The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are tack stores' return/exchange policies different than those of regular stores?

I have been thinking about this lately after exchanging an item I bought from a tack store.

Imagine you bought something at a tack store during a sale and got a 25% discount. A while later, you decide to exchange the unused item for a different model. You make this exchange over the phone, ship the first item back and receive the new item. There is a 10$ difference in the price (before sale) of the item you exchange. How much of a price difference would you expect to be charged on top of the shipping charges:

-10$?
    -or the difference between the discounted price (-25%) of the first item and the regular price of the 2nd item?

If it makes any difference, the tack shop is one a real brick-and-mortar one (as opposed to an online store) that is known for excellent customer service.

If I bought something on sale for $150 that was regular $200 and then wanted to exchange it for something that was $160 I’d expect to pay the $10 difference + shipping.

Are you asking whether you should get credit for the original full price of the item that you purchased at a discounted price??

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

I would expect a credit for the amount of the first item (and any applicable taxes) and a charge for the amount of the second item (with any applicable taxes).

You didn't buy item B during the sale, therefore, you do not get 25% off when you exchange item A for item B "a while later."
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodyTwo View Post
    If I bought something on sale for $150 that was regular $200 and then wanted to exchange it for something that was $160 I’d expect to pay the $10 difference + shipping.
    That was my thought process as well, thank you for confirming I am not crazy.

Are you asking whether you should get credit for the original full price of the item that you purchased at a discounted price??
    No, I would never expect that. I was however surprised that they charged me for the difference between the price of the discounted item I returned and the regular price of the item it was exchanged for. My reasoning was that if I had bought the second item instead of the first one during the sale (when they were both on sale) I would only have paid 10$ more.

If you buy something and return it, you should be refunded the amount that you paid. Even if the item is normally $200, you paid $150 for it, so you get $150 back. Otherwise the store is paying you for returning an item.

That shouldn't change if you're putting the refund money toward the purchase of something else. If the new item is $210 + shipping ("a $10 difference in the price (before sale) of the item you exchange"), then you should pay $60 + shipping, not $10 plus shipping.

If this is what is indeed the situation at hand, I'm confused. That seems the logical action for any store, whether it's a tack store or a "regular store." Am I missing something?

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    No, I would never expect that. I was however surprised that they charged me for the difference between the price of the discounted item I returned and the regular price of the item it was exchanged for. My reasoning was that if I had bought the second item instead of the first one during the sale (when they were both on sale) I would only have paid 10$ more.
    Ahhhh, I see!

I would counter with, their reasoning is that if you wanted to buy it then, you could have. If you wanna buy it now... full price.

I’m sorry, but I’m in the camp that if the item you’re exchanging for is no longer on sale, then you pay the full price for it. Onelaneroad explained it better… I misunderstood your OP and thought that the $10 difference was at the regular price, not the sale price.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Palomino Hunter View Post
    If you buy something and return it, you should be refunded the amount that you paid. Even if the item is normally $200, you paid $150 for it, so you get $150 back. Otherwise the store is paying you for returning an item.

That shouldn't change if you're putting the refund money toward the purchase of something else. If the new item is $210 + shipping ("a $10 difference in the price (before sale) of the item you exchange"), then you should pay $60 + shipping, not $10 plus shipping.
    Yes that is the tack store's point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Palomino Hunter View Post
    If this is what is indeed the situation at hand, I'm confused. That seems the logical action for any store, whether it's a tack store or a "regular store." Am I missing something?
    No, my point of view is simply different from yours, which is why I was asking for other peoples' perspective!

From my point of view and using your figures as an example, I exchanged something worth 200$ even though I only paid 150$ for it, hence why I should only pay the 10$ price difference.

Your argument is that they are then paying me to return an item, but they agreed to sell that item to me at that price during the sale in the first place!

Let's look at it another way: if I buy a shirt from a retailer at 25% off, and later exchange it for another size after the sale is over, would I still pay the difference between the discounted and regular price then? I don't think so.

