The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cavallo Boots

I'm thinking about purchasing a pair of Cavallo Piaffe boots. Anyone have these? If so, what do you think? Also, has anyone used Panache Equestrian? Their prices on these boots and Pikeur breeches are FANTASTIC!

I have a pair of Cavallos, but don't know if they're Piaffes or not. They have zippers that run up the front of the boot towards the inside.

I love Cavallos. This is my second pair. I've worn the first pair to death. They are on their 2nd or 3rd soles and have been patched a couple of times. Very comfortable boots (for me) and wear like iron.

Does the foot run pretty true to size on Cavallo boots? I am also thinking of purchasing a pair (probably from overseas since it is so much cheaper), but do not have a place where I can try them on before buying them. These are what I have my eyes on for winter: http://www.calevo.com/cgi-bin/calevo...e/2130157.html

I think they run a little large. I wear an 8.5 shoe, and sometimes a 9 depending on the make. I wear a 5 1/2 (european) which is an 8 US in the Cavallo. I like my toe to go almost to the end of a riding boot, so I could probably wear the 6 Euro ok.

I've had 4 pairs of Cavallo's over the years. What I've noticed is that the same size varies. I would go a notch larger on the calf size if you are in between numbers.

I love Cavallo's!

They are great got mine on ebay

I have had great service from Calevo.
    My Cavallo dress boots have been going for 16 years, although I don't wear them all the time...I wear Cavallo paddocks and Ariat half chaps in winter. Cavallo paddocks are fantastic.
    Laces, zippers AND elastic gussets,plus they have held up great.

NJR

I bought a pair of the Grand Prix Plus when I got to Germany. I thought my foot would be a 5 (euro 38; I wear an 8 in Ariat for example) but it measured a 4.5 narrow/narrow. I was really worried they would be too small but they fit very well. I went to a tack store and got measured. Both calevo.com and divoza.com had the same price and so did the tack store. I got mine in mocha brown Mine were semi custom because my calf was too big for the chart for the height that I needed but too small for the next step up.

I bought mine from Calevo too and love them. I find they run true to size.

Trespassing from the H/J forum, but I just got my Cavallo field boots two weeks ago and LOVE them. They are breaking in easily and are very comfortable. I got them from Calevo.com and mine are custom...my only complaint is the foot size seems a little large. I got a 6 Euro, and I'm an 8 in Ariat, 8.5 in other boots. I didn't want to risk them being too small so I went with the 6 and they are VERY roomy. That said, I did the "bathtub trick" and they seemed to fit better today. I highly, highly, recommend Calevo.com.

May: I also wear an 8 in Ariat and an 8.5 in tennis shoe type things and the German tack store I went to measured me for semi custom and said I was a 4.5! A 6 does sound kinda roomy but at least you'll be able to wear uber thick winter socks!

Euro size 5 I believe = 7 1/2 USA. I'd re-check with an online size chart. Yours sound like they will be way too small!

I always found that a 5 = usa 8. Whenever I buy shoes in Germany the shoe always says 5/euro38/usa8 not always in that particular order. I wear an 8 in ariat; an 8.5 in nike/adidas; and a 7 in mountain horse since their stuff runs huge (which oddly; it says usa 7/ euro 38). I think perhaps no one can make their mind up on a universal sizing chart. It's just like buying jeans

My point was really to have everything measured by a pro before ordering. The lady at the tack store traced my foot and then measured around the ball of my foot, my arch, my heel, my ankle, above my ankle, my calf, under my knee.... et cetera et cetera and then found everything on the size chart for cavallo. If I ordered my own boots I think I would have gotten them 2 cm too short and the foot would have been way too big . I thought I was going to be like a 5//38//46 but I really measured 4.5narrow foot narrow heel//39 calf//48 height.

What DOES make me happy is that german made breeches are VERY quality controlled so the sizing is the exact same among the brands I have tried so far

Maybe I got that wrong then. Is Brit sizing the same as German? I have a pair of Brit boots and they say size 5. I take a 7 or 7/12.

-Update w/ product review-

Thanks to everyone who provided input to this earlier! I ordered the Cavallo winter boots and got to ride in them today. After guessing w/ the size chart since none of the sizes matched w/ exactly how I measured, they fit like a glove! After reading the replies on this thread, I ordered one size down in the foot and it fits perfect. I'm usually a 9.5 (41), but ordered a 40. The entire foot/ankle of the boot is lined in shearling, mmmmm The shaft of the boot is insulated too. The leather isn't as good quality or as stiff as, say, the Piaffe model, but they were also $175 so I can't really complain. The shaft is well contoured so it is snug around my ankle and through the calf (I hate boots w/ baggy ankles!). Definitely nice enough to wear in the show ring. I can't comment on how they hold up since I just got them, but so far I'm impressed for the price!