The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default For those with easy keepers..what do you use for energy

I've had blood work drawn...horse is normal.

My mare is just simply an easy keeper....She gets Pennfield Cool and Lite (the bare minimum of 3 pounds per day)...she's on good grass, good hay. Also gets Flax, copper/zinc (we're on red clay)

Problem is...because I have to limit her caloric intake she can be a bit sluggish.

Not having an anemic horse, I don't feel compelled to run out and buy Lixotinic or Red Cell.

Is there anything that you can use for an easy keeper for energy?

I talked to the tackshop owner...he recommended Finish Line
    U7..but she doesn't have uclers
    I've looked at their Fire product..it sounds good, but not sure if that's what I should use.
    Suggestions?

When Spy got sluggish, it turned out he needed more electorlytes.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    When Spy got sluggish, it turned out he needed more electorlytes.
    Ah, okay.....I just started her on "An Apple A Day"...will see how that plays out.

A tap with the whip

Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by rizzodm View Post
    A tap with the whip

Dawn
    Wow..hadn't thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by rizzodm View Post
    A tap with the whip

Dawn
    Was going to say the same thing........if the horse is well fed and an easy keeper...its probably more of a fitness issue and or and obidence issue. Breed type will also play a part.

Dalemma

If you need energy, just add oats, or oats and crimped barley.
    If everything else about your program and feed is "complete" and working for you, don't add more vits/mins by adding another bagged feed.

Plain oats will do the trick. Worked for hundreds of years.
    You're entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts!

if they are in good weight, they have enough calories. If they are fat, that in and of itself can sap energy.

I've dealt with this with Rio all his life. It really is about making sure there are no physical reasons - bloodwork (already done), saddle, hocks, feet, etc, and then finding what motivates them to actually *move*.

It may be something as "simple" as starting the process with a good gallop. It may be as (mentally) difficult as REALLY hauling off with the whip to really make them understand "yes, I DO mean it."

No, you can't just add enough oats to provide more energy to an easy keeper.

You have my permission to talk to ET about this in relation to Rio, as she's seen what it sometimes takes to get him going.

One thing to consider is that often EPSM horses lack energy as they simply cannot process the startches into energy and need the fat for energy. Many EPSM horses will look undeveloped muscle wise, but I have seen some that were "easy keepers" So this may be something you want to explore as a possibility

It is not a fitness issue....the horse is in a constant work program. It is not simply a "touch of the whip" issue. If it was, we would have sorted it out.

I'll try the Ultra Fire if the electrolytes don't work. Not looking to add oats and more grain. I don't treat princess like a princess...she's been wallped with the whip on more than one occassion.

Could you get an all around vitamin supplement?

http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc....aspx?CATID=13
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Have you looked at the Smart Energy from Smartpak? Ultra Fire contains iron, and if she isn't low I'd be hesitant to supplement that. The Smart Energy contains no iron.

Is there anything that you can use for an easy keeper for energy?
    Longer spurs, and a reminder that "leg means GO . . . or else".

IME "low energy" is a schooling/obedience/training issue 95% of the time.
    Click here before you buy.

Some horses simply don't have the temperament or metabolism to be "up" for very long, no matter how fat or fit they are.

Consider a higher octane horse.

I have a paint mare that I used to to feed Triple Crownd Low Starch. She did not need it but I wanted her to get the vitamins. I have since switched her to Pennfields All Phase which is a vitamin supplement for horses that dont need grain. I give her 1 quart of all phase and 1 quart of los starch 2xs a day. She can still be lazy but some horses are just this way. I have a good story to tell but it would take forever, the out come was that it was just the horses tempermant. This lady spent tons on money on blood work and all sorts of supplements some which made the horse sick. Always consult your vet first.

Trade her in for an OTTB...you'll have plenty of go <chuckle, chuckle>. Seriously though, what breed is she?

Could you trade in the 3lbs of feed for a measuring cup of beet pulp or soaked alfalfa pellets with your multivitamin? That would cut some calories w/o sacrificing nutrition.

I most certainly would not be whipping a horse that doesn't have energy to go. Good lord. Dalpal is doing the right thing by trying to modify and fix the diet first. I've had health issues that made me tired and sluggish and I know what it feels like to just.not.have.the.energy.to.go.one.more.step. Hardly seems fair to get whipped for that. Horses cannot communicate in words what is bothering them. I'm the first to crack a horse a good one for obvious disobedient behavior but this certainly doesn't sound like an applicable case to me.

I also would suggest an all-round vitamin/mineral supplement like SmartVite, Accel, or Equi-VM or something comparable.

I guess it would be telling to know how the horse's behavior is at liberty, and whether or not the phlegmatic attitude was new or an "always" thing.

I've had health issues that made me tired and sluggish and I know what it feels like to just.not.have.the.energy.to.go.one.more.step.
    That's certainly not the impression the OP gives about her healthy-sounding horse.
    Click here before you buy.

I have a huge easy keeper on free choice hay and grass, and he gets three pounds of Pennfield's All Phase for vitamins and minerals. As long as he's in work, he keeps the hay and grass calories sufficiently burned off (e.g. doesn't get fat). In turnout, he frequently watches his pasturemate buzz around with a bemused "why on earth are you exercising of your own free will?" look on his face, but under saddle he has plenty of good, focused energy. I think Deltawave's questions of history and at-liberty behavior are good ones.