The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default saddle shopping -- selling/buying brown saddle

I'm looking for a used saddle in a particular make/model/seat for my young horse (currently riding in a borrowed saddle of this type).

I can find only one, on Ebay, that is brown. My horse would look fine in brown, but...

-- What is the resale value on a brown saddle?
    -- I worry about finding stirrups, girths, bridles, etc in an economical price range. For example, I take a very long stirrup leather and prefer the 1/2" holes.

Brown saddle owners, help me out here!

Brown saddles still usually sell a bit cheaper than black saddles of the same make/model/size, which is a huge plus for many people because one can afford "more" for less. Ebay is a pretty good barometer for current pricing/value, not always but generally. So, if you feel the price is fair, then its likely thats what its resale value will be in the nature of +/- 20%. Some sellers on ebay are completely out to lunch.

I haven't had a problem at all matching girths, leathers and bridles. It depends on how economical you mean. I think wintec makes a brown fleece girth thats inexpensive and people like.

The only real difficulty you'll run into is leathers, but they're out there, and you can always oil to get a better match. I have bobby's buffalo with half holes, beval and toulouse calfskin with 3/4" holes.

I personally have a strong preference for brown tack, I love leather with character.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

I had a brown Albion Original Comfort dressage saddle. I bought it for $750 from my barn owner and later sold it on eBay for around $900.

I used it with an inexpensive brown Wintec dressage girth. Bit of Britain has a good selection of brown dressage girths too.

http://www.carouselhorsetack.com/win...mpaign=Froogle

My stirrup leathers were 64" Courbette in brown, but did not have 1/2" holes.

http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2...Category_Code=

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Gary Mundy might be able to make you brown stirrup leathers with half holes. He made me my brown leathers for my very dark brown Prestige Top. I did holes every 3/4", IIRC.

I've not yet found a brown washable fleece dressage girth, but finding a brown leather one is not that hard.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Which brand are you looking at, if you don't mind me asking?
    For many European brands, older models came in brown, but newer ones are in black.

Never had a problem finding brown fittings to match.

Love brown dressage tack. It's becoming fashionable again, so it's selling somewhat better.

I had heard brown was the new black, but I've had one for sale for a bit, and the tack store owners have said it's slower because it's brown. FWIW.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

I have a brown dressage saddle and tend to be drawn to them... You will have no problem finding fittings. Most companies will offer the longer brown leathers. Just ask a tack store to order them for you if they don't have them in stock. With monoflap jumping saddles being so popular these days, finding a short brown girth is easier and easier. A few that come to mind: Nunn Finer makes a girth under $100. Prestige has both a straight and anatomic girth for under $200. Courbette does make the half hole leathers in the longer length (I think!) you may just have to ask for them. Prestige makes long brown leathers too.

Resale: Difficult. While brown may be the new black, like any fad, it is easier to sell the tried and true traditional. Brown dressage saddles tend to sit for a while for sale until just the right person comes along who has a horse that it will fit AND likes brown!

I'm trialing a used brown County saddle for use on a 4 YO who is being ridden in an identical saddle with success (trainer's saddle). Eventually I'd like to buy a new version of this saddle but not for another few years. I have always wanted a brown dressage saddles and like the rich brown in the pics I've seen of the saddle. On the down side it won't look good on every horse and I have a bunch of black bling browbands that will be rendered useless.

In the end, it just needs to fit.

Default Brown Dressage saddle

I have a brown Neidersuisse ok got it used and a great deal 'cause brown is not in!

Just cant ride in black tack!!

I have a brown Wintec girth, but I'm not going to be buying anything Wintec anymore.

As for leathers, I just use my black leathers. They look better with black boots, and since my saddle doesn't have keepers, it doesn't matter that they don't match the saddle.

Hey I'm in the PNW and I just bought a brown KN Symphonie too! Cheap- $400!!! So excited

I really like these anatomical girths, and they are available in brown, inexpensive, all different sizes too: http://cgi.ebay.com/Delfina-Anatomic...c#ht_759wt_691