The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I'm on "stall rest" and going out of my mind!

So Friday night I ended up in the emergency room..I had been having leg pain for a couple of weeks, my ortho was on vacation and I decided to deal with it. Friday, my leg was swollen, so I called to make an appointment for this week. Well by 9pm, my leg was twice the size..literally, an elephant leg! I called my ortho, he told me to get to the ER ASAP, it sounded like a blood clot. An ultrasound revealed that it is a blood clot. I was admitted to the cardiac floor..the youngest and healthiest patient I was told by a nurse! No history of clots, I don't smoke and am active and healthy. Either this is from my birth control or 5 weeks ago, my 28 year old retired 14.3 hand quarter horse ran me over, sending me flying through the air about 6 feet..that could have started it.
    So now, here I am, home on "stall rest"...I haven't seen my horses since Friday night..luckily they are in very good hands of one of my boarders. I cannot do anything strenuous until my blood clot level reaches a 2...it is checked daily by a nurse who comes to the house. Today it is a whopping 1.5, up from 1.4 yesterday. I have to give myself injections twice a day in the stomach until the Cumodin kicks in and the number reaches 2. Mentally, that is really hard!! Today is the first day my leg hasn't been cramping, so I have been able to get on my computer a bit and not stay horizontal all day.
    I am going out of my freaking mind! I should be packing my barn up for my move next month to a new barn that I am leasing. At the very least, I should be cleaning the house or something productive.
    HELP! Anyone on stall rest? How did you manage? I have a few more days at the very least and even once my numbers are up, it could be a while before I am allowed to do anything. I can't even go to work..which is the only good thing, especially since I have AFLAC!!
    Suggestions? I really don't do nothing very well!

I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Welcome to my world!!! It's a life of regular blood tests, coumadin every night, etc....
    Glad you got to the ER and caught it early (and it didn't go to your lungs like mine)
    Enjoy your time off from work, and make lists (that's what I do) of what you need to pack, move, etc. I didn't see my horse for 2 weeks after I had mine, and the first time I saw him after was like heaven...you really do appreciate them sooo much more!
    Are you on the Lovenox injections? that only lasts for a while until you regulate, and then you'll be on coumadin for a while..if you are lucky, you will only have to take it for about 6 months - year, unless you end up like me, and they find out you have a blood clotting disorder (I have Factor V Leiden), where you'll be on meds your entire life, and have to have blood tests regularly. Mine has been irregular lately, going from 1.2 - 3.5 in the past month..for no reason...oh, and watch your intake of broccoli, spinach, and lettuce!
    Good luck, if you need to talk, feel free to PM me.

Wow, I am not alone! Yes, I am on the Levanox injections. I am down to the last 3, hopefully my number will be at 2 by then! Right now I am having daily blood checks and once the number hits 2, it will be weekly for 3-6 months, hopefully no longer. I am sorry you are on this for life. That really sucks. I cannot imagine that. I am going to have the testing to see if I have any factors that made that happen, but right now the doctor is going on the birth control and/or getting run over by the old witch (I know better than to get between her and food and an open gate!). Thanks for the advice!

Oh my God! I'm just glad the doctors found it before something horrible happened!

Do you like movies/TV? Netflix has a lot you can download right to your tv, and then they mail them to you. Any books you've been meaning to get to? Just a couple of thoughts...

Jingles from Wisconsin for a speedy and hopefully less boring recovery!

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Hopefully, it was just that one time thing for you...the first time I had a clot they thought it was the birth control...(I was only 23 and had just had my first baby by c-section) and at least they have improved treatment, back then I was in the hospital on bed rest for a week (literally couldn't even get out of bed to pee..which is not fun when you CANNOT use a bedpan)!!
    Then I had more clots just 2 yrs ago, totally out of the blue..that's when I was diagnosed with the disorder.I just saw you are in Winter Park..I'm in Pinellas, FL, and planning my horse's move to a new barn right now too. We could start our own Fl blood clot horse group...lol
    Hang in there..it gets better, and like I said, you are lucky you caught it early!
    Oh, and don't let them scare you with riding and being on blood thinners..my dr knows I ride, and said to just make sure I wear a helmet and there are people around when you ride.

