The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What are these magical trailers?

After a recent visit to Belgium, we saw two horse bumper pull trailers that had a flat bed on the front to accommodate a marathon carriage. What a great setup they seemed to be. We only saw then from our car as we chased them down the highway, but it certainly caught our attention. They were not towed with anything out of the ordinary, just a full size SUV.

I have only seen those in europe and other countries. I thought it was really cool!!!

I am not sure if they are made specially or if you can get them from the manufacturer - I wish we had them in the US !!
    Morgans are Warmbloods in smaller packages!

They are making travel trailers like this. I was looking at them to put our golf cart on. Maybe we should start emailing the trailer companies, though probably only a brenderup type would be pullable by a SUV here in the US. Nothing against our trailer manufacturers, but they build those suckers so heavy you've got to have a monster truck to pull them, either that or our pulling vehicles went poopy on pull power. I remember as a kid we used to pull a little two horse with our mini van. Heck, i was watching The Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit the other day and they were pulling their trailers with their convertibles!

Ugh.... horse trailers with convertibles?!? Not good...

It's not the pulling part that you need a big heavy truck for, it's the stopping.... and even a light Brender up can be dangerous behind a little car if it's loaded up and you have to stop suddenly....

The concept in the OP sounds cool though.... wonder if we can find a pic??
    Concordia means "Harmony" in Latin.
    Full Time Dressage Addict

The Horse in the Grey Flannel Suit was filmed in 1968, cars were built a little differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    The Horse in the Grey Flannel Suit was filmed in 1968, cars were built a little differently.
    I understand this, but I'm speaking to the people who are trying to haul trailers with a tiny Ford Escape or something like that....
    Concordia means "Harmony" in Latin.
    Full Time Dressage Addict

This sounds like a perfect configuration! I'd love to find out more. Hopefully someone will be able to post a link.

As an aside, when we lived in England we pulled our camping trailer with a mid-sized Renault. The trailer was old and HEAVY -- all solid teak fittings, beautifully made, and weighed more than most 2-horse trailers here. The difference is that you don't usually go a great speed in the UK unless you're on the motorway. You're traveling winding two-lane roads with stone walls or hedgerows on either side.

British friends visited here a few years ago and accompanied me to a show. They were terrified when I pulled onto the highway with the four-horse stock trailer, even more so when I batted along at 50 mph. Terrified. It took me a while to realize that they tow their horses around with a Land Rover Discovery, and hadn't clicked that my 3/4 ton Suburban with towing package and assist brakes was a different animal entirely. I am not sure they ever really recovered from the experience.

Yes, we sure make vehicles differently than we did in the 60s, i'm not complaining really, you would probably be lucky to get 5mpg with a 60s convertible pulling a horse trailer!

Isnt the braking issue the point of putting a brake box in your tow vehicle and making the trailer do the stopping, not the vehicle?

I'm a huge fan of brenderups, just wish they made them bigger than 2 horse. Though i will admit that my steel monster 3 horse has been in a couple weird, freak accidents without a scratch and ponies unaware of what even happened, i dont know that a brenderup would have survived as well. But the ease of hitching a brenderup myself, the way it handles, i much prefer it over my beast of a trailer. I would LOVE a bigger trailer to fit my carts in, as right now i have to get them into the truck bed, but i'm not willing to invest in a bigger truck to pull a heavier trailer. I love my Toyota Tundra.

I know a used to be brenderup dealer that has a brenderup that is as old as i am, one of the first brought to the states. Sucker still looks like new, course it's been kept inside. I look at my steel trailer and want to scream that it's 3yrs old, rusting, and needs a new paint job!

I've been searching for pics of a trailer like the OP mentioned to no avail. Here is the camper trailer we were looking at that i think is similar, but of course, not a horse trailer:

http://kz-rv.com/coyote_rc/2011_photogallery.html

Default Europen contingent, please weigh in

Someone on the board must know what I am talking about. I should have followed those trailers and found out more about them.

OK Im really not good at doing archive searches - so Im not volunteering - -
    but a couple years ago someone posted a picture of one of those carriage trailers with the front platform - definitely european

Though it might be easier to load, I liike the convenience of having my stuff IN the trailer and covered - prevents -falling off, getting lifted, dealing with weather, etc
    but yes it is a bigger trailer

And about the issue of having the tow vehicle of suffiecient weight to stop the trailer. I never really got it until a work compatriot had his whole rig - a medium sized camping trailer pulled by an explorer - spun around and facing the opposite way on the PA turnpike from the backdraft from the trucks whizzing by.

The SUV was not hefty enough to hold the trailer on the road - scary!

Quote Originally Posted by Drive NJ View Post
    And about the issue of having the tow vehicle of suffiecient weight to stop the trailer. I never really got it until a work compatriot had his whole rig - a medium sized camping trailer pulled by an explorer - spun around and facing the opposite way on the PA turnpike from the backdraft from the trucks whizzing by.

The SUV was not hefty enough to hold the trailer on the road - scary!
    The other idea with having a large towing vehicle is that sometimes you MUST have that power to stop the trailer when the brake box or trailer brakes fail you. Even the best maintained trailer can have a failure in the brakes, maybe something gets under and pulls stuff loose. You the Driver MUST have a way to stop the load behind you anyway!

