The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Breath of fresh air in Chicagoland….

I've been in the Chicago area for 6 years now and have found it challenging to find good, honest horse folks. I know we all jump to warn people about the “bad” trainers and barns (which is great and helpful), but I thought I’d write a positive review because those can be just as helpful as the negative reviews. I recently started riding with Jenn Tirrell at Springfield Stables (www.springfieldstables.com) and I have to say that she is a breath of fresh air. Not only is she a talented trainer (giving both good lessons and training rides), she is an honest person who gives her clients HONEST advice and feedback, even if that advice could mean less money for her. She isn't out to rob her clients - she truly has the owners' and horses' best interest at heart. As many of us know, it’s not always easy to find this type of trainer. She’s fairly new to the Chicago area (I found her because she came highly recommended from a trusted friend of mine in Virginia) and I think we’re lucky to have her! It’s always easy to forget to pass on good reviews so I thought I’d share….

I worked with Jen when she first came back to NJ from VA. She is a class act. I felt she was professional, friendly, honest and very caring. I would not hesitate to send someone to her.

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    I worked with Jen when she first came back to NJ from VA. She is a class act. I felt she was professional, friendly, honest and very caring. I would not hesitate to send someone to her.

New Jersey misses Jenn!! I have never met a more honest and caring, funny, and professional horse person in the 35 years I've been riding... Horses come first and she treats them like her own. She's a beautiful rider and tough trainer. Jenn is very generous with her time and knowledge. She helped me pick out my current boy ... she sent me shopping with her friend in Va .. I mailed videos, she reviewed them with me and gave me her opinion... I'd still be a client if I didn't have to get on a plane to go ride my horse... I wish she would come East!!!! Enjoy SOTB... I'm jealous...

I have to agree!! Jenn has worked with my oldest daughter. She did not push her, she did not over face her. She kept it simple, safe and FUN! The Chicago area got lucky when Jenn moved out there. Hopefully everyone realizes it!

Quote Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
    Not only is she a talented trainer (giving both good lessons and training rides), she is an honest person who gives her clients HONEST advice and feedback, even if that advice could mean less money for her. She isn't out to rob her clients - she truly has the owners' and horses' best interest at heart.

Exactly right!! I would also highly recommend Jenn to anyone who is looking for a top-quality trainer who knows how to customize a program that's right for BOTH the horse and rider! It's nice to see a positive review on this board - thank you OP for posting! I really learned a lot from Jenn when I rode with her - not just about riding, but about total horse care. She is extremely professional and treats everyone with respect, regardless of your riding ability/level. My horse was always healthy and happy with her program - she's a tough act to follow!!!

Does Jenn do lessons for people that don't own? I am horseless right now but looking for quality lessons.
    "Function in disaster, finish in style, and remain at the center of your being." - Lucy Madeira Wing

Quote Originally Posted by curlybrilliance View Post
    Does Jenn do lessons for people that don't own? I am horseless right now but looking for quality lessons.
    She doesn't have any lesson horses right now, but does help horseless people find horses to lease if you're interested in leasing!

I saw "Chicagoland" and got excited. Alas,,too far away. She sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by twinkle View Post
    I saw "Chicagoland" and got excited. Alas,,too far away. She sounds great.
    How far is too far? LOL! She IS worth a drive........

Smile Springfield Stables/Jenn Tirrell

Agree 100%. Moved my horse to Jenn Tirrell at Springfield June 1st, and the care has been nothing short of perfect. She is an extremely straight shooter, absolutely not short-sighted, never trying to "sell" me, and a lovely person to be around. My horse is lucky, as am I.

I'm curious to know where those of you who rode with Jenn in Illinois ended up after she moved back east. I spoke to her briefly before she left. Wish we'd had the chance to train with her.