There's a difference, though, if you're exchanging for the same SKU but only in a different size... you want to exchange for a totally different SKU.

Quote Originally Posted by onelanerode View Post
    I would expect a credit for the amount of the first item (and any applicable taxes) and a charge for the amount of the second item (with any applicable taxes).

You didn't buy item B during the sale, therefore, you do not get 25% off when you exchange item A for item B "a while later."
    This. While it would be nice of them to give you the discount on the new item, you didn't buy it during the sale so I wouldn't expect the discount.

There's a difference, though, if you're exchanging for the same SKU but only in a different size... you want to exchange for a totally different SKU.
    Agreed, but they told me they were actually happy to take it back as they were currently out of this model and there was a lot of demand for it.

This. If you took said shirt back to store and bought a DIFFERENT shirt they wouldn't give you that shirt at the sale price. Or at least I've never had a store do that. I would never expect to return something and have them give me the regular price for it when I bought it on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    This. While it would be nice of them to give you the discount on the new item, you didn't buy it during the sale so I wouldn't expect the discount.
    You are right, I guess my expectations were too high based on the previously excellent service I got from them in the past and the fact that I have spent several thousands there on a new saddle and other stuff during the last year. I'll chalk it up to lesson learned but I hate that this will color my feelings about this tack shop in the future, it used to be my favorite!

Your argument is that they are then paying me to return an item, but they agreed to sell that item to me at that price during the sale in the first place!
    Hmmm... let's pretend a store buys item for $100, MSRP is $200 (this might be wildly inflated, but play along )

If the sell the item for $200, they have made $100 on that item. Bottom line: +$100

If they sell the item at a discount for $150, they have made $50 on that item. Bottom line: +$50

If they sell that item at a discount for $150, it is returned, and they give you $150 toward another item... bottom line: $0

If they sell you that item at a discount for $150, it is returned, and they give you $200 toward another item, there is a $50 discrepancy. Bottom line: -$50

Does that make sense? (I really do mean that- we seem to be considering this from very different angles, so I'm interested to know if that is logical... )

Let's look at it another way: if I buy a shirt from a retailer at 25% off, and later exchange it for another size after the sale is over, would I still pay the difference between the discounted and regular price then? I don't think so.
    The same shirt in a different size? Probably an even exchange. But a different shirt? You'll probably have to pay the difference.

I have to say, this is very interesting. I'm almost compelled to go talk to a friend who works in retail.

Why should the tack shop take a loss because you changed your mind about a purchase? That's not their problem. You had the option of purchasing item B during the sale (or not purchasing item B there at all), and you opted to purchase item A instead. Now "a while later," you've changed your mind, and you seem to feel entitled to a discount on an item you didn't purchase on sale to make up for voluntarily returning an item you did purchase on sale.

Had the tack shop mislabeled something, I might be able to see your point. But this was simply a case of you changing your mind, and unfortunately, you did so after the sale ended.

Whether the tack shop has item A in stock when you called about your "exchange" is irrelevant. This isn't a customer service issue either ... just because the tack shop didn't settle things to your liking does not mean you got poor customer service. It means your "exchange" was handled according to the policies of that store.

That was my thought process as well, thank you for confirming I am not crazy.

But you didn't.

Yes!

I exchanged some sweat pants I got for Christmas for a different size. They were on sale when my brother bought them for me. They were not on sale when I returned them. I had to pay the difference.

Did I like it? No. But I understand the point.

We are talking about two separate items here, right? The OP did not say she bought a shirt in a medium and now wants a small.

She said it was a different model and it was priced differently. This isn't a simple exchange of the same item.

Exactly.

I am of the opinion that if 2 different items (A&B) were in the sale, both worth $200 and both reduced to $150 and you bought A but then, after the sale was finished, decided that you would rather B, which in the meantime had gone back up to $200, then you would get a credit for the $150 that you paid for A, and then you would buy B for $200, plus the $10 shipping - i.e. you pay an extra $60.

The reality is that legally the no shop has any obligation to return a non-defective item, it just custom and good customer service.