The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ice boots/Cold Wraps suggestions.

Specifically I am looking for a cold wrap for his heals. I have yet to come up with anything for that area. The ice wraps I have come across well, it does not seem like they would make contact with his heals.

I think I am going to invent a hoof ice wrap. Not a boot but a contouring wrap.

Butttt, if this foot wrap has already been invented can you point me in the direction for purchase please?

What ice boots/wraps do you use?

Anyone use EZ Gel Wraps? Result of use? Do they hold up to the usage the ad states they do?

Thanks!

Get a deep rubber ground feeder and dump in a bag of ice, and fill with water to pastern height. Stick close, if your boy isn't fond of standing in a tub of ice. :-D This method works well for my bosses GP horse.
    Proud mother to Matt, a 18 year-old TB gelding.

FOREVER

Along that same line, from a horse hospital or layup facility get a used lactated ringers bag. Cut the top off it, put ice in that, or very cold wraps, put the bag on the horses foot, and duct tape it closed around the pastern. It works for soaking feet, and it should work for icing them.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I have the Reitsport cold bell boots. You can adjust them so they're fairly tight against the hoof. They keep Star's coronet band area and down the hoof a bit pretty cold. I haven't touched his heels specifically. But the suggestions above would be less expensive.
    The Evil Chem Prof

I looked into the reitsport cold bell boots however, since the heal is where surgical stitches will be I don't know if the tightness of the boot would be ok for him.

Clint: are you talking about IV bags? Ive used them to soak abcess before but not for ice. I am just worried about putting something too much against his stitches. Have 1 week to decide on what to get. Thanks for the suggestions!

Jean leg ??

Quote Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
    Clint: are you talking about IV bags? Ive used them to soak abcess before but not for ice. I am just worried about putting something too much against his stitches. Have 1 week to decide on what to get. Thanks for the suggestions!

Jean leg ??
    Yes, that's what I mean. I have used IV bags for soaking, and they are roomy. What if you put ice cold wraps in there, or even those frozen gel bags? They shouldn't be too hard on stitches.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com