The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default looking at a Merhow trailer

I am taking a look at a used 2H Merhow trailer this afternoon. Anyone have any experience with this brand? I don't know much about them. It seems very clean and in nice shape. Any advice is appreciated.

Default Love them.

I'm on my second. I had a largish 2 horse, with ramp and good sized dressing room - very nice. I sold it because I found it just a little too heavy for my half ton. I now have a 2 horse, with a ramp, and no dressing room. Empty it only weighs around 1700lbs and I can barely even feel it there. Really good quality trailers in my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback. this is a bp and I'd prefer a gooseneck but they are hard to find in a 2H. This one looks to be in nice shape and priced to sell. I am just looking for something to have should I need to trailer my guys locally or for a vet appt etc. I don't need anything fancy, just safe and good to haul.

Many moons ago, I used to borrow one from the BO and I LOVED that trailer. About 25 years later, he's still using it and it is in great shape and I'd still buy it off of him, although those older ones were quite a bit heavier than the new ones,I imagine.

I have never heard a bad report, although I'm sure they are out there...

NJR

There was just a thread over on Off Course about problems with a Merhow dealer.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Quote Originally Posted by EponaRoan View Post
    There was just a thread over on Off Course about problems with a Merhow dealer.
    And the company. The OP called the company and the company was not help either.

That's right - they were not willing to bend an inch and it was the dealer's error & the company really didn't give a fruitbat!

Here's a link to the thread:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ghlight=merhow
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

I thought Merhow was out of business now??

They are a good quality trailer.....

OP: if you are looking for a 2 horse gooseneck, Trail-et has a couple really nice models. They are also out of business now, but you can find them used.... I'm SO in love with the one I bought this spring, it pulls like a dream, is built well and has kept well over time.
    Concordia means "Harmony" in Latin.
    Full Time Dressage Addict

Thanks all for the info. I am not going through a dealer, this is a private party transaction. I wish I was in a position to be buying new, or nearly new. It sounds like overall, people are happy with the trailer quality. Hard to say how old the trailer is. I've only seen it by driving by. It is large which is perfect for my beasts and there is a dressing room which is a nice feature.

Thanks again for all the input!

Consider having the trailer inspected by a professional before purchase, pull hubs inpect brakes / frame etc = if it is an older FRP Merhow pay special attention to the walls and roof, looking for soft spots and bubbleing ( sp ) -
    Risa
    happytrailstrailers
    balancedridetrailers

I bought a Trail-et brand new with a 5 yr warranty on the roof and body. Bought it from dealer here in Ocala. The fiberglass roof had a small part come apart from the frame and there was also a small leak in the goose. Neither the company that bought Trail-et nor the dealer would honor the warranty. Word to the wise...get it in writing that either the company or the dealer will honor warranty including if the business is sold to another entity and for God's sake run screaming from any Exiss trailers!!!

LOVE my Merhow. I was told over 25 years ago that Merhows just never came up used. You're lucky that you found one. I think they usually get sold privately and never have to be advertised.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

Default I bought it!

Thanks everyone! I ended up buying the trailer. It was even cleaner up close. I am so excited. It is exactly what I was looking for for the right price. Every once in a while things do work out.

Cool! I have one and love it. I believe you will really be happy with it.
    Still Crazy After All These Years

Congrats! I have a 97 Merhow GN that I love. Great trailers, well built, and hold up well.

Default 96 Merhow Turfman

I have a 96 and it looks brand new. Compared to some of the newer trailers its sitting next too, its in great shape. I do wax it 2x a year and try to bring it to the car wash to get washed every few months, but other than that, its been a great trailer. I do keep it spotless, washing inside and out so it should last another 10 years easy ...

We have a 2003 Merhow Verylite 2H bumper pull. We love this trailer. It's large, open and airy. Most horses will load right in- it's a walk thru - negating all those years of climbing over/under and out little tiny doors. It pulls well and has a nice roomy dressing room.

"Back in the day" when I was growing up, Merhows were "the" trailer. Never thought I would have one! Someday we may upgrade to a 4 horse - we will look at Merhow first.

Enjoy your trailer.
    Last edited by dr j; Jul. 27, 2010 at 04:31 PM.