddle is causing this problem??!!

How can this be? I'm to the point that I'm afraid to buy another one of these pads, even though I love it, because they're too ^&*^(*^(% expensive to keep replacing every year.

Anybody have any recommendations? I'm at the end of my rope!!!

I've had the same problem. My first one ripped in just under a year, even though I followed ALL of the rules. I'd washed it only twice. They sent me a new one but I'm only using it for shows, since i was sort of able to repair the other one... I didn't know this wasn't isolated

Wow, me too. DD's is about 2 1/2 yrs old and I was just chalking it up to age. But it has come apart in three or four places on the back and has a BIG hole in the sheepskin right over the withers. Same thing, I always wash on cold on delicate cycle in a front-load washer with melp and air dry. Hers is still usable since you cant see where it has come apart once it is on the pony, but i really don't know how much longer it is going to last.

Sorta glad to know its not just ours....

Mine hasn't done anything. I guess I'll check it out today closely.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Default My experience

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Mom View Post
    Mine hasn't done anything. I guess I'll check it out today closely.
    I've found that as long as I don't touch it at all, don't try to brush it, wash it, anything that would stress it, you won't see the holes. But the minute you pull on that sheepskin in any way, or get it wet, it disintegrates. I don't know what more to do - I can't keep buying $200 pads.

Anybody know any other alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by mbmarsh View Post
    I've found that as long as I don't touch it at all, don't try to brush it, wash it, anything that would stress it, you won't see the holes. But the minute you pull on that sheepskin in any way, or get it wet, it disintegrates. I don't know what more to do - I can't keep buying $200 pads.

Anybody know any other alternatives?
    Buy a Mattes sheepskin pad instead. Mine is several years old and is still like new. Since all of you are having similar problems, it appears to be a quality control issue. There is someone from Thinline that posts on this board, I'm sure she will respond soon (I don't remember her name).

Do you find you get the same benefit from just the sheepskin as with the Thinline? Would it even make sense to try and "stack" a sheepskin and a regular Thinline pad on top? Or is that just a "princess and the pea" scenario?

I really like the combo pad, but I can't keep replacing them at this pace.....

I don't find I get much benefit from Thinline in general, so I seldom use mine. And I have loaned it to many people, most are unimpressed with it although I do have one friend who feels it helps her own back issues.

Default get a mattes

I have had mine for about 8 months and it looks like new. I do not use a baby pad and I have machine washed the pad a half a dozen times with melp. No sign of wear at all, never needed to brush it, I just take it out of the wash and fluff it up with my fingers and hang it on the line. Love it!!

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I don't find I get much benefit from Thinline in general, so I seldom use mine. And I have loaned it to many people, most are unimpressed with it although I do have one friend who feels it helps her own back issues.
    I received my very first thinline contour pad in the mail yesterday. I have back problems that has not been a problem as of late, I rode in this pad, got off my horse and could barely walk. How about that? I am sure it is just me but I blamed the pad

I agree with those who recommend Mattes. Thus far, I have not used a pad that has the same quality & hold up as Mattes does.

check out equinity performance pads. www.equinityperformance.com. They carry a quad pocket sheepskin pad with shims and a standard sheepskin half pad. great quality sheepskin that holds up year after year and many washes. I have (2) 1 that gets ridden in daily and washed probably every few weeks - I have had this one for going on 3 years. The other is just for shows, but gets washed after each show.
    \"A smart lady knows its ok to change her mind, a damn fool never does\"

I've been horribly abusing two mattes correction pads for about 5 years now and they just keep on ticking. I even toss them in the dryer for 5 minutes after I wash them to fluff them up.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Im working on 8 years with my origional MATTES pad. It is a bit stained, but other than that, like new!
    ---^v---^v---^v----------------------^v---^v---^v---
    For a moment there, you bored me to death

I like to use the Dover sheepskin half pad with a regular Ultra-thinline pad. I have had my dover pad for 2+ years now and it gets LOTS of abuse (sometimes used on 3-5 horses per day). Everytime I wash it and brush it it looks nearly new again. A few stray fluffs will brush out of it, but there are no holes or thin spots- its still very thick and fluffy. I think for the price and quality you can't beat the dover sheepskin pad, although the Mattes pads are absolutely fabulous too (just a bit more expensive).

Quote Originally Posted by hntrjmprpro45 View Post
    ...although the Mattes pads are absolutely fabulous too (just a bit more expensive).
    Yeah, they are $$, but the open gullet channel and the correction pad shims are worth their weight in gold! To me at least
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.