Pulling and moving the load is seldom the problem, it is ALL ABOUT stopping the load behind!! We know a couple folks who did the small truck or SUV with horse trailer and ended up wrecked. That slap of wind backdrafting from larger vehicles on the road just blew them off the road!! Made the trailer wobble, towing vehicle could not control the combination or stop it and they went over.

I would rather pay the extra fuel costs of bigger tow vehicle than have the trailer controling the tow vehicle. Your luck will run out sometime, I don't want to be around you when that happens.

Back in the days of steel vehicles, you saw all kinds of cars and station wagons pulling trailers. They had huge engines, weighed a lot more than some of today's pickups! My friend went to horse shows in her mother's Cadillac sedan with two horses behind! They never had any problems, hauled horses home from Canada and Colorado with the Caddie pulling the trailer. Times change and trailers, horses are much bigger, need bigger tow vehicles to stay in control of the trailer.

Think of the "worst case scenario" when setting up a tow vehicle and trailer. If all your helpful aids fail, no brakes, can you still stop the loaded trailer with the tow vehicle? On hills or mountains, quickly? These are what you need to consider when hitching and loading your trailers.

Guess it's all about risk management and the risks you are willing to take. Having seen a Brenderup have a run in with a semi. . . . and no the horse did not survive.

Thanks, I'll keep my big Dodge, and my Equispirit. Good advice from Goodhors with regard to "worst case scenario".

These are in europe and are the ones I am thinking of- I wish we had these here!!

http://www.devon-trailers.co.uk/hippo.htm
    Morgans are Warmbloods in smaller packages!

Wonder if you could contact the US brenderup rep and see if they could construct something similar. I mean, the trailer is essentially a brenderup type of trailer. If you wanted to stay as lightweight.

Now if you went to someone like Kieffer, they do a lot of custom made trailers i think and offer a flatbed range, they could probably do this too, or even featherlite as they make flatbed trailers as well. I wonder what this does for stability though, is the back end heavier? I would think it would be depending on how big the horses are that are in the trailer... I'm getting a mental picture of it half lifting the tow vehicle off the ground...

Cool idea. I might like it better if they did the lightweight type trailer but enclosed in front so the carriage doesnt get beat up with rock chips and such...

Wonder what it would cost to ship it over, would think it would be similar to shipping carriages...

Pegasusmom-I'm afraid my horses wouldnt survive in my steel trailer if it hit a semi either. I've seen a couple accidents with steel trailers where the horses had to be cut out of them and died in the process.

Pros and cons to all types of trailers and regardless, a trailer accident isnt going to be pretty no matter what that trailer is made of. I've been around brenderups quite a bit, love them and their owners love them and boy do i love borrowing them... I own my steel trailer because i need bigger and wanted a real tack room (and it was a third the price, course when you add in a new paint job on the sucker every few years, i would have done better off buying the darn brenderup!).

Quote Originally Posted by NCBreeder View Post
    These are in europe and are the ones I am thinking of- I wish we had these here!!

http://www.devon-trailers.co.uk/hippo.htm
    Seems it would make more sense to just get a 4-horse stock trailer and use the front for your carriage and put the horses in the back. That way your carriage is protected. I see that set up all the time...
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

We think the horses ride better in the front area, between the truck axle and the trailer axles, kind of the "hammock" suspension. Also having more weight in the back end can have a sway effect ESPECIALLY if you don't have enough truck in the front. This will sway on a gooseneck or bumper pull, I have had both kinds. Even a small horse at the back, 900 pounds in a 4 horse, can make that little truck have problems.

Riding over the axles can be very tiring on a trip, horses feel every bump.

When we went to the Pairs Championship in 1993 at Gladstone, some Western folks hauled out East to compete. They had horses in a trailer covering in front, with flatbed behind for vehicles. Very similar to this, just horses ahead instead of vehicles. Nicely built, horses were quiet, just odd to see them walking the length of flatbed, then into the covered portion for hauling. Carriages loaded after horses, traveled uncovered.

To each his own.

I don't own a steel trailer either. The equispirit is aluminum over a steel frame, the horses get encased in a roll cage.
    The now former owners of Equispirit did a lot a research, sold trailers for a lot of other companies and have published a great book about buying and maintaining horse trailers. If you haven't read it, you should, regardless of what type of trailer you favor. We all make choices - that's mine.

going off goodhorse's post...

Wouldnt it make more sense to have the horse compartment up front with a side ramp and slant configuration (so your horses dont have to walk the flatbed) you could have a front walk off ramp on the other side even. With a slant configuration you could then have an actual walk in tack room, the bulk of the weight would be in front of the axel, you can get your horses out in an emergency rather than have to unload the carriage to get them down the flatbed...

I guess depending on axel location, the wheels may get in the way of a side ramp...

I think for the OP, the apeal of this trailer was the light weight-pull by a smaller vehicle option? Thus something like this would be their solution and cut trailer weight by half.

Default NCBreeder - Thats it!

Thats the trailer set up we saw. I didn't mean for this to become a discussion of trailer weight, horse hauling, etc. as we are not looking for light weight. We have a bid Dodge PU, aluminum trailer and a flat bed so are set up to haul, but thought these were a neat solution with good access.

I think this is what y'all are looking for...they are KILLER!!

http://www.fautras.com/

Click through til you get to the one that has the place for the carriage. Wow...Love the LQ ones.

I have a Brenderup...It is the Bomb Dot Com but I would trade for one of the LQ ones like this in a heart beat!