The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Helmet Help please!

Seriously no helmets fit me! I'm trying to replace my troxel schooling helmet (Orion) which fits me good, but can not find a show helmet that actually fits! GPAs are a no go, really the shape doesn't fit at all.

So next is the Charles Owen, GR8 shape just doesn't sit right. The Wellington Pro seems to be a better fit, but the 6 7/8 is too loose the 6 3/4 is way to tight. So now i m fraustrated! Should I go very snug with the 6 3/4 or add in extra padding to the 6 7/8. Do the COs really stretch??

OR go back to square one and try a different brand.

Any thoughts???? Would like a nice helmet to show dressage in, but a this point I'm really better off with the troxel schooling.

Buy a velvet helmet cover!
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

I ADORE the IRH's....and they make an affordable velvet one! Troxels fit me ok.....but gave me headaches long term.

What about a Troxel Grand Prix? Very nice, classic look.

IME, the COs stretch. I have a J3 skull cap (which is pretty much the exact same thing as the Wellington Pro, just a skull cap) in a 59 (7 1/4) which fit well when I got it, but is now a bit looser than I'd like. I just got the Wellington Pro yesterday in a 58 and while it feels fairly snug, I expect it to stretch out. I tried on someone else's Wellington Pro in the 59 that was worn in and it was too loose.

There is a helpful video about helmet fitting on SmartPak with a CO rep you may want to check out.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

I can't wear the Troxel's at all.
    My head shape is long from front to back but not wide across, so anything that fits well across my head leaves me with a lovely forehead groove and sometimes headache for hours.
    Unfortunately my head is narrow enough in comparison to its length that I would require rather a lot of extra padding to make that work.
    What I do is buy the larger size and flip my ponytail up so that the hair makes the length fit comfortably, and the air on the sides provides nice ventilation
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.

Thanks for the feed back everyone!

The velvet cover on the troxel looks awful.

Good idea to try some of the Troxel show helmets, but I was really hoping to get a higher end one...

Got the CO Wellington pro on right now in the 6 3/4 and it's give me a headache. When I take it off after 15 minutes it give me a huge mark. But the 6 7/8 would just be too big if it stretches........

how much do they stretch? Like have you had a super snug uncomfy one that loosned enough to be comfy?

My old CO compressed almost a whole size.

You might also try an IRH. They have the long oval shape, and it fits similarly to the CO. The ATH SSV is also pretty cool.

Try the IRH in long oval. No more helmet headaches for me or ugly red helmet kisses. Good luck!

My CO stretched a little over the past 3 years. I would guess it stretched 1/2 of a size. I would buy a helmet that is comfortable and then add extra padding if it stretches.

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    My old CO compressed almost a whole size.

You might also try an IRH. They have the long oval shape, and it fits similarly to the CO. The ATH SSV is also pretty cool.
    Compressed meaning shrunk a whole size?

Quote Originally Posted by AKB View Post
    My CO stretched a little over the past 3 years. I would guess it stretched 1/2 of a size. I would buy a helmet that is comfortable and then add extra padding if it stretches.
    Half a size would be perfect since I measure a 55 1/2 and the 56 is too big and the 55 is too small! so if the 55 went up a size pefect, but you are right it's going to be SUPER uncomfortable for a few weeks. Could do the 56 w/ padding, but I would need the padding now and then if it stretches more....would need more!

Nobody is really noticing if your show helmet is Troxel or something else, imo.

I have the same issue that a lot of helmets just don't fit well and aren't comfortable, and I have a Troxel Grand Prix for showing because it fits well and is comfy.

While trying to find something nice that fit me, I tried adding a velvet cover to my Troxel schooling helmet and honestly, I agree that it looks pretty bad. Didn't think any Troxel would be nice enough for showing. But the Grand Prix is very classic and lovely looking. I'd think that if I was riding horribly, or my mare was lame, people would definitely notice that. But if I'm neat and tidy and my helmet happens to be a *well fitting* Troxel? Nah, nobody cares.

eta - in my profile pic, I'm at a schooling show in my Troxel Grand Prix. I don't think it looks bad at all, and have also showed in it at a recognized show with my mare braided, my show coat, etc. and never gave it a second thought! Doubt the judge did, either. I really can't stand helmet headache, so I love my comfortable Troxel!

I have the CO GR8. I wore it when I was younger and it still fits (actually its looser than when I bought it). Before it didn't matter how I wore my hair, but then it became too tight (my head grew), but now I have to wear my hair up or it is too big. Long story short, they do compress quite a bit

Go ahead and show in your regular Troxel. I did this spring and won both my classes. As long as it is clean and a conservative color, you should be fine.
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

I got a nice new IRH w/lavender strip and I usually take a 6 7/8 and keep my hair short. This new style I fit a 6 5/8. You might try that as it is bigger than a 6 3/4. I have seen a few at the shows with black on black and grey on black stripe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post

For the long oval head, this helmet is hard to beat. Everything left marks on my long skinny head until I got this helmet. It is so comfortable and fits like a glove. But it's not extremely well ventilated so I only use it for show. I have also been bopping around trying to find a decent schooling helmet that fit. Just purchased a Tipperary sportage and had my first ride in it yesterday. Almost as great as the ATH SSV so they must be a similar shape (plus they had a couple different pad inserts & I used the small one). It was so light I could barely even tell I was wearing a helmet.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it"

If you like the GR8, try the IRH XR9. I tried one on, and it was the completely wrong shape for my head, whereas the GR8 was about perfect.

I *have* found that the lining of the GR8 has compressed - when I initially got it, it felt too snug, and I thought that perhaps I should have purchased a 58 instead of a 57 (it was nowhere near headache-inducing or leaving red marks, however). It now fits perfectly.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I have the Troxel Grand Prix for showing and it is very comfortable and looks very nice.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

All you Charels Owen helmet wearers, looking back would you have bought the next size down?? Did yours expand so much that you know need one size smaller?

Trying to decided whether to go with the super tight uncomfortable size 55 or go for a 56 that is already too loose??

And if yours did expand significantly how long did it take? days, months, years??

Thanks all! i really want to stick with a CO.