The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Silly question about titles in Germany...

So I am looking at purchasing a three year old mare in Germany. She is an SPA mare, and has her 1a rating? Can someone explain what these mean exactly? I know what an SPS mare is but not so sure about the SPA. I hope to breed her in the future at some point, but first she's going to be a performance horse.
    Thanks!

She has to produce a foal to be SPS. Equivalent to Elite Eligible here.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post

Caitlin
    Depends on which registry. The North American equivalent for Oldenburg (GOV) mares is Special Premium Mare. The Elite title is something different for Oldenburg and has several ways for the mare to qualify. Requirements are here:
    http://www.oldenburghorse.com/Inspec...res-Status.pdf .

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post

Caitlin
    Actually that is not quite correct if you are speaking about Hanoverians. SPA is equivalent to an Elite Mare Candidate (EMC) and not Elite Eligible. Elite Eligible is the title given to mares that score an overall 7 at inspection. EMC is given to those mares who had scored over a 7 on inspection AND passed the MPT with a 7 or over. Once an EMC has a foal, she is now an EM.

I have an SPA/EM. She was imported with her SPA. Which meant she had been inspected, received her 1a prize, and passed her MPT with a 7 or higher. In the US, she had a foal, so she became an EM (because we cannot use the SPS title here). If she stayed in Germany, she would have become SPS with the foal.

And to the OP, hope the description above helps. And the 1a prize is 1st place at a mare show.
    Last edited by Edgewood; Jul. 23, 2010 at 09:02 AM. Reason: typo

Whoops, sorry, had my terms mixed up!

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

And the 1a prize is 1st place at a mare show.
    Actually, to clarify even further, a 1a is the highest rating that can be given - not necessarily first place. Judges don't have to give out a 1a at a show if they feel the mares are not deserving. A first place could be a 1b, or 1c.

Additionally, judges can give out more than one 1a rating if the mares at the show are of exceptional quality. So you can have a 1st, 2nd & 3rd placed mares, all with 1a.

And are you ready for this? You can't chase shows for your 1a. You are only allowed to show one time in the three and 4 yo year to get that 1a for SPS.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

As others said:
    Which registry ?

For Hanoverian as also already described the mare has to get a 1A prize at a show age 3 or 4. With this prize she is States Premium Candidate. Staatsprämienanwärterin. She has to complete her mare performance test in the same year with specific marks. These have changed in the past So I would need to look up on hanvoerian homeapge. Than to finally get the title SPS Staatsprämienstute she has to have a foal (to be born in Germany) and has to be owned by someone living in Lower Saxony in Germany (maybe nowerdays just in Germany).
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    http://youtu.be/1O23BeiKpkY