The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Show ring fashion - question about breeches?

Sometimes I feel completely inept when it comes to buying new show clothes! So any help would be much appreciated

Currently just doing schooling and un-rated Hunter shows but I'm hoping to move into some rated shows.

It's time to replace my show breeches but I don't really have the ability to spend a lot. I've been keeping my eye on e-bay, craigslist, tack trader, and some consignment stores. No luck so far!

I came across these breeches by Equine Couture (JPC), does anyone have experience with this brand? From what I can see, the cut and seams are nice, but I'm not sure if the color is right:
    http://breeches.com/Equine-Couture-L...pid-50281.html

I've been looking for more online consignment stores and classifieds to try. Any ideas?

What color would you recommend from Ariat breeches, beige or khaki?
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...3&ids=15701464
    Last edited by tbheart; Jul. 22, 2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: more information

82% nylon would make the breeches you're looking at VERY VERY hot in the summer. For less than $20 more, you could purchase a more flattering pair of RJ Classics and I think you'd be happier. Try: http://www.equusnow.com/
    Fabulous people to deal with.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

the color is perfect!

I recommend the Ovation Euroweave side zip breeches. They are 4 way stretch and Dry-weave fabric, just like the high end. They look and fit great. They are around $70 on victorycanter.com

Nora

I was looking for a reasonably priced pair of breeches for showing just a few weeks ago (sadly didn't buy any though since the show got cancelled). For color, I think anything light tan or maybe beige is a safe bet, but the color you have there looks fine, too.

I was at the Dover Saddlery and they had some pretty nice pairs there that weren't too costly. Although I've heard a few people complain about the Dover customer service, I haven't had any bad experiences. You can also shop online if there isn't an actual store near you. I liked this pair here:
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/devon-a...X1-35377/cn/2/

I also like to try http://www.horseloverz.com/ as well when I'm looking for something afforadable. They usually have great prices and sales nearly everytime I shop on the website. They have an actual store somewhere, but I have never been there. They're customer service is lovely and I've never had a bad experience with them either.

Although I've never bought anything from this website, http://www.equestriancollections.com/ seems to have a nice selection of breeches that would work for your situation. Perhaps you could look around there! I liked these: http://www.equestriancollections.com...upcode=AT00526 although I'm not entirely sure if they'd be for rated shows!

I hope that I helped! Good luck showing and finding a pair of show breeches!

I have a pair of the equine couture that I wear for showing. I don't find them any hotter then any other breeches, the quality is good, and they look nice.

Quinn, I'm so glad you noticed that! They are also made of 12% CoolMax, which might offset that. I will have to look into it.

KYHunterGirl, Thanks.. I will have to look into them!

Defying Gravity, thanks for the suggestions! I have used both dover and horseloverz. I was hoping to find a consignment shop with some nice lightly used breeches, but there are none in my area and few have turned up online.

enjoytheride, I'm glad you chimed in with your experience!

I'm getting the vibe that the color I originally posted is acceptable?

Have you tried the various brands on to know which ones you prefer? This helps, then when you come across a good deal, you can snatch them up.

Regarding nylon in breeches, it doesn't bother me. I have serveral pair of TS Royals and don't find them too bad in the summer. Not as nice as the Professionals material, but not terrible either. I also really like the RJ Classic breeches - they fit great and the material and quality is really nice. And also, the staff at Equus Now is top notch!

Dover has some of the Ariat Brittany breeches on sale for a VERY good price

I think Farmhouse might still have some of their clearance Tailored Sportsmans

I actually just recently got the Equine Couture euro seat breeches for my DD (from Smartpak? I think) for around $ 60.00

Is anyone still wearing the green beige color? I'm toying with the idea of getting a new pair of tailoreds since all I have is older green ones.
    Eight Fences Farm. Mansfield, MA

I highly highly recommend the Ariat Brittany's from Dover. I just bought them, they're super cool for the summer, and half the price they originally were! (But DO order a size down in them, I bought a 26 and am wishing I would've gotten a 24, but at the price, they're an awesome deal!)

Quote Originally Posted by luvs2ridewbs View Post
    Is anyone still wearing the green beige color? I'm toying with the idea of getting a new pair of tailoreds since all I have is older green ones.
    Yes, I see the green beige color at shows.

The RJ Classics breeches are really nice! I also have a pair of Grand Prix breeches that I LOVE

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far!

I have heard great things about the RJ Classics & Grand Prix breeches, too!

ponymom64 & enjoytheride - does the sizing in the equine couture breeches run true to size? or did you notice a real difference?

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I have a pair of the equine couture that I wear for showing. I don't find them any hotter then any other breeches, the quality is good, and they look nice.
    Me too. I love mine. Mine have a brown trim along the pocket, are side zip and a beige with a slight touch of the khaki but not the true green-beige and they look great. They also have the apprpriate seams and the coolmax makes them very bearable in the heat.
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

I just ordered a pair of Ariat Sport Select low rise breeches from Dover, on sale for $40 in the Summer Sales catalog. I got the beige, which is similar to the greenish-beige of old, but not quite as strong in color. Unfortunately I didn't realize they run large, so I'm sending back the 28s and exchanging for 26, but the fabric is lovely. Can't beat the price!
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://tinyurl.com/kj7x53c
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e

Has anyone bought the hoof and woof breeches? I found these today and they look like they have the right seams and color, and the right price! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CR Gorge Girl View Post
    Has anyone bought the hoof and woof breeches? I found these today and they look like they have the right seams and color, and the right price! lol.
    I haven't tried them either but have wondered. I hope someone has had experience and lets us know!

Quote Originally Posted by tbheart View Post
    Thanks for all the great suggestions so far!

I have heard great things about the RJ Classics & Grand Prix breeches, too!

ponymom64 & enjoytheride - does the sizing in the equine couture breeches run true to size? or did you notice a real difference?
    I thought they ran a touch smaller than the TS's she usually wears.....

While generally speaking, I prefer beige to khaki in the Ariat breeches, I think that in pictures, the khaki photographs better and presents a nicer picture. It's not a horrid puke green color - it does have a bit more of a brown tone.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.