The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I have started to see a lot more synthetic saddles now adays. I remember not too many years ago there was a huge scare where people were saying their horses were being rubbed or pinched by these saddles.

Is this still true?

Was it ever true?

What brands are good and which or not?
    No one is good enough to save himself; no one is so bad that God cannot save him.

The saddle that fits your horse well is the "good" brand for you. Every horse is different. Of course, there are so many saddles today that are available in multiple widths. It used to be that the typical saddle had only one or two tree widths available. Not so anymore.

Wintec has many different gullet widths and now has an extra wide saddle available that has a couple of different gullet plates available. However, only the front of the saddle is changed when the gullets are swapped out and the back half of the saddle tree remains the same. In my opinion this is a problem.

Thorogood makes a variety of saddles for different types of horse backs. They have very wide panels and the panels width down the whole length of the saddle have a more consistant slope than the changeable Wintecs.

There is a bigger selection of western style (and hornless endurance) saddles available now. More widths and style types. Abetta has quite a variety.

chicamuxen

What does everyone think of big horn saddles? I am mostly interested in the western synthetic type.
    No one is good enough to save himself; no one is so bad that God cannot save him.

I know that a lot of endurance riders use Big Horns and Abetta saddles. You may find the Abetta has more variety available in trees. A friend is using one and is quite happy with it. She competes a lot and is comfortable in it but of course it has to fit the horse. Most tack stores don't have all the endurance styles in stock. You should do some research before ordering and then make sure that it fits your horse.

chicamuxen

I have both Big Horn and Abetta synthetic saddles. I love both of them and they have held up well. Just be sure to find one in a tree that fits your horse. Both brands are available in different tree sizes, although I have found that neither comes in a tree wide enough for some horses.

I bought an Abetta for my husband to ride in and am very impressed by its comfort (for both rider & horse) and low price.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Well, I was thinking of getting one because I may be buying a growing horse. She is pretty narrow now, but looks like she could fill OUT when she stops growing UP. I don't want to buy an expensive saddle when it may not fit her very long. I just wanted to know if there was anything wrong with them. You know like pinching or rubbing?

I've never noticed either of my saddles pinching or rubbing. And the seats are very comfortable for me. I love the fact that they are so light weight.

Where did you get yours? On line? Etc?

I was planning to do have her fitted for tree size and then keep an eye out for one cheap at a tack swap or on line.

I paid $260 for mine through a dealer on ebay.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Patchworkpony, I have a nice Wintec that does not fit my gelding anymore (grew) They are alright saddles, definetly for the growing horses. They are comfy if they fit you and your horse. Mine is a 16 inch seat with a med/wide tree and I am tring to sell it for $100
    -Lindsey

I love my Abetta endurance saddle, even if the stirrups are a little too far forward. None of my horses have gotten a sore back from it, and I kind of have to use it on every horse I ride. I have two different saddle pads I put on depending on how high the horse's withers are. I even used it on a pony I was training. I know it isn't a good idea to use one saddle on a variety of horses, but this is the only saddle I can use (other than a western that definitely does NOT transfer to different back shapes well) that keeps my hip from causing me pain. I don't have the $$$ to buy a different Abetta saddle for every horse I own.
    "Passion without knowledge is a runaway horse."

Sounds like they aren't too expensive.

Sorry, dressagejunkie I don't know what horse I'm getting yet or their whither size anyway, so can't buy a saddle just yet.

I will be new to this sport this coming year. I am a dressage saddle person and find that this saddle is one of the favorites of endurance riders, light and the set back stirrup bars place your leg right for the endurance also. I have a western abetta and only use it if I have to, which I usually find a reason not to.

I really like the look and feel of the wintec isabell with the removable gullets. Has anyone used one of these? How do they fit??

I've ridden in synthetic as well as know people who own them. Wintec's are very good, I don't have one but I've ridden in an english as well as western saddle. I found the western to be a little hard in the seat but the english is very comfortable. I haven't found that they bother horses any more. But then again it really depends on the horses build. I approve of synthetic saddles though. They're easy to keep and very light and comfortable.

patchworkpony,
    My friend has one of those removable gullet ones. Personally I don't like them because I feel like they put me in a really forward seat. But it really depends on you I guess. Good Luck!
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...g/42486ab3.jpg
    Cross Country is AWESOME

lv2hnt Guest

We have had both Abetta and Big horn saddles. I prefer the Big Horn. We have one western saddle that fits a variety of horses. Very comfy for the rider, too.

Originally posted by lv2hnt:
    We have had both Abetta and Big horn saddles. I prefer the Big Horn. We have one western saddle that fits a variety of horses. Very comfy for the rider, too.
    I have heard that people prefer the Big Horn western saddle to Abetta also. I think I prefer the look of the Big Horn too.

I have the Wintec Isabell and love it. It has the cair and changeable gullets. Horses seem to be fine with it also. I also have the torsion dressage saddle, I like it but not as much as the Wintec but am going to try and use it more for the long distance.
    PS. I'm an 'original' ;minasnowtaian also. Iron Range transplanted to Maine via NJ

Luv the Fabtron cordura saddles! Completely sold on 'em. Started with pre-owned, and once my guy stopped growing, the tack shop fella ordered the style I wanted, but with the tree size we needed, and took my old saddle as a(very generous) trade in. Got the new one for a pittance of the retail price.
    Century Grove