The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best whitening shampoo?

Do you guys have any favorite whitening shampoos? Mostly to be used for regular yet futile attempts to make my mare's tail some shade of white-ish, and the occasional white sock scrub on everyone else.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

This stuff is incredible: Healing Tree Whitener

The Lucky Braids shampoo and whitener work really well.

Quiksilver. For tails, I used to use some old lady rinse stuff on the Arab that I showed years ago. I'm pretty sure they still make it, next time I'm at WallyWorld I'll have to look for the name of it.

Both the Healing Tree & Lucky Braids stuff claim to break the bond between the staining protein & tail hair. Any idea if they are similar to Nature's Miracle, which I have at home (thanks to a UTI-prone cat)?

Orvus paste, especially for lots of white (paints, white horses)
    http://millerharness.com/product.asp...zmap=Y4-JF2259

For tails, dissove blu-kote in water and soak (work out the timing so you get silver, not lavender tails)
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

There's a thread on another forum that raves about using "Goop" in the tails before shampooing ... I think you rub it in to a dry tail, allow to sit for 15 or 20 minutes, then shampoo out with a regular shampoo. It's supposed to be amazing, although I personally haven't tried it.

My chestnut has a flaxen tail, and I've considered trying this method, but we don't have anywhere important to go so I haven't bothered with it.

Here's a link: http://www.goophandcleaner.com/

I use Quiksilver on my gray horses white tail. Works well. If her tail is really dirty, , I sometimes do one wash first with Orvis and then do a second wash with the Quiksilver. Orvus suds more and takes the dirt out. Quiksilver whitens it - great when it's stained. I have used the Healing Tree product before and liked it, but only used it for spot cleaning.

With my son's pony's white tail we usually wash it first with regular shampoo (depending on how dirty it is) and then again with Quicksilver and then finish with the old lady rinse for gray hair.

Quicksilver and Orvus Paste both work wonders. I'd probably do Quicksilver for socks and Orvus Paste for bodies, if I had to choose...happy bathing!

I mix Orvus and Quicksilver in the bucket, and then scrubscrubscrub the tail and particularly dirty places (knees, hocks, socks) with Quicksilver. I let his legs and tail soak in the Quicksilver while I'm washing the rest of my horse, who is almost white (and therefore desires to be dirt-colored).

I rinse the tail really well and then put on Cowboy Magic conditioner and let it soak for a bit. If his tail is really yellow I use this old lady yellow-out conditioner I get at the Sally Beauty store. I find that conditioning really well keeps the tail from getting re-stained, and doesn't attract dirt like Show Sheen or whatever. He's a jumper so I bang it halfway between his ankles and hocks, and when the bottom is really yellow coming out of winter it's satisfying to cut that stuff off!
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

I'm going to spring for the Lucky Braids whitener on my lunch break. The Healing Tree stuff sounds great too, but the local tack shop sells Lucky Braids so it feeds my craving for instant gratification. Oh yeah and a bottle of Quiksilver (or similar) for regular washings.

My mare must be special, she pees on the bottom HALF of her tail. I bang it on the shorter side and it's still atrocious. Hopefully the LB whitener will work a miracle.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations!

came2ride2 Guest

The great thing about WOW is the longer you leave it in the better it works. You don't have to rinse it out. Same with Lucky Braids. They both contain enzymes that repel urine and grimy stuff, not blueing or bleach.

Default Tail Bleaching?

I have used the whitening shampoos on this yellow tail and I have come to the conclusion that it is the color of the tail not a stained tail. He was born a chestnut and still has a reddish cast to his tail...it is darker higher up as in hasnt greyed yet. Any suggestions for bleaching or does bleaching not work on horse tails? PatO