The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dr. William Wright, R.I.P.

Although this occurred on July 10 and may be knowledge to many already, I believe it is worth noting.

Dr. Wright was the husband of Lana DuPont Wright, who is a former USET eventing rider (the first woman to ride in the three day event at the Olympic level on Mr. Wister, Japan, 1964 I think). Mrs. Wright is still very involved in the Fair Hill International three day event, and Unicorn Farm still hosts the St. Augustine Pony Club horse trials each fall and spring among other activities. Dr. Wright also was the father of Beale Wright Morris, an advanced level eventer.

I am sure this is very sad for the family. The eventing community I am sure sends their condolences.

http://www.st-publishing.com/cms2/in...news&Itemid=78

It is so nice that remembrances are to go to an equestrian charity, too. My condolences and many jingles to the Wright family!
    He keeps throwing me back. http://horsejunkiesunited.com/?p=63881

Sad to lose people like that. I still have the Practical Horseman with Beale on the cover, very sad loss that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    Although this occurred on July 10 and may be knowledge to many already, I believe it is worth noting.

Dr. Wright was the husband of Lana DuPont Wright, who is a former USET eventing rider (the first woman to ride in the three day event at the Olympic level on Mr. Wister, Japan, 1964 I think). Mrs. Wright is still very involved in the Fair Hill International three day event, and Unicorn Farm still hosts the St. Augustine Pony Club horse trials each fall and spring among other activities. Dr. Wright also was the father of Beale Wright Morris, an advanced level eventer.

I am sure this is very sad for the family. The eventing community I am sure sends their condolences.

http://www.st-publishing.com/cms2/in...news&Itemid=78

It is so nice that remembrances are to go to an equestrian charity, too. My condolences and many jingles to the Wright family!
    Condolences to the Wright family.

Re-tread you are correct about Lana DuPont Wright. I have not had the opportunity to meet this family, but have heard nothing but wonderful things from those who have.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I had the great pleasure of working for Dr. Wright in the early 80's galloping his racehorses, under the Labadie Mill colors.

He never raced his two year olds, and they went on hours-long hacks, barefoot. He was astute and kind to his horses and his people, may he rest in peace.

Nancy

Was friends with their other daughter Lucy in highschool, nice family. My condolences as well.

Blazing were you at OS when I was??

I knew Beale, her cousin Lairsey and Lucy at School. The whole family are amazing people and I had the great fortune to be able to come up to Unicorn for 2 different weekends during my time in school. Additionally I was blessed again as I lived in Chesapeake City for 4 months and we schooled at Unicorn a lot and I was able to see Lana and Lairsey a bunch.

Of course I saw Beale out competing a ton, but I am most grateful that she took my horse when I got mono during the fall of my senior year. After she'd had him, we were able to compete in the fall interschool eventing competition and be the JV champs.

I hope Dr. Wright will finally get to see his daughter again.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries