The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anhydrosis- Beating it... what more can I do?

I recently realized my mare is showing signs of the onset of anhydrosis.. and in the middle of the summer here in Florida this is NOT a good thing. I am a private facility with one open "pole barn" style stall but otherwise my horses are pastured 24/7. She has not seemed uncomfortable or blowy during the days in the field, even when the weather has been at 96-97 degrees (not including heat index), however, today I rigged up a box fan and will be stalling her with the fan during the day.

I have doubled her electrolyte suppliments. I have also purchased Pro-sweat which is on the way.

Additionally, I will be washing prior to riding (early or very late) with a water/absorbine liniment bath and have an alcohol/water spray bottle ready while I ride.

I have ordered this (https://www.coolmedics.com/products....ket-%252d-4200) which might be nice for ALL my horses after riding! but I thought especially for an anhydritic one.

I have also ordered One AC.

Questions are: 1) can I give pro sweat and one AC at the same time?
    and 2) is there anything else I might try?

I don't have access to a misting fan, nor can I afford to send her away to be boarded,

thanks!

I had an OTTB who quit sweating in the summer when he was 16. He lived until he was 37 here in Florida although I did retire him at about 20. For him I found that he was very good at deciding when he needed to be under the fan, so I let him come & go as he pleased (stall opened into paddock with a tree for shade).

I wouldn't give both supplements together, especially at first because then you will never know which one of them is actually working! Try the one AC, if you are not pleased with the results try the other. There are a couple of other products on the market, I had good luck with one made in the Carolinas called Let-M-Sweat. I'm sure you can find it online easy enough, if not I'll look for you.

I haven't personally had to deal with Anydrosis (thank goodness), but know a few people who have. I've heard that acupunture is very good for these horses and have you consider some of the cool medic sheets/blankets?

dalpal - Thanks, that is what that link above was.

Quote Originally Posted by TSHEventing View Post
    dalpal - Thanks, that is what that link above was.
    Ah, sorry...I was in a very big hurry and was just skimming/wanted to give you the info that I've learned in the past couple of weeks.

My horse stopped sweating overnight about 3 weeks ago. One day, normal.... next day, no sweat.

Since then, he's been getting 1 bottle of Guinness beer in the morning, One AC morning & night and Pro Sweat morning & night.

He goes out at 5:30am and is usually in by 11 or noon. We've had over 90* temps with high humidity lately so he goes in the barn with the fan when it gets hot. He gets hosed off/scraped/hosed off etc... as needed. He isn't being ridden as I have shoulder surgery coming up next week.

He has had some small patches of dampness on his coat in odd places (like the middle of his rib cage) recently. I'm hoping that's a sign that the beer + supplements are helping.

Best of luck!
    Taryn

I tried the One AC for 5 weeks with limited success. Just last week I switched to Let M Sweat. I have also tried the beer. My findings are that some days he does have a little sweat on his neck, and other days he's bone dry. He also sweats in odd places (like just above the knees).

I'm not sure anything helps 100%, and it is frustrating. I can totally relate to your situation. I feel so helpless when I see my horse huffing and puffing in the pasture. Riding at any time of the day is short and depends on how he is feeling. He has plenty of shade and a run-in but no electric out there so no fans. I did buy these misting hoses at Lowe's - they come in ten foot lengths and attach to any regular hose. You can put them on a timer so they are on during the hottest parts of the day. They only use about 1/2 gallon an hour. The idea is the mist cools the surrounding air. I am going to put it in the ceiling of the run-in and see what happens, since I can easily run the hose out there. If it works well I will run PVC pipe out and extend the water source to the run-in. I'll let you know how it works.

