The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Joint supplements for the older competing equine

I'm looking at doing a full lease on a WONDERFUL 14-year-old gelding who would teach me all kinds of things and be very competitive in the show ring. Right now, he is not on any joint supplements, but does get his hocks done once a year before show season (per the owner) and has for the past 2 years. My trainer has suggested that we start him on some joint supplements should the lease work out (we're having a trial period first). I am interested in doing the best I possibly can by this lovely guy, and want him to be as comfortable as possible!

My trainer has suggested a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement (I'm assuming she basically means Cosequin) and a hyaluronic acid supp as well. Is there anything else I should be looking at as far as slightly senior equine + comfort goes? In the past, I have only owned young horses, so this is new territory!

Thank you in advance!

LOVE Platinum Performance CJ. Vet recommended it to me because it has good quantities of all the joint stuff, including ASU, and also has the regular Platinum Performance "base' ingredients for hooves, coat etc. My 20 yr old has done extremely well on it. It's pricey but worth it.

smartpak has a special cosequin called Cosequin SP. I think it has what you are looking for... I just started my 13 year old on it because it had what I was looking for at a nice price.

I like the Corta-flx with 100mg HA. I've never met a horse who wouldn't eat it, plus since it's liquid they can't leave it in the bottom of the bucket.

Do a search and you'll find 1000 opinions and anecdotes about what works and what doesn't. It's tough to figure out what will be best for your own horse and your expense account also comes into play. FWIW, this is what I do for my 17-year-old mare:

Daily: Force Flex (cheap and 100 mg HA) and SmartRepair from Smartpak. The latter is somewhat expensive, but has a lot of good things in it and I'm one for going overboard.

Monthly: Adequan

Occasionally: Legend

http://www.smartpakequine.com/charts/JointCompare.html

This is a good comparison chart that has a bunch of different brands to check out to start with...
    "This thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down" - Mary Pickford

Ditto the Platinum CJ. Have my 16 yr old mare on it. Love the stuff, and they are so easy to deal with. Expensive but worth it!

Cosequin ASU is my first choice, followed by good old Cosequin, followed by Corta Flex (depending on your budget).

I was given a bunch of samples of the Platinum CJ...couldn't get anyone to eat it! It's too much powdery-ness for most of mine, I think.

I use regular Cosequin.
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

After trying Cosequin ASU and not finding it made a huge difference, I looked into something cheaper. I've been using SmartFlex Senior. My guy is 14, but has had some issues. I liked the quantity of glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM for the price. He got better through other treatments, but I figured it can't hurt and at only 60 or 70 cents a day, I'm happy with it.

Regular Cosequin and then add MSM and Yucca yourself (cheaper than getting the Cosequin w/MSM, and Yucca's good as well).

But if it's a lease, obviously clear it with the owner first.

It sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun with a great horse. Congrats!

Its a bit pricey but I use Hylasport on my duaghters 28 year old Arab/Welsh. Her popping disappeared and she moves so freely. She jumps 2'6" courses with no problems and at 28 I'd say thats pretty impressive.

Ditto on the Corta- Flex Sodium Hyaluronate, 100 mg HA

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...d-4b660a0e629c

I also have mine on Equinyl Combo

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...c-d6366d99c871

Adequan. The upfront cost is daunting if you do the loading dose, but a maintenance dose costs about the same as most oral supps and it's a 'direct-delivery' product that really helps their whole body. I found that it extended the 'life' of hock injections as well.

I second the adequan. GREAT stuff. I also feed straight up MSM. good for joints and its a anti-inflam as well.
    don't squat with your spurs on!