The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Uncle Jimmy's Treat/Toy balls - attract insects?

The toy thread got me thinking about this one. I've considered hanging one in my mare's pen to give her something fun to do while not in work or turnout, but I'm curious if the balls attract ants, flies, bees or any other creepy-crawlies? Does anybody have any experience with that? We have some pretty gnarly pests in Arizona, so the last thing my mare needs is for them to be attracted to her stall!

ground squirrels love them!

Yes, flies and ants love them. I was keeping a horse temporarily for a friend after he had tie back surgery and she put hanging balls and likits in his stall to amuse him. They were okay for a day or 2, then they were discovered by the flies and ants.
    Much to the owners chagrin, I disposed of the treats. I moved her horse to the other end of the barn, and fumigated the stall.

I will not allow those things in my barn. Last thing a horse on stall rest needs is a sugar buzz anyway.
    Better off with a nibbble net of hay and a jolly ball or some milk jugs to knock around.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Mine ate his too fast for me to ever find out.

Thanks for the info! The BO is constantly working to keep the facility pest-free, so I will absolutely not get it for my mare. She does have a Jolly Ball, and gets out daily. I just thought it might be fun for her to have something else to do in her pen, because she's really not that into the Jolly ball.

Thanks!

Not only will it attract bugs and other creepy crawlies, but your horse will get it schmeared all over his face, forelock, etc. They LOVE them but you will constantly be washing stickies off your pony.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

I haven't had much of an issue with flies being attracted to them, but sometimes in the late summer, they will attract yellow jackets. So I take them down then. I have not had ants or crawling insects on them, but I suppose it could happen.