The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Insta Hot?

There's an old thread in Endurance about the Insta Hot water heating system for bathing horses. I am posting here to hopefully get more responses before buying one. Anyone else have it? What do you think?

We recently got a quote to install a water heater (and run the water lines, insulate the room it would go into, etc) and it was way more than expected and is not doable at this time. The Insta Hot seems like it might bridge the gap.

I'll certainly be watching this thread (!!) to see if you get more responses from folks who've gotten one and are using it (than I did)....I personally, am interested in the propane one, that is just attached to the hose! Maybe by now, more people have bought and are using one!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Default Ayrabz....

I was hoping that you had decided to get one and could tell me all about it! I just got an email from Schneider's today featuring the Insta Hot. That should generate some interest.

There have been quite a few topics on "Hott Wash". If you wanted a full-sized water heater, you will probably be woefully disappointed by Hott Wash. But if you just have a sporadic need (and have lots of time and patience) it could work for you.
    Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

I know there's been threads on Hott Wash but unless I'm mistaken, Insta Hot is different in that it heats the water by propane whereby Hott Wash is electric. Insta Wash claims that you get a continual flow of hot water. I have read that with the Hott Wash once you get through the initial 4 or 8 gallons (depending on the size you purchase), you have to wait for more water to heat up. I am specifically asking about the Insta Hot not the Hott Wash.

I have one of these that we use when camping. You do have to have a good flow of water and if you are at a high altitude (7,000+) the heat can be a bit sporadic - I think it has to do w/the propane flow. I also think there is some sort of gas flow regulator that you can buy that will help adjust for it. At home it works great (4,000 feet) - consistent temperature - be careful you can get it uncomfortably hot. It is fairly easy to hook up. There is an small open flame so I would only use it outside and not in a barn. The use of the hand cart that they show in the picture - would make it quite a bit easier to use as it is heavy w/the tank.