Lori T, sorry for your experience and set back. Use this control time to forcus on you and to heal what needs time to heal. Allow yourself to let go of everything for just a bit and relax to gain the most of this healing time.

You would expect it from your horses, they expect it from you. They need their person back 150% for the next adventure coming up....

Blessings for a full recovery and very soon

Oh, Lori, so, SO sorry to hear this!!!

Well, maybe now we'll finally have some time to chat...?

Please check out the Parelli thread. There are some fabulous t shirts for sale there. Good for many laughs. That should keep you occupied for a bit!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

How about this for fun:

http://education-portal.com/articles...e_Courses.html

Make plans, like A, B, C ...
    Build the ideal barns in your mind, while laying there. You would be surprised how fast time passes then.

Delegate and try not to worry, this too shall pass.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Thanks! Pretty good way to pass the time!

Wow, so glad you got in to the ER and got this checked out!

No suggestions for passing the time - I'm a knitter and I know what I would be doing... Christmas isn't that far away!

Hope your numbers continue to improve and you are up and about soon!
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Sorry also to hear of your medical issues. This short span of time is WELL worth listening to ALL Of the doctor's orders and I will tell you why. About a year and one half ago I give "Birth" to a 20 year old daughter. What you say?

Her actual birth mother, a friend of mine, DID NOT listen to the doctors-thinking she was "bigger" than her medical issues. Even on the day her leg hurt and she still zipped up her boots, got in the truck, with trailer attached, horse inside and drove off. During that fateful trip my now daughter's birth mother had a fatal blood clot come loose and essentially got lodged and killed her, as she was driving down the highway.

I was there to pick up the pieces of my friend's daughter's life and my friend's daughter asked me to be her mom(She has other family). I am so honored and take the "job" very seriously. I can love her as if I did give birth to her, I can console her, teach her and on and on BUT I will never be HER mother.

Again, in the span of a lifetime, this recovery time is well worth a bit of inconvenience.

So sorry that this has happened to you. You MUST take care of yourself.

Just about everyone needs time to catch up on paperwork or correspondence. I don't work any more, but there's a ton of paperwork running a home and a little ranch. Maybe you can be productive in that way. I hate doing paperwork, but it must be done.

Catch up with reading. On off-topic days on COTH, often there is a thread about good books people are reading. Now would be a time you could read.

Perhaps you could spend time on creative pursuits such as creative writing, drawing, painting or crafts. Maybe you can learn to make a horsehair bracelet from your favorite horse's tail. I've seen directions somewhere on the internet. Google is your friend.

Best of luck to you. Try to keep smiling.

Thanks for the suggestions! Once I was able to sit for any length of time, I finished a horsehair bracelet and started another one, worked on our pony club website, organized pictures and did some writing! My numbers finally hit over 2 (2.7) and I went back to work today for the first time. I didn't plan on staying all day, but I did...glad I did, because on my way to lunch, I found a starving dog who had laid down to die from the heat under an overpass next to the office and who is now safe in a kennel at work getting food and water!
    Tomorrow is my half day at work and I plan on seeing my horses tomorrow night...my boarder is still doing the barn chores and my daughter's last final in calc 3 is tomorrow, so she will be home after that to help as well!!

Is it a DVT or a superficial clot?

In 2009 I had a superficial clot that lodged in the valve behind my knee. The pain was excruciating. I'm not kidding when I say it was worse than childbirth. I had gone to the ER on a saturday knowing full well it HAD to be a clot. But I was only 27 at the time and the ER docs literally blew me off and told me I had a pulled muscle in my leg. I remember holding my breath for 36 hours until I could get into my own doc, who sent me for a doppler. Why the ER didn't spend the 10 minutes to do the doppler I will never know, I'm just glad that clot didn't move...