The only suggestion I have is that you get a better fan. Box fans don't move enought air. Mine all have 20" metal fans. They are harder to hang but cool better.

please search on anhydrosis on this forum. This has been discussed ad nauseum and I don't have it in my to write it all again- best wishes

other tips

the metal fan is worth it. my horse loves his.

per rinsing before riding. vet advice says horses cool better when you rinse and scrape off immediately. the water actually makes them hot if you dont scrape. that is what i do with my guy before i ride. i do a quick rinse and scrape and immediately saddle up. he is doing much better in the heat.

i use one ac and guinness. he's sweating alittle, but i notice he is blowing and panting alot less

The best results I have seen in any horse who suffers from anhydrosis is chinese herbs and acupuncture. I use a product I saw advertised on this site called Perspirade that I saw amazing results in my TB. I tried all of the products mentioned and Perspirade was the only effective product. I bought the product on Smartpak's site.

We've had weeks of unusually hot and humid weather in my area. It's never been this hot, this long, this early in the summer.

I did acupuncture in the spring and started the Let-Em-Sweat in his AM feed also. This will sound silly but I also feed 4 cups of watermelon rind each day. One of the vets I had talked to about acupuncture for anhydrosis said her professor at the University of Florida had recommended 3-6 cups of watermelon rind as the "cooling, food therapy"part of Chinese medicine (or words to that effect).

This regimen has kept my horse comfortable so far this summer. In years past he would get huffy, puffy, panting just standing in his stall with the fans on. So far this year no huffing or panting when standing around. (Note: he's not been in work since he stopped sweating this summer).

Over the past 2 weeks I also started adding Perspirade to his evening feed. And have noticed over the last couple days that he's had sweat patches on his neck, under his tail and a little on the flank area. This has occurred while we've continued to have temps in the upper 90's and into the 100's. He's been more alert and brighter eyed. If he continues to show improvement then I hope to tack him up and start some walk and/or trot work with him.

All of the above plus:
    Equiwinner patch
    True Sweat
    I would give one product at a time a chance to work though, the equiwinner patch you can use along with any of the other products though.

Everything you are doing is they way to go , I agree with the fan upgrade as well, invest now and a metal fan will last you a few years. I do replace more often only because it makes me feel at ease if my fan is old ( you know that whole fire paranoia thing

Let-M-Sweat is the best ...1-AC is crap IMHO.

Accupuncture didnt do anything either.
    Ride it like you stole it....ohhh sh*t

cantango 1: it all depends on the horse if the supplement works or not.

i was very happy to see my horse's neck and chest covered in sweat when i went to get him out of the pasture last night.

considering I've been seeing little sweat and then to find him wet yesterday, I was very happy. he also sweated alot more when I rode him last night!

so the guinness and two scoops of one ac in the morning works for me for now....

Move to Montana! (just kidding ) that's what I did! But if moving to Montana is not a feasible option, I found that One AC was the most effective with my non sweater. Especially if you catch it early enough, before they are CONFIRMED non sweaters. Night turn-out also if your horse doesn't have terrible feet (mine did)

I posted that my 19 year old just stopped sweating about a week ago. He was given 3cc's of Dex for hives and I wonder if this has anything to do with it?
    I started him on electrolytes this past weekend and 2 cans of Guiness the day before yesterday. One AC is on its way from Smartpak, should arrive today.
    He is not sweating but doesn't seem to be in any distress.He is not panting. I ride him in the morning, but the sun is still pretty hot and its about 80 here(MA)even in the morning. I ride for about a 1/2 hr(he is used to 1 hour or more). He blows a little during the ride, but he always did. By the time I walk him out be is not blowing at all. I give him a cold water vetrolin bath and he is fine. He has a fan on his stall door. His temp was 99.3. What could be going on??? My vet is not worried. She said to keep doing what I'm doing and he could just be in great condition, although the sweating is a problem. I guess I will just have to see what happens in the next couple of weeks with the ONE AC.

Bigbay- Agreed, that is always the case. Goes without saying I would think. Everything works for some and not for others.

springer- Just curious, What does night turn out have anything to do with terrible feet? The moisture in the grass? My TB has typical TB feet and is on night turnout......
    Ride it like you stole it....ohhh sh*t