The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default string girths

DD's pony is having armpit girth problems. It's been suggested that I start using the 2nd and 3rd billets to push the girth back a little which I will do. I am also thinking about trying a string (cord) girth since they are relatively cheap. I am quite sure none of my local tack stores carry them so I will have to order one. Pony usually goes in a 48" double elastic leather girth that we start on the 2nd from the bottom holes and then end up at the 4th from the bottom when we tighten. Do I order a 48" string girth? The lack of elastic has me a little confused and I would prefer to order the correct size the first time! Thanks.

The 48" should be fine (if you've tried the 48" leather girth on the second and third billets already and it fits). The length should be the same as the full leather girth with elastic, and string girths have a little bit of give to them, though obviously not nearly as much as elastic. Try to find a mohair girth instead of a nylon one, they breathe better and are a little more stretchy. I like to use my elastic and leather girth for lessons when my horse is working harder because I figure it's more comfortable, but he likes the string girth when we're just schooling in hot weather, or trail riding/hacking. He wears the same size in the leather and the string.

String girths are great! And they pretty much run true to size. They do have some give, as the previous poster noted. Not quite as much as elastic, but some. I have one for my mare and it does nicely.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Super! Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by skyy View Post
    DD's pony is having armpit girth problems. It's been suggested that I start using the 2nd and 3rd billets to push the girth back a little which I will do. I am also thinking about trying a string (cord) girth since they are relatively cheap. I am quite sure none of my local tack stores carry them so I will have to order one. Pony usually goes in a 48" double elastic leather girth that we start on the 2nd from the bottom holes and then end up at the 4th from the bottom when we tighten. Do I order a 48" string girth? The lack of elastic has me a little confused and I would prefer to order the correct size the first time! Thanks.
    ok tip for you, string girths are ok they still around but went out with the old but when tacking up with any girth lift your horses front legs up one at a time and so that the skin isnt trapped
    tip two - when using an elasticated girth and here lays your problem with said neddy as its a common mistake - people tend to do the girth up far to tight as elastic gives----- think of a rubbe rband round you wrist then stretch it hurts dont it when it comes back down on your skin - and if you wear tight you flesh bulges over the top

so this why your neddy has problems - always use 1 and 3 grith straps as this balances your saddle out evenly

3rd tip rather than string or elastic and better for the pony find a cottage craft girth as in a padded one

4th tip rest your pony till his sides have healed competely before you ride him again give him time to heal if bad can take upto 2weeks as its not fun for him to be expected to work when he has a problem

I'm a big fan of the string girths too! I have some artificial (nylon? but soft, not hard) and one wool. They do stretch (like jeans - right after you wash them they are tight, but then as you wear them, especially if you sweat, they stretch out a bit), so be sure to check your girth as you go along until you get the feel for it.

I also found with string girths I don't need to tighten as much as I felt I did with synthetic girths or even leather girths. Even with my round-bodied Morgan mare who used to have some problems with the wide wintec saddle slipping a bit, with the string girth it never did, and yet I didn't have to pull it super tight either, so we were both happier.

Default To goeslikestink

hi-
    I actually expanded upon the problem in Horse Care and gave details. We always pull her legs out after tightening the girth so the skin lays flat. It's not the skin under the girth it is the skin on her elbow that is rubbed. I've been doing horses for a long time and I'm quite confident that the girth is neither too tight nor too loose. In addition, when we first noticed the problem, I had my trainer check the girth just to make sure it was okay. To place the saddle correctly, the girth is just too close to her elbow for comfort. The wider the girth, the worse it is even if the girth is fuzzy. The girth she currently schools in is in fact a Cottage Craft girth. I had to look long and hard to find one. It helps but does not eliminate the problem. Pony will be off of work until the sores heal completely. Luckily, DD is off to sleep away camp today for a week so the pony was going to have a rest anyway. I do appreciate your advice and really wish I could have gone "Ah, there's the solution!" after reading your post.

Quote Originally Posted by skyy View Post
    hi-
    I actually expanded upon the problem in Horse Care and gave details. We always pull her legs out after tightening the girth so the skin lays flat. It's not the skin under the girth it is the skin on her elbow that is rubbed. I've been doing horses for a long time and I'm quite confident that the girth is neither too tight nor too loose. In addition, when we first noticed the problem, I had my trainer check the girth just to make sure it was okay. To place the saddle correctly, the girth is just too close to her elbow for comfort. The wider the girth, the worse it is even if the girth is fuzzy. The girth she currently schools in is in fact a Cottage Craft girth. I had to look long and hard to find one. It helps but does not eliminate the problem. Pony will be off of work until the sores heal completely. Luckily, DD is off to sleep away camp today for a week so the pony was going to have a rest anyway. I do appreciate your advice and really wish I could have gone "Ah, there's the solution!" after reading your post.

elbows then it lack of bedding - bank your sides and do a deeper bed for the horse
    and the other thing check your stirrup lenght also check the horse isnt to small and you have tomuch active leg so end up kicking him in the elbows other causes are the saddle is to far forwards and ill fitting

The rubs have only appeared after riding so I am sure it is girth related. I'm having a hard time exactly describing where the rubs are. They are not under the girth and not on the true elbow. They are in front of the girth on the area of the leg above the elbow. It's like the girth interferes with her leg when she swings it back almost. The wider the girth, the worse it is so even those lovely cheap, fleece girths don't help because they are quite wide.

The pony is a large and the daughter is a small so I am sure it is not her leg. I had written in horse care that my daughter usually rides with a thin riser pad under the cantle but she had forgotten it on Sunday so went without. I am wondering if it is partly saddle fit and this encouraged the girth to creep forward more than usual. Keep the ideas coming!

I have a very, um, round Morgan mare- she can have that problem as well- and for her, it seems to stem from the saddle sliding a bit forward. I use a wintec girth on her and I put a non-slip pad under her regular saddle pad which seems to have solved the problem. If you are going for a string girth- they are still quite popular among the endurance crowd- look for mohair and not cotton
    I'm good at being uncomfortable so I can't stop changing all the time -Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine
    If I were your appendages, I'd hold open your eyes so you would see- Incubus