When I got back in the saddle a few months later, it was noticeably weaker. I still have to ride with a longer stirrup to keep it from cramping up. 18 months later that leg still hurts. It will never be the same. It swells horribly and cramps terribly at night. I used to run long distances and will never be able to again.

I'm not on any hardcore blood thinners anymore, but staying hydrated and taking an aspirin a day helps the cramping/swelling.

Definitely listen to your doctor and follow their orders. Encourage your doc to do some bloodwork to see if you have clotting factors, if they've not done that already. And definitely go off the Birth Control.

Hope I wasn't too much doom-and-gloom I guess it just pisses me off that the damn leg still hurts...!

Jingles for a swift recovery!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Well, for pure entertainment and time killing I recommend Horse Isle (http://hi1.horseisle.com). It's free but if you join you get other benefits and it only costs $5.00 a month. It's an on-line game that is filled with quests, horse capturing, horse training, puzzles, you name it. For a while I was in need of an intervention, but I got the patch and am okay now.

The developers have added Horse Isle 2 (http://hi2.horseisle.com) - but I like 1 better although I do play both.

I hope your back to normal soon. Good luck. I hate being stuck indoors.

I'm glad they were able to catch it in time, and I hope you fell better soon.
    Can I join your club? I haven't been able to ride since March, and it's looking like I won't until October. I even had a new show outfit, and I missed the whole season. grrr

Netflix. I love you, but you can only do so much.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    Is it a DVT or a superficial clot?

In 2009 I had a superficial clot that lodged in the valve behind my knee. The pain was excruciating. I'm not kidding when I say it was worse than childbirth. I had gone to the ER on a saturday knowing full well it HAD to be a clot. But I was only 27 at the time and the ER docs literally blew me off and told me I had a pulled muscle in my leg. I remember holding my breath for 36 hours until I could get into my own doc, who sent me for a doppler. Why the ER didn't spend the 10 minutes to do the doppler I will never know, I'm just glad that clot didn't move...

When I got back in the saddle a few months later, it was noticeably weaker. I still have to ride with a longer stirrup to keep it from cramping up. 18 months later that leg still hurts. It will never be the same. It swells horribly and cramps terribly at night. I used to run long distances and will never be able to again.

I'm not on any hardcore blood thinners anymore, but staying hydrated and taking an aspirin a day helps the cramping/swelling.

Definitely listen to your doctor and follow their orders. Encourage your doc to do some bloodwork to see if you have clotting factors, if they've not done that already. And definitely go off the Birth Control.

Hope I wasn't too much doom-and-gloom I guess it just pisses me off that the damn leg still hurts...!

Jingles for a swift recovery!
    Wow, so the fact that I have pain in my leg still is normal? I mentioned it to my nurse and Dr. but they weren't too concerned. And now, to top it off, it seems I have insomnia...2 nights of no sleep and I was exhausted yesterday after work..not sure if it is from the cuomodin or from stopping the birth control. I have also gone from being cold at night and sleeping with 3 blankets to now sleeping with a sheet, and not wearing a heavy long sleeved shirt under my scrubs at work..so I guess my body is going thru some adjustment period. What fun

I had a blood clot in college, when a steer stepped on my little toe. Clot moved into my calf. Ended up in the hospital and on IV heparin and then coumadin after I was discharged. This was about 35 years ago, so what they told me then may have been from the flat-earth school of medicine. I had some leg pain in the beginning, but doctor said if I continued to exercise, the circulatory system would eventually adjust. IIRC, they said the vein with the clot would be absorbed, and smaller veins and capillaries would expand to do the work. It must have, because over time the pain eased and my leg didn't feel so "loggy."

But as I said, it was a long time ago.

Good luck and heal well.