The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Can GM stop using the word "tasty" for nice horses?

In his lastest Practical Horseman critique column, George Morris once again used the term "tasty" to describe a horse he liked. Given that in some countries, people really do find horses tasty (in a mealtime way), I really wish he's stop using that word . . . .

Well, at least he isn't saying "yummy"
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Jaeger, you owe my company a keyboard and monitor.

The mere thought of GM saying "what a yummy horse" made me nearly spew peach tea on both!

Quote Originally Posted by hollyhorse2000 View Post
    In his lastest Practical Horseman critique column, George Morris once again used the term "tasty" to describe a horse he liked. Given that in some countries, people really do find horses tasty (in a mealtime way), I really wish he's stop using that word . . . .
    I agree with you. Have you contacted Practical Horsemen?
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

You're kidding right? I describe the odd man in such a fashion....doesn't make me a cannibal does it?
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Quote Originally Posted by sisu27 View Post
    You're kidding right? I describe the odd man in such a fashion....doesn't make me a cannibal does it?
    It may not make you a cannibal but by saying it you apparently are encouraging cannibalism in others.

what an odd little man...

Mmmmmm, tasty tasty horsies...

Seriously??
    Y'all ain't right!

I don't care for it myself, but that's just because to my ears it just sounds odd. Kinda fratboyish, for one thing. Not a favorite word unless someone is describing actual food.

I think it's silly for a grown man to use words like that, but it certainly doesn't evoke in me images of dining on horses! And although we are all allowed to form our own opinions as to eating horse meat, it's not illegal or anything. Good grief.
    Click here before you buy.

Ya, that's weird for a grown man.

On a similar side note, I work at Kraft Foods, and our new catch word is delicious. They use it for EVERYTHING! "We need to make this hallway more delicious" (ie put better decorations up). "Make every day delicious!" "My, that is a delicious sweater you're wearing!" "That was a delicious review you wrote." Ugh...it makes my ears bleed! All I want to do is scream "Hallways CANNOT be delicious!!!"
    ~Isabel

Proud owner and groom for Infinity Sport Horse

Quote Originally Posted by CatchMeIfUCan View Post

On a similar side note, I work at Kraft Foods, and our new catch word is delicious. They use it for EVERYTHING! "We need to make this hallway more delicious" (ie put better decorations up). "Make every day delicious!" "My, that is a delicious sweater you're wearing!" "That was a delicious review you wrote." Ugh...it makes my ears bleed! All I want to do is scream "Hallways CANNOT be delicious!!!"
    OMG! That is hysterical!

I worked at GE once and they call their little round icon "the meatball". It was also trendy there, when you accomplished something good to "bubble it up" or brag about it to your supervisors.

I don't get the whole tasty/relates to eating horses thing. Wayyyyyy too uber-PC for me. I would have never thought of it that way.

It one of those food words like delicious and yummy that I find highly annoying when used to decribe anything but food. I can't stand it only because there are plenty of adjectives in our language available for our use. FWIW, I also HATE the phrase he has "a lot on his plate". Get over the food connotations (and cliche phrases) already!

Other than hating the use of the word, and thinking it's odd that a man such as GM would use it to decribe a horse, I think you're being overly sensitive. I wish the whole world would quit be so PC, sensitive and "offended" so easily.

OK, I'm done with my little rant now.

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    It one of those food words like delicious and yummy that I find highly annoying when used to decribe anything but food. I can't stand it only because there are plenty of adjectives in our language available for our use. FWIW, I also HATE the phrase he has "a lot on his plate". Get over the food connotations (and cliche phrases) already!

Other than hating the use of the word, and thinking it's odd that a man such as GM would use it to decribe a horse, I think you're being overly sensitive. I wish the whole world would quit be so PC, sensitive and "offended" so easily.

OK, I'm done with my little rant now.
    I'm mortally offended by your lack of appreciation for how the OP was offended by the reference to Tasty.

Unless of course you are offended by my taking offense--I mean I, personally, am not out to offend anyone.

Me thinks we all need more to do.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CatchMeIfUCan View Post

Our last one was 'fantastic'. Everything was fantastic. "Give me fantastic sales!" "The new office is fantastic!"

Got to the point where I wanted to stab someone.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

This thread is so cute I could eat it with a spoon!

Seriously? You are bothered by 'tasty?' it's just a way to say he appreciates it. Like "I could hug you in two'- doesn't actually mean I intend to cleave you into two pieces in order to convey my appreciation.

Honestly, it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    This thread is so cute I could eat it with a spoon!

Seriously? You are bothered by 'tasty?' it's just a way to say he appreciates it. Like "I could hug you in two'- doesn't actually mean I intend to cleave you into two pieces in order to convey my appreciation.

Honestly, it doesn't.
    Best response yet.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Personally, I would be quite tickled to have The George make such a comment about any of my horses...
    Last edited by Ghazzu; Jul. 22, 2010 at 09:54 PM. Reason: left the "l" out of "tickled"
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Personally, I would be quite ticked to have The George make such a comment about any of my horses...
    Excellent point! Agree